Prestone MAX All Vehicles vs Prestone Platinum All Vehicles. What's the difference?

Does anyone know what the difference is between Prestone MAX All Vehicles and Prestone Platinum All Vehicles? Both are 15 year/350,000 mile coolant. They seem to have similar if not identical tech specs. Only differences I see are the MAX is yellow while the Platinum is flourescent green/ yellow and only the Platinum has their Cor-guard technology mentioned.

I'd reach out to Prestone & ask them. I's seen one of their antifreeze ingredients that made it Organic technology so subtle differences can change things. Let us know what they say if you can. Probably just positioned for different engines.

I can tell you what I don't like about either one, that is they require a 56/44 mix ratio versus the standard 50/50. Why do I dislike this? Because although this coolant may protect longer, it will have less thermal transfer efficiency due to less water. To me, even cheap Dexclones will protect the engine fine, we really don't need something beyond that to have an engine go several hundred thousand miles without cooling system issues. I know this from first hand experience, using Dexclones starting around 2007 to present (never had one single issue and all the cooling systems I've used it in are pristine). But having less heat transfer capability may make a difference over the long term, when it comes to things like head gasket longevity.

I actually almost bought Platinum the first time I saw it at Walmart. When I carefully read the label on the back, I saw the required ratio and put it back on the shelf. If ultimate longevity is the goal, Peak Global Lifetime had that covered starting nearly two decades ago.

I can tell you what I don't like about either one, that is they require a 56/44 mix ratio versus the standard 50/50. Why do I dislike this? Because although this coolant may protect longer, it will have less thermal transfer efficiency due to less water. To me, even cheap Dexclones will protect the engine fine, we really don't need something beyond that to have an engine go several hundred thousand miles without cooling system issues. I know this from first hand experience, using Dexclones starting around 2007 to present (never had one single issue and all the cooling systems I've used it in are pristine). But having less heat transfer capability may make a difference over the long term, when it comes to things like head gasket longevity.

I actually almost bought Platinum the first time I saw it at Walmart. When I carefully read the label on the back, I saw the required ratio and put it back on the shelf. If ultimate longevity is the goal, Peak Global Lifetime had that covered starting nearly two decades ago.
Interesting thought and it’s true that pure water has a better heat transfer coefficient, Vehicles in the northern states typically run a 60/40 mixture. I run that and have drive in temps above 100 F with absolutely no overheating issues. Here is a screen shot mentioning the pre-mixed ratio of 56/44. They chose that because they wanted to make sure it’s universally useful in all States, including Alaska. It’s good to -50 F. Also the higher concentration is equal to more corrosion protection to get 15 years of use out of it. So, if someone in Texas or Arizona was worried about running it at 120 ambient temps, so be it, but unless it’s tested in those vehicles at this point it is theoretical but not actually proven. The boil over protection is 268 F. Also, since pre-mixed coolants are more popular, starting at 56/44 gives a better chance of giving adequate freeze protection for folks who are not replacing their coolant correctly. Thank’s for the post and welcome to Bitog.

1ABF95E5-03C6-46A7-AA01-12EA9F450419.jpeg

Last edited:
A lot of pre-mixed coolants are already at 50/50. This is how folks in southern States are getting away with adding pre-mixed coolants without doing a proper flush and fill. It was freezing in Houston back in January. Even a 17% mixture would have been good enough after dilution.

281C0EA9-3B85-477E-A1DE-DA0BD8D364A0.jpg
2A0942C9-FD6E-4D68-A4FD-D18CF73D19DA.jpg
EC88E807-ADEC-4DA7-AF17-DF65B1E7A4C3.jpeg

Last edited:
I've only seen 'Platinum' in Walmart and 'Max' in AZ (or maybe it was AA) so I assumed they were the same but labeled differently to justify the price difference.

My question is what's the difference between the 10 year Prestone AMAM and the 15 year/350K 'Platinum'.....which I assume is more of some ingredient....hopefully not 2-EHA.

I've only seen 'Platinum' in Walmart and 'Max' in AZ (or maybe it was AA) so I assumed they were the same but labeled differently to justify the price difference.

My question is what's the difference between the 10 year Prestone AMAM and the 15 year/350K 'Platinum'.....which I assume is more of some ingredient....hopefully not 2-EHA.
2EHA at your service.

BA45CE95-3EC6-48FA-9A91-257B73F3DCB7.jpg

And here is the data sheet for Prestone MAX. They happen to have the same ingredients except the data sheet for the Platinum happened to be the premixed version. There is a concentrated version as well. Not sure why one is a 15 year product and one is a 10 year product. One needs to read the fine print. As for the 2EHA haters, they’re SOL. :D

B825A51E-7399-486F-A1BF-4F4A976C051C.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: pbm
Prestone claims the same life for concentrate Max/Platinum too. I think the phosphate level is different. The pre-mix is at a 56/44 level, unlike 50/50 for regular.

In what has to be one of the best marketing efforts of the century, I printed the SD sheets for four colourful jugs of Prestone Max and three have the same ingredients and concentration limits and only one has an extra ingredient ( and at a concentration of up to only 1%).

They all have 2EHA and three of the products are rated for 15 years. The Violet - Audi, VW, Porsche, Mercedes product has 1% or less of Sodium Tolyltriazole, the only difference from the three other jugs. Surprisingly that product is only rated for 5 years. ( always read the fine print). Maybe this will be the solution for the hand wringing oat, poat, phoat folks. Whatever floats your boat. :oops:

B7190FAA-B6AB-4ECC-8821-247C95B5A677.jpg
9060F40E-D44D-45B2-943A-D7D9C7EAE7DE.jpg
B3033EEC-495A-47C4-93E2-D6F2033D3CD4.jpg
07249EAE-377C-456D-83DC-C307FABC939F.jpg

Last edited:
Back