Wet auto carpet - How to prevent mildew / odor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hi,

Ive been really happy with my 04 saab 9-3. I parked it on Jan 19th, and let it sit through a small snowstorm, a snow that gave over a foot, and then another that gave 4 inches.

Most of it melted and evaporated very quick, and temps have fluctuated between the mid 30s and the low teens.

This morning I went out to the car for the first time. The passenger front floorboard carpet was soaked, with a lot of ice on it.

I think the drains froze up, as it doesnt seem to be an AC issue, and the doors, windows, etc were closed tight.

So my main question now is how to ensure that no mildew or odor forms. Ive been drying the carpet as much as possible, but there always seems to be more. Whenever I use the car now, I direct all flow to the floor, with AC on, and heat, etc. I also keep the windows open.

Fortunately it is the winter, so things ought not grow very quick. But I want to be sure that I dont get smells or mold, mildew, etc. Unfortunately, its nearly impossible to get the carpets out. So, what is my best bet? Ill probably take it to the dealer to have them look at it and set a precedent, so if I need to have the carpet replced down the line, itll hopefully be under warranty.

Thanks!

JMH

freezing has never been much of a problem for me, but water has gotten in a few times via sunroof leaks or AC evap drain plug-ups.

I usually pull it up as much as possible to air it out from both top and bottom, set a fan to blow on it as much as possible. Those little computer fans are great for moving air in small spaces under carpet....wedging a hair dryer in there is also useful.

Then I keep my finders crossed. So far that's worked. good luck.

I would use a vacuum at a car wash to suck out the water on a warm day.

I've got 1.5" of water in the carpet behind my drivers seat.
frown.gif
Hopping in and out of the car for a few hours a day while delivering pizza really makes a mess.

Steve

I've been using products like silica gel and Damp Rid for years under high humidity conditions and they work well for dehumidifying small enclosed spaces, but they won't really dry a wet carpet.

I'd use wadded-up newsprint to draw a much water as possible out of the carpet. Maybe there is some absorbant material like kitty litter you could put on the carpet and vacuum once it's saturated with moisture. A lot of air via a fan should help.

Probably you should spray some Lysol when the carpet is almost dry to prevent any mildew.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back