Not open for further replies.
M1
approved.gif

1949 Dodge Pickup: 43,000 actual miles: Mobil 1 10W-40
1951 Plymouth: 79,000 actual miles: Mobil 1 15W-50
1996 V-6 Camry: 182,000 miles: Mobil 1 10W-30
2001 V-6 Mustang: 76,000 miles: Motorcraft 5W-20
2003 V8 Tundra 4WD 72,000 miles: Delvac 1 5W-40

I like Mobil 1. But, my wife's Ford likes the Motorcraft.
Bash Mobil 1 all you will. A giant like Mobil, I cannot foresee, lowering the quality of a product for which they've been the sales leader, by a LARGE margin for many years. There's just too much profit fot them to risk lowering their standards and loosing a bunch of customers.

Quote:

Bash Mobil 1 all you will. A giant like Mobil, I cannot foresee, lowering the quality of a product for which they've been the sales leader, by a LARGE margin for many years. There's just too much profit fot them to risk lowering their standards and loosing a bunch of customers.

You're forgetting one big thing though, Exxon took over Mobil 1, and they are more concerned about profits than anything else. And they also know that 99.9% of the people who buy Mobil 1 right now will continue to buy it and won't have a clue about the technical differences in the newest stuff compared to previous stuff. How many Mobil 1 buyers are going to get oil analysis done? Not many at all, and Exxon knows this. So they realize that they will continue to sell huge quantities of Mobil 1 based on past reputation. So in order to make even more money than before, they lower their costs on making the product. This means a lesser quality Mobil 1. Those of us on BITOG know this, but most of the motoring public has no clue. It's just like Fram oil filters. They once were good, now they use cheap materials, but most of the people who change their own oil use Fram filters, and these people truly believe Fram is the best. Good advertising and past reputation can do miracles.

Quote:

Quote:

You're forgetting one big thing though, Exxon took over Mobil 1, and they are more concerned about profits than anything else. And they also know that 99.9% of the people who buy Mobil 1 right now will continue to buy it and won't have a clue about the technical differences in the newest stuff compared to previous stuff. How many Mobil 1 buyers are going to get oil analysis done? Not many at all, and Exxon knows this. So they realize that they will continue to sell huge quantities of Mobil 1 based on past reputation. So in order to make even more money than before, they lower their costs on making the product. This means a lesser quality Mobil 1. Those of us on BITOG know this, but most of the motoring public has no clue. It's just like Fram oil filters. They once were good, now they use cheap materials, but most of the people who change their own oil use Fram filters, and these people truly believe Fram is the best. Good advertising and past reputation can do miracles.

Agree 1000% Pat, But like I highlighted in your text above that MOST BITOG have NOT done a UOA with Mobil 1 and another oil to see which really is better.

And there are MANY BITOG members who anything but Mobil 1 is not as good. (sort like a Amsoil poster here)
smirk.gif

Marketing is a great thing... For Exxon/Mobil...
tongue.gif

Bill
patriot.gif

If an oil like Pennzoil Platinum is about as good as Mobil 1 and costs less I can't see using the Mobil 1. As far as anybody here can determine Mobil 1 is now largely a Group III oil. A lot of synthetic oils are Group III. Might as well pick the cheapest name brand synthetic you can find.

Maybe the additive package in Mobil 1 is really outstanding. But can the additives in Mobil 1 really be that much better than the additives in Pennzoil Platinum-or Chevron Synthetic?

Bill/Pat, sometimes I agree with that 100%, but I think that is being short sighted. Formulations change all the time and the next version or versions could be better. At one time Amsoil was no better than M1. Only about 2-3 years ago. As long as M1 remains in racing and with the major OEM's I don't think they can skimp that much.
twocents.gif
Who knows though, you guy's could be right.

Quote:

1949 Dodge Pickup: 43,000 actual miles: Mobil 1 10W-40
1951 Plymouth: 79,000 actual miles: Mobil 1 15W-50
1996 V-6 Camry: 182,000 miles: Mobil 1 10W-30
2001 V-6 Mustang: 76,000 miles: Motorcraft 5W-20
2003 V8 Tundra 4WD 72,000 miles: Delvac 1 5W-40

Bash Mobil 1 all you will. A giant like Mobil, I cannot foresee, lowering the quality of a product for which they've been the sales leader, by a LARGE margin for many years.

Okay, you like Mobil 1, but based on what? The mileage above? Sorry, you could've done just as well with most other oils, including dino. Those aren't high mileages. Did you do any UOA's to confirm your selection? The Mobil 1 of today is NOT the same (read: as good) as the Mobil 1 of a few years ago.

Quote:

There's just too much profit fot them to risk lowering their standards and loosing a bunch of customers.

But there's MORE profit in using cheaper base stocks and charging the same or more for it. It will much more than make for any customers who switch in protest.

Quote:

Yes, but no better than with many other oils, including PP, blends, and dinos, for less than half the price.

If you chose a synthetic for a reason, like performance at temperature extremes, blends and dinos aren't close substitutes. If you don't need a synthetic, discussion of synthetics is moot.

Sticking with synthetics, a quick look at Amsoil, Valvoline, Quaker State, and Pennzoil in the Used Oil analyses with Toyota engines doesn't show any with performance superior to the Mobil 1 formulas.

So, if you need a synthetic and drive a Toyota, the Mobil 1 line looks like it's worth considering if it's available in your area at a competitive price.

Welcome Michel R. It's good to see another engineer on here who thinks critically. Many (not all) members here don't really think at all, let alone critically.

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, but no better than with many other oils, including PP, blends, and dinos, for less than half the price.

If you chose a synthetic for a reason, like performance at temperature extremes, blends and dinos aren't close substitutes. If you don't need a synthetic, discussion of synthetics is moot.

Sticking with synthetics, a quick look at Amsoil, Valvoline, Quaker State, and Pennzoil in the Used Oil analyses with Toyota engines doesn't show any with performance superior to the Mobil 1 formulas.

So, if you need a synthetic and drive a Toyota, the Mobil 1 line looks like it's worth considering if it's available in your area at a competitive price.

But does M1 show to be superior than any of those other oils you listed? Just because none of them show better than M1 does not mean that they are showing worse. Everything I have seen shows Toyotas do equally well with any oil

Quote:

But does M1 show to be superior than any of those other oils you listed? Just because none of them show better than M1 does not mean that they are showing worse.

I didn't say they were worse.

I said if you need a synthetic and drive a Toyota, the Mobil 1 line looks like it's worth considering if it's available in your area at a competitive price.

That's just it...it's usually not competitive. We've talked ad nauseum about how much cheaper you can find PP, QS, and other synthetics that give as good or better results than M1. Why pay $5-6/qt for M1 when you can get PP or QS for $2.84 at AA on the BOGO special, or less at PB and C/S/K?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back