ATF +4 Hotshot?

Getting around to my second ATF fluid and filter change on my '14 Dodge minivan with the 6 speed. I did the original service @ 48k miles and I am at 86K miles now. So within a year or so. Planning ahead. These trannys have a history of relative short life spans if you don't service them. I will try to get the normal 200k miles from mine like my last couple Chrysler minivans. I sold/traded in both previous minivans without tranny problems but with regular fluid/filter changes. maybe I was just lucky. Anyhoo, I believe the ATF+4 is a full synthetic minimum spec. I have used factory, Valvoline, Red Line and other brands. I came across this brand and it looks interesting to me and the cost difference is negligible compared to factory fill. What does everyone think? Snake oil or as good or better than the rest?

not to sound like a broken record, re: ATF+4... stick with licensed fluids... it's a pretty locked down/tight formula. ( IIRC: they all start with the same base, and only one approved additive pack...)
as long as you get officially licensed Fluid, it's all basically identical.
Supertech is just as good as Valvoline, as official Chrysler fluid...
https://www.centerforqa.com/licensed-atf4-brands/

all that being said... it's your vehicle, and your money... and I'm just some schmuck with a keyboard...

Agree w/earlyre...FCA/DCF/Stellantis (whatever the heck they call themselves now) keeps a tight rein on ATF+4.

And +1 on SuperTech...I've used ST Mercon V in my Fords for a long time now. It's licensed and approved by Ford.

SuperTech (at least in South Texas and on wm.com) seems to be out of the ATF+4 game. Haven't seen it on my local shelves for over a year. Best buy currently seems to be Mopar fluid on Amazon (either the 6-pack or 5-liter jug).

SuperTech (at least in South Texas and on wm.com) seems to be out of the ATF+4 game. Haven't seen it on my local shelves for over a year. Best buy currently seems to be Mopar fluid on Amazon (either the 6-pack or 5-liter jug).
I used Supertech ATF +4 on a 41TE transmission, worked great. It is still in stock around here but usually only in quart bottles and they don't stock too many.

That hotshot stuff doesn't sit right with me, it claims to be for ATF +4 and Dexron III which are not compatible with each other, therefore there is no way it is a true ATF +4 formula. If you use an actual Dexron III formula such as Valvoline Dex/Merc in a ATF +4 transmission you are begging for trouble, and many people did just that and they found out fairly quickly.

I always got the best price of atf4 by buying the big mopar jugs at the dealership. Id just stick with that.

I recommend siphoning out 2 litres once a year through the dipstick hole and refill. The filter really only needs to be changed once.

I would find the best price on an appoved atf+4. Valvoline is 31$ a gallon and claim free shipping over 35$.

I would caution about using any HotShot/Diamond products.
? Now you have my interest. Probably use Valvoline again but pure PAO with ad pack looks compelling and the price is within a couple cents of the Valvoline.

@sloinker, coincidentally enough, a friend asked me this morning about doing a pan drop and filter replacement on his 2016 Dodge Grand Caravan. It's only got about 50K km on it (slightly > 30K miles). He does tow a large tent trailer a few times each summer, so the tranny does get a workout.

I drive a 2007 DGC (3.3 with the 4-speed automatic), and replaced the factory transmission pan with an aftermarket one with a drain plug. At that time with the pan off I replaced the transmission filter. Since then I've drained about 2 quarts of ATF every 2nd or so OC, and have been using Castrol ATF+4. I check the level later on level ground, and top up if required. No problems so far, but I don't know the van's history prior to March 2001. It was at 199K km (c. 124K miles) at that time and is now at 245K km (c. 152K miles). No issues with the transmission, and I'd like to keep it that way. I may do another pan drop in the next year or so to change the filter again.

Anyway, back to my friend's 2016 ... the 'net tells me the 5th-gen DGCs with 3.6 Pentastar and the 6-speed automatic have no dipstick, and that doing a pan drop or even a drain-and-fill is quite complex, with the level being very temperature dependent.

What is your procedure?

Would it work to have him leave the van here overnight, already parked on ramps, and then drop the pan the next day, change the filter, measure whatever came out, and add the appropriate amount of new fluid? I would probably add a bit (250 ml?) to compensate for the volume of ATF left in the old filter. This method would mean the old fluid and new fluid are at the same temperature.

Thanks!

On the original I bought their (Mopars) portable dipstick that has a temperature versus level chart. I popped the cap off of the stubby dipstick tube and scribed with a file the level cold on a junkyard dipstick I had already. Ran it to hot driving around and scribed that spot on the stick too. Bought an aftermarket pan with drain plug/gasket/filter and a see through graduated 14 liter container. Dumped the oil, replaced the filter gasket and pan and refilled with the amount I drained. I think I used Red Line C+ on the fill but I would have to check my records to verify. Ran to temperature and used an infrared tester on the case and checked the chart. It was within specs so I compared it to my hot scribe mark and maybe added another pint. Mine is a '14 with a 62TE I believe. My third Chrysler/Dodge minivan in a row. What my wife wants and my family members continually borrow. I really like the 3.6 as it gives me 25MPG @ 80 mph loaded with people and luggage with the AC on high and the ability to burn the hides off at the stoplight if needed. I still see our '05 driving around town. I traded it off near 200K for the current '14 just because I was afraid of being stranded with a bad tranny way away from home during vacation. Looks like I needn't have been worried. These vans get a bad rap but dude gotta have that Stow-N_Go.

It's a bit of a pain having to hook up an OBD reader to get the transmission temperature while going off the lookup chart to figure out exactly how much ATF+4 level should be in the transmission, but is not that bad. Just an extra step.

On the original I bought their (Mopars) portable dipstick that has a temperature versus level chart. I popped the cap off of the stubby dipstick tube and scribed with a file the level cold on a junkyard dipstick I had already. Ran it to hot driving around and scribed that spot on the stick too. Bought an aftermarket pan with drain plug/gasket/filter and a see through graduated 14 liter container. Dumped the oil, replaced the filter gasket and pan and refilled with the amount I drained. I think I used Red Line C+ on the fill but I would have to check my records to verify. Ran to temperature and used an infrared tester on the case and checked the chart. It was within specs so I compared it to my hot scribe mark and maybe added another pint. Mine is a '14 with a 62TE I believe. My third Chrysler/Dodge minivan in a row. What my wife wants and my family members continually borrow. I really like the 3.6 as it gives me 25MPG @ 80 mph loaded with people and luggage with the AC on high and the ability to burn the hides off at the stoplight if needed. I still see our '05 driving around town. I traded it off near 200K for the current '14 just because I was afraid of being stranded with a bad tranny way away from home during vacation. Looks like I needn't have been worried. These vans get a bad rap but dude gotta have that Stow-N_Go.
Thanks for the detailed info! I'll pass it on to my friend with the '16.

Our '07 has Stow 'n Go. I just hauled several 10' sections of PVC conduit. A few days before that it was 10' 2x8s. Most impressive, it also carries 4x8 sheets of plywood and drywall with hatch closed.

I'm fine with the pushrod 3.3, but would like a 5- or 6-speed transmission.

Back