M1 0W-40, BMW 335i, 3.0L I6, Twin Turbo DI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobil 1 0W-40, 1150 miles @ 6400 miles total, in BMW 335i, Twin Turbo DI 3.0L I6. Another example of a fuel diluting monster.

Originally posted by fastterd in European and Import Motor Oils

UOA335i.jpg

Pablo, a quick google search says that Boron Nitride and Boron Nickel are used in gas turbines. I'd guess that in wear analysis of a turbine that boron might be considered a wear contaminant.

Quote:

Pablo, a quick google search says that Boron Nitride and Boron Nickel are used in gas turbines. I'd guess that in wear analysis of a turbine that boron might be considered a wear contaminant.

Wow - exotic turbos in a BMW. Cool.....but wow that much B wear is troubling. Are we sure there is no B in M1 0W-40? Most M1's (and many other oils) now contain Boron from 50-250 PPM.

Quote:

RS4, thanks for posting this. Do you know what the off the charts boron means?

VeeDubb, Mobil 1 0W-40 has 188 ppm of Boron in a VOA on BITOG. I believe it is an antiwear additive.

Quote:

Quote:

RS4, thanks for posting this. Do you know what the off the charts boron means?

VeeDubb, Mobil 1 0W-40 has 188 ppm of Boron in a VOA on BITOG. I believe it is an antiwear additive.

There is a weird echo in here! I said it's an additive, you said it's in the turbo (or were you refering boron nitriding - hardening in turbine engines?) Oh well same answer
cool.gif
wink.gif
ooo.gif

I realize this is not your UOA, but the other oils would be interesting to know as well.
I assume that all the samples were taken when the oil was changed.
What filters were used?
It's funny that 2.26% fuel is only a watch & not a warning.
Any additives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back