What is alternative to Yama W-2 and Ring Free?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The ring free is made by chevron and is simular to the techron concentrate. I've used valvtect carbon free from BoatersWorld and some of the merc and omc stuff, all seem to work.

The w-2 oil is formulated for the cat convertor and DI, the trend seems to be using moly as the aw additive. Citgo, who makes the yamalube, has a simular product. So does quicksilver and many others, the key I would suspect is the verbage direct injection on the product.

From the AMSOIL website: AMSOIL INTERCEPTOR Synthetic 2-Cycle Oil is recommended as an injector oil or at a 50:1 mix ratio in carbureted, electronic fuel Injected (EFI) and direct fuel injected (DFI) snowmobiles, personal watercraft, motorcycles, ATVs and jet boats, including, but not limited to, those manufactured by Bombardier®, Yamaha®, Arctic Cat®, Polaris®, Kawasaki®, Suzuki® and Honda®.

AMSOIL P.I. dissolves and removes fuel system deposits and other contaminants for improved overall vehicle performance. AMSOIL P.I. restores the original operating efficiencies of fuel injectors, intake valves, carburetor and other components. Its unique corrosion inhibitors prevent moisture accumulation, its lubricity reduces friction and wear in the combustion chamber and an antioxidant stabilizes the fuel.

The amsoil interceptor that tim is plugging, is good oil, but is more comparable to yamalube S. Both using an lowash detergent package (something amsoil calls "double treat". And use more conventional additive anti wear adds. Yamalube W uses an ashless dispersant and an add package geared toward the catalytic convertor and happy fishies.

Quote:

Tim: Everything Honda makes (Marine or PWC or ATV) is a
4 stroke.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Honda makes lots of 2 stroke dirt bikes. They sell 2 stroke oil. Lot's of Honda 2 stroke machines all over the world. I was quoting the AMSOIL website.

Here is AMSOIL's recommendation from their on "Power Sports Application Guide" for Yamaha 2 stroke personal watercraft.

GROUP 2
2-STROKE OUTBOARD AND PERSONAL WATERCRAFT OILS (TC-W3)
Select the product that meets the requirements of your equipment.
Pre-Mix ATO AMSOIL Saber Outboard Designed for pre-mix applications at fuel/oil ratios up to
Only 100:1. For use when a TC-W3 oil is called for.
Injector or HPI AMSOIL HP Injector Advanced outboard injector oil. Can also be used as
Pre-Mix a pre-mix oil up to 50:1. For use when a TC-W3 oil
is called for.
Injector or TDR AMSOIL Dominator Recommended for use in modified engines or those
Pre-Mix used in competition. Can be used as an injector oil or
pre-mixed up to 50:1. Not recommended for long-term
use in non-modified normal recreational outboards.

We have a 1999 Yamaha 200 Fx66 Salt Water Series engine - 6 cylinder, fuel injected two stroke.

We've always used the recommended Yamalube 2-M - http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard/apparel/apscitemdetail/3/121/all/1/4039/detail.aspx
described as "2-Stroke Semi-Synthetic Injector Oil For Outboard Motors"

West Marine also sells " Ultra High Performance TC-W3 2-Cycle Outboard Oil" described as a synthetic blend. Pennzoil offers a fully synthetic TC-W3 oil.

Anyone try these in an FI Yamaha or similar engine? We get a little smoke on startup but I'd like to get rid of that as well. The Yamalube is about $23 per gallon. Pennzoil is $30 and the West Marine product, about $19.

Lot of the smoke on start up isn't the oils fault. It's from residual fuel and oil in the case, plus the poor atomization of the fuel charge agaist the cold parts. No experience with the your 6 cylinder motor but have found many of the oil injected engine that smoke excessivly (when hot) are using way too much oil. My tohatsu 140 was like that when new and I verified it by accurately keeping track of fuel to oil usuage. The dealer adjust the pump back as far as he could and it still used too much. I ended up adjusting it more (modified the lever) until I got a solid 50:1 and it's been great ever since, even with cheap oil. On the other side of the coin my buds big suzuki was an oil pig and he continued to keep pouring more oil in it. It stuck the rings and had to be warranteed repaired, after a fight about the oil he was using. Bottomline, check your usuage and adjust accordingly.

For those who mentioned TC-W3 I cant use it. The GP1200R has a catalytic converter which requires the W-2 oil.

So Citgo and Quicksilver makes W-2 type oils also?

Amsoil DOES NOT make a oil thats suitable for use in a engine calling for Yamalube W-2. Neither does Citgo as far as I know.
I would stick with W-2 as it like most Yamaha oils is good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back