Compatible with Toyota Red?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any coolants that are compatible with Toyota red long life coolant? I hate asking but i had a heater hose leak and i need to put something in there asap! I am 70 miles from the nearest toyota stealership and they are not open until monday! I am 15 miles from a Bumper to Bumper and 30mi from a NAPA. I am very weary about adding straight distilled H2O seeing that it is -20C outside.
BTW I have a 50/50 mix and need at least 2L and up to 4L to get back to normal level.

I called my local dealership, and they told me there wasn't anything you could buy off the shelf that would be compatible.

Having said that, they then told me it would be better if you went ahead and put another anti freeze in there until you could get the right stuff from your dealer, but you would need to do a complete flush at that point.

Good luck :)

I'm going to be going with the Peak Global lifetime or longlife in my Corolla and change it out every 3-4 years with distilled water.

I'll flush the factory out real well and get on with it. I'm not going to pay for the Toyota Pink or Red.

I've got 122k on the factory fill so I'll get on it soon.

For the OP, I'd just get what ever says works with all makes and then when you get a chance do the flush and get something that is easier to get.

Take care, bill

thank you hate2work...i couldn't even call the nearest dealership because of the stat holiday Boxing Day
mad.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tuckman
thank you hate2work...i couldn't even call the nearest dealership because of the stat holiday Boxing Day
mad.gif

You're welcome, I hope it works out for you :)

Originally Posted By: tuckman
Are there any opinions on what coolants are good in toyota 22RE's?
I had a 22r in my 1982 truck (which is still running. It is a Rusty one now) and just used Prestone green every 3 years.

Now that it is 2009, I guess we need special coolant.

I think if you flush out the old coolant, anything is going to work ok. These newer motors have aluminum heads, blocks with special plastics, aluminum radiators, heater cores and most of @#$&! head gaskets that require the different coolants.

I'm going to take the risk and go with what I said above.

Take care, bill

I am not sure what prestone green is like now but the high silicate count was reaking havoc on 22R RE and the 3.0L. in the past.
This is what i read on toyotanation.com.

I still have the original radiator and heater core...only changed the head gasket because i pulled the head because of the timing chain and exhaust manifold leak. the original owner was very religious about the toyota red coolant. But getting the red stuff is now a huge PIA!

thanks for your opinion

Peak Longlife has no silicates.

Yeah, not sure what Prestone has/had but no problems with my old 22r.

The only thing it has had is a new carb (it came off a wreaked truck) around 200k. And a few mufflers.

Rust is its problem. The bed was gone a few years ago and now the cab is having major problems in the foot wells. I doubt it will pass safety this next year.

Take care, bill

Yeah mine doesn't even have a box anymore, i built a flat deck with all pressure treated lumber. Its perfect for a go to work truck. I put a mild performance cam in and ported out the intake, new valves and tighter springs. Then 2 1/4" exhaust with a flowmaster 40. Still good mileage except when i put too much foot into it.
too bad to hear she is rusting out bad like that.

I just got back from the store and normal Prestone (the stuff that you mix for $9 gallon) has no silicates either.

They have a rebate for 2 gallons for $9.

If you flush out the old stuff and put in the new prestone I guess everything will be ok.

I think that is what I'm going to do with my 05 Corolla.

We did the same thing with the 82 SR5, put a flat bed on it.

Take care, bill

First are we talking the old Prestone green stuff (minus most of the silicates) or some new Prestone all makes/all models extended life AF.

I would flush out the old stuff and go with Zerex G-05 or Peak Global.

If you do not want to flush out the old stuff, then just do a radiator drain and refill twice with Peak Global.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
I just got back from the store and normal Prestone (the stuff that you mix for $9 gallon) has no silicates either.

They have a rebate for 2 gallons for $9.

If you flush out the old stuff and put in the new prestone I guess everything will be ok.

I think that is what I'm going to do with my 05 Corolla.

We did the same thing with the 82 SR5, put a flat bed on it.

Take care, bill

I'm not so sure about that Prestone all makes stuff anymore. I put it in my dad's Toyota van after a chemical flush and I also installed it in the Saturn.

The coolant looks and smells bad after only a year or two. It has an awful "dirty socks" smell. In fact, when I took some out of the Saturn this morning, it was light brown.

Not sure what's up with this stuff.

Based on the back of the jug, the Peak Global will work for top off in the Toyota.

I just changed out the Toyota pink (red?) in my Sienna for some Peak Global.

I drained the factory fill, flushed three times with water, ran each flush for 10 min., and then went back with the Peak Global.

All the pink didn't come out.

Hope I didn't create a problem for myself.

But if you're just trying to get to Toyota for a flush and factory red refill, you won't have any problem with the Peak top off.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Based on the back of the jug, the Peak Global will work for top off in the Toyota.

I just changed out the Toyota pink (red?) in my Sienna for some Peak Global.

I drained the factory fill, flushed three times with water, ran each flush for 10 min., and then went back with the Peak Global.

All the pink didn't come out.

Hope I didn't create a problem for myself.

But if you're just trying to get to Toyota for a flush and factory red refill, you won't have any problem with the Peak top off.

Do you think the thermostat was fully open in the 10 minutes you ran the engine each time during a flush?

The thermostat should have been open.

The first drain was fresh off a 45 minute trip.

On each 10 minute flush, I took the car around the block until it reached normal operating temp. again.

I had the heater running full blast.

I have some flush T's that work great...my last flush i had the hose connected all over the place, i flushed each hose i could get to. I may have went overboard but i know there was not a drop of coolant after i was done. I even went for a drive with straight water got it up to operating temp with the heater blasting hot air. Came back and it was still clear, well except for some scale that came out. I am going to go to NAPA tomorrow and see what they carry on a regular basis and make my choice from there. I hope they have Peak Global...i will post with the choices tomorrow for input.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
The thermostat should have been open.

The first drain was fresh off a 45 minute trip.

On each 10 minute flush, I took the car around the block until it reached normal operating temp. again.

I had the heater running full blast.

I would have kept the heater off except for maybe the last minute or two, the car would have heated up more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back