cheapo FI cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a bottle of Fuel Inj. cleaner for $1.00. You know, from the Wal Mart clearence rack... This stuff any good? Better than nuthin? Should keep it away from my car?

hornets_nest.gif

In my mind the only true cheapo cleaner is berrymans b12. By this I mean its the lowest cost one that does any cleaning.

If you use quality gasoline (Top Tier) you would not need these cleaners ! I have 212000 miles on my Tahoe and the injectors are still perfect, allways fuel with Shell, Chevron or Texaco, and Rotella 15W - 40 every 3000 miles and complete fluids change every 30 K. Still no oil use between changes nor any replacement parts other than wear items, brakes, tires, belts, etc.

Originally Posted By: Stormyday
If you use quality gasoline (Top Tier) you would not need these cleaners

The only top tier station around my area is BP, all the rest are budget name stations, Casey's, Kum and Go, Farm Service to name a few. I feel our fuel supply pretty much sucks.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
But it's not like this whole top tier stuff guarantees you highest amounts of additives. According to this investigation, BP gas has almost as much additives as Shell, and way more than some other supposed top tier gasolines such as Mobil.

Watch the video in this article:
http://www.kjrh.com/dpp/news/local_news/...fuel-efficiency

Agreed. I don't buy into that top tier hype. I've seen tankers dump fuel at Shell drive a mile down the road and drop fuel to a no name station. Many times a local Shell station will get fuel dropped very late at night from no name tankers.

Quote:
I've seen tankers dump fuel at Shell drive a mile down the road and drop fuel to a no name station. Many times a local Shell station will get fuel dropped very late at night from no name tankers.

+1

It's not uncommon (at least in Canada) for fuel suppliers to "trade" litres (or gallons) of fuel for areas that are not on major routes. Coop in western Canada is swapped with PetroCanada and Shell on a fairly regular basis for fuel in Eastern Canada.

I believe a routine FI cleaner is good practice - especially because like Pete pointed out with his article you never know if you are getting it where you gas up. Even my BMW dealer actively sells their injector cleaner (recommended for every oil change) - so as far as I am concerned everybody should do it at least once in a while. (Great for STORMYDAY who's Tahoe is doing so well without cleaning - did you actually pull out the injectors and inspect them though? or do you just assume all is good because you have no problems.?)

Originally Posted By: Towncivilian
Originally Posted By: Big_Kat
The only top tier station around my area is BP, all the rest are budget name stations, Casey's, Kum and Go, Farm Service to name a few. I feel our fuel supply pretty much sucks.

BP is not top tier.

Talk about double whammy,,, I guess that leaves MFA oil the only tip tier in southern Iowa..

According to this test BP's detergents are up there with the Top Tier stations. The few BP's around me are always overpriced though. I can usually get Shell gas for a lot cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back