ATF3 mixed with ATF4

Status
Not open for further replies.
About 6 months ago I dropped the pan and drained the tranny oil on a 98 dodge avenger.

It's time to drain it again because I only got about 4.0L out of the 8.0L of oil in the transmission last time.

I went to the dealership to get some ATF and they told me it would be ok to mix ATF3 with ATF4 oil even when the car requires ATF3.

What do you think?

+3 is conventional oil and +4 is synthetic, so they will mix fine. Personally I would get the +4 at WalMart if they stock it in Canada. In the US it is less than $3/qt. for the store brand and exactly the same as you get at the dealer for around $8 here.

If you put ATF+3 in last time, use ATF+3 this time. If you used ATF+4 then, use ATF+4 now.

You can mix the two, but I think it's best to use one or the other but not both.

Well, since ATF+4 is plainly stated to be backward compatible with ATF+3, I doubt a mix in a tranny originally specified to use ATF+3 will result in problems or premature failure. (But if you screw up again, you'll have to sacrifice your 1st-born to the ATF gods...
wink.gif
)

ATF+4 is an upgrade. Use it, especially if sold at local department or autopart stores.

There are no issues with mixing them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back