Went to the track last night!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

Took my Z to the track last night. I am very dissapointed, to say the least. The best I could do was a [email protected]. The weather was warm (typical Texas weather for this time of the year), with temperatures in the high to mid 80s and more than 75% humidity.
I found out that the Z06 clutch in my car (stock) is a piece of junk. I did my burnouts to get the tires hot and sticky......big mistake! The tires were actually hooking up so good, that it made the clutch slip a lot. I tried different RPMs, all the way up to 3k.......the clutch wouldn't hold. I even powershifted to improve my times and the clutch once again gave up on me.
The last 2 runs were done without a burnout. The tires spun, but the clutch held much better.
Here is the summary:

code:

60ft 1/4 ET 1/4 MPH

-2.13 13.45 104.97 --- Tires hooked/Clutch slipped/car bogged down big time

-2.18 13.52 105.68 --- Tires hooked/Clutch slipped/car bogged down big time

-2.25 14.07 103.78 --- Tires hooked/Clutch slipped/car bogged down big time

-2.18 13.38 106.33 --- Small burnout to clean tires/ Clutch held/Traction so so

-2.65 14.52 104.75 --- Small burnout to clean tires/ Clutch held/Traction was horrible

-----------------------------------------------

All time best ET.

-~2.10 12.99 108.38 --- Small burnout to clean tires/Clutch held/Traction so so.

Original 16" rims and Good Year 245/50/16.

Now running 17" SS rims with Summitomo 275/40/17. Weather much better; in the 60s and lower humidity (~50-60%)

All time best MPH

-~2.10 13.00 109.68 --- Small burnout to clean tires/Clutch held/Traction so so.

Original 16" rims and Good Year 245/50/16.

Now running 17" SS rims with Summitomo 275/40/17. Weather much better; in the 70s and lower humidity (~50-60%)

Only addition was Hooker cat-back

The engine seemed to be running great. I had added ~3 oz of FP to ~ 9 gallons of fuel before going to the track. I had the usual and very noticeable pinging I always get in summertime......sometimes even winter. Weather definitely affected the times and MPHs. My stock clutch will survive last night's abuse.....as long as it doesn't have to put up with tires that hook. On the street, the clutch does pretty good.

Comments welcomed

Don't be discouraged, hot humid weather never gives good times. I've tried not to race my cars when it's hot and humid out, otherwise I go home disappointed every time.

Unless you're running drag radials or ET Streets or slicks, don't bother with a huge burnout anymore, you're just heating up your clutch too much. I would just do a quick burnout in my 6 speed 98 Formula when I ran the stock GSCs. Even when I went to drag radials I just did enough of a burnout to put a bit of heat into them but not enough to hurt the clutch. My stock clutch in that car was still in great shape when I sold the car, with 250 quarter mile runs on it.

I hear ya Pat! Lesson learned.
I think a quick tire-clean up and ~1500 RPM launch is the best compromise between burning the clutch and spinning the tires.
Amazing that street radial tires overpowered the clutch that easily!
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Last_Z:
Hey guys,

The best I could do was a [email protected]. The weather was warm (typical Texas weather for this time of the year), with temperatures in the high to mid 80s and more than 75% humidity.

Comments welcomed

I'd say that was pretty respectable. Get some slicks and a Bottle of Mr Frosty if you have the "bug."

quick,

The problem wasn't HP.....it was the clutch. It couldn't take the traction from the Summitomo Radials.......much less slicks and N2O.

Supposedly, the factory made the master cylinder with some kind of restriction that reduces fluid pressure and impedes the clutch from grabbing 100%. This document explains how to elongate this orifice for better clutch grip.

Sorry I missed that... I had good luck with a BF Center-force pressure plate when I was banging them in my 11 sec blown street Stang. I sure miss that Ford!
smile.gif
Other than my dragster, I limited myself to a C2500, 4 ton Suburban with a mouse motor. I had to limit the tickets and drive. I have no self control in a fast car. Always likeed the bumper sticker "drive it like you stole it".
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Motorbike:
Hmmmmmm
grin.gif

Reaction times please
tongue.gif

Or were you asleep at the wheel ?
wink.gif

Just razzin but post em
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

If he was just testing and tuning though, he's probably like me, and doesn't really try for a good RT.

When I bracket race, I usually cut .520 to .550 RTs, but when I'm testing and tuning it is usually around .700 since I don't bother concentrating on the lights, I'm more concerned with nailing a good launch.

Moto,

As Patman stated, I was "Test-n-Tuning", so the last thing on my mind was reaction times. I don't know if you know this (many people don't), but reaction times have nothing to do with ETs. The fact is that the timer is tripped only after your vehicle starts moving. So the times I posted are exactly what I along with my car could do.

EDIT
RT were as follow:
.458---redlighted on purpose......ET would still be valid though.

As you can see.....I'm not the best at "reacting." I could do better with my auto equipped T/A.

Now, as far as the MC oil......I bought a qt of RL 10W-30 to add it to 5.5 qts of MC HDEO. I believe the very strong additive package of MC along with the moly and ester base from RL will give me just about the perfect oil. If everything works the way I imagine it, then I should have the cleaning ability of an HDEO oil along with the supposed scavenging effects of ester oil; high levels of antiwear, anti-oxidants, antirust from MC along with RL's moly; extended drain capabilities and RL's ability to flow for the coming winter.

[ October 08, 2004, 11:03 PM: Message edited by: Last_Z ]

Hey Chief,

Sorry for the very late reply. It costs $10 to watch and $15 to run. Have you done anything to you Impala?

Rick

Thanks Z,

Just the usual intake, exhaust, tranny stuff. Never had it down the 1/4 before and now that I live here and work about 10 miles from the track it would be a good time to see what she does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back