Tire Pile Diving

Status
Not open for further replies.
After reading the thread where people state when it is they change their tires and thought it would be funny to tell some tire pile diving stories.

I see some people do not accrue miles as fast as I do and toss tires away from age, not wear, but I plow through them fast. The way I compensate for being so tire-needy is by opportunisticly grabbing usable tires to get me through summer. Summer "smokers" I call them.

Anyway, my new spot for high-end tire diving is behind my BMW/Audi/VW/Porsche dealer. Those guys love me. They tell me I'm their "favourite" customer. This is not to be confused with being their "Best" customer. Their "Best" customers wear real fur and pay every imaginable charge with Platinum American Express without question. That's a luxury to me. I patiently wait my turn behind the "Best" customers to #@$%! with the service guys. I BYO parts, fiddle with my cars after they have been checked-in for service, get all kinds of silly perks and best of all I pay only "internal" rates for labour! The fact I give monthly oil lectures is a given and probally what amuses them the most. (?how could ~any~ customer know more about oil than the techs?)
confused.gif

Tire Pile Diving is my new self-appointed "right". Sort of a "Customer Satisfaction" campaign. In fact, last week was a bit of a trifecta. 1) I used their dumpster for disposal of building materials, inc a busted toilet. 2) Scored 4 nice pre-owned tires. 3) Used their hose to rinse my car down. (An Acura, not sold there)
laugh.gif

I guess I should explain why there are actually usuable tires waiting to for a new home at the dealer. Ironicly, the same reason I feel compelled to perform this stunt is the same reason there are nice tires sitting unattended there, quattro. What happens is there are nice oem tires on these new cars and basicly the tires for my RSX is the same size as an Audi A4. So 205/55-16 goes on the new cars and since they are quattro, all 4 must be kept the same make and model...people have to toss all 4 as a set if 1 or 2 are bad. Not rotating leaves edged fronts and rears with 5-6/32nds. When I owned Audi quattros, it was a total PAIN to keep all 4 tires the same, now that I have the FWD Acura can mix & match sets of 2, I am going to do it. Dammit!
mad.gif

So, I check the pile, there are some jumbo Porsche tires which I should grab single ones and sell EBay. The ones I get in my size are as good as the ones on EBay that people sell. So, I got a few Michelins before, last time was 2 Turanza EL-42 RFT (&169ea a @TR) and 2 Sumitomo..."smokers". As a side, I get to try a lot of different tires and have fun at the same time. Currently on NEW Kumho ASX in front and my oem Michelins Pilots on rear. The Turanza EL-42 RFTs are heavy. Probally will go on the rear.
A long time ago, I grabbed set of expensive Nordic snows from the side/behind a tire retailer...literally like new. I suppose someone did not want them anymore??? I made GOOD use of them at a time I could not afford snows.

The Universe is in Harmony.
thumbsup.gif

One more emoticon...
ufo.gif

PS I'd like to post this in General, but only the Tire Forum guys could ever understand it.
crazy.gif

They let you just take them? At my local tire place I sometimes see good atv tires that I would like to get but I was always too afraid to ask. The pile is fenced off so I cant just grab them.

Warlord,

"Just Grab Them" sounds a lot like STEALING!! Grow cahonies and ask! If not free, I'll bet they'd be reasonable. As a small shop owner, used tire sales have allways been a part of my income. Seldom get much out of tire itself but I feel mount and balance are my due for separating useable from junk.

Auto-Union,

There's likely a salvage tire dealer with a contract to dispose of ALL waste tires generated by dealership. Probably wouldn't be happy to know employees are letting their "pet" cherrypick his profitable items. Have had folks so close fisted in the past they were amusing for a time.

Bob

Around me the used tire guys are very big busines. I would be more than lucky to find anything useful behind a shop or dealer. If you do see them they have prices written on them.

Got my 4 dunlops for my explorer from a used shops owner. He took them off his explorer because he went to bigger rims. Mounted for 200 bucks and still had tiny rubber needles (dont know name) all over them. Not free but good enough.

ted, that would be the tyres no longer fit for service.

Used tyres dowunder are still worth money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back