2012 Impala PO270

As title states check engine light came on with 175k. First check engine light so she is s pleased. Checked freeze frame and voltage is low on cylinder 4 injector so without tear down I was going to order all 6 injectors at 120 a piece but she wants it torn down first. I have been told to throw one used injector in,but the amount of work to get to that particular injector, I might as well replace all of them since all 6 have to be removed. Mechanic recommended timing chain and 6 injectors from Amazon the are no name and cost less for 6 injectors than 1 AC Delco. I also gave her price for 6 spark plugs since intake plenum will be off and never changed. Question is, would you replace only bad one or all 6? All this while she states car can't be down more than a day.

It that a 120 a piece for new? When I had the bad injector on the WS6, I picked up a rebuilt one for 35 bucks. That was 8 months ago now.
I would go off what here threshold of pain is for price. I have had Trav work a set of injectors for me, but only 1 day. You don't have the kind of time.

If cylinder #4 is in the back, replace all the rear injectors. If cylinder #4 is up front, you only need to replace the one.

I don't know how GM numbers their cylinders, but the Japanese usually have the odd numbers in the back and the even numbers up front :unsure:

Hitachi claims to be the OE supplier for the Impala, and Hitachi injectors seem to be the actual OE injectors for much less than AC Delco/GM OE, and Rock Auto has them at a good price. Does your Impala have PZEV/California emissions?

The cheap Amazon injectors are probably not a good idea :cautious:

If cylinder #4 is in the back, replace all the rear injectors. If cylinder #4 is up front, you only need to replace the one.

I don't know how GM numbers their cylinders, but the Japanese usually have the odd numbers in the back and the even numbers up front :unsure:

Hitachi claims to be the OE supplier for the Impala, and Hitachi injectors seem to be the actual OE injectors for much less than AC Delco/GM OE, and Rock Auto has them at a good price. Does your Impala have PZEV/California emissions?

The cheap Amazon injectors are probably not a good idea :cautious:
It's high pressure injector as it is direct injection. All injectors are under plenum and must remove the rear bank 1-3-5 before the front bank 2-4-6. I know I could probably get away with 1 injector but still would have to reseal the other 5 so to minimize leak possibility.

It's high pressure injector as it is direct injection. All injectors are under plenum and must remove the rear bank 1-3-5 before the front bank 2-4-6. I know I could probably get away with 1 injector but still would have to reseal the other 5 so to minimize leak possibility.

In that case, replace all 6.

Rock Auto is 10.00 cheaper. I added approximately for shipping. I would prefer AC Delco but not if someone can recommend a better brand for the vehicle.

Hitachi claims to be the actual OE injectors, and the FIJ0045 crosses over to that part number. Hitachi is only $52 each on Rock Auto, less with the 5% discount code. Multiply that by 6, and you have big savings, $300 difference for the exact same parts :D

Checked freeze frame and voltage is low on cylinder 4 injector so without tear down I was going to order all 6 injectors at 120 a piece but she wants it torn down first.
Your diagnosis is probably correct, but be sure to rule out a weak battery. My Subaru throws the same code in cold weather if the battery is getting weak. If the battery voltage dips down too much when the ignition is turned on, the ECU overreacts and throws the low injector voltage code. Connecting a portable battery booster, or replacing the battery, solves the issue.

It could also be a loose or corroded connector or some other wiring issue.

If you've checked all this, the safe bet would be to replace all of the injectors. Injectors will wear a bit over 175k miles and you want them all to perform similarly or you could end up with one cylinder running a bit too rich or lean. Replacing a single injector with a non-OEM may compound this effect.

The biggest red flag to me is the whole "can't be without the car for more than a day". Tell them to go elsewhere and they will find that nobody cares that you only have one car. Secondly, those DI injectors go about 150-200k miles so replace all is the only good option. Went thru this on my 2008 CTS 3.6DI - did all injectors around 170k it has 200k now. Third - spark plugs for sure since nothing has been done in 175k miles. If they are cheap and wanting cheap parts and the job done in one day ---- RUN AWAY! You will lose this as they will surely be back complaining if you only do 1 injector and no plugs...i.e doing the job right.

The biggest red flag to me is the whole "can't be without the car for more than a day". Tell them to go elsewhere and they will find that nobody cares that you only have one car. Secondly, those DI injectors go about 150-200k miles so replace all is the only good option. Went thru this on my 2008 CTS 3.6DI - did all injectors around 170k it has 200k now. Third - spark plugs for sure since nothing has been done in 175k miles. If they are cheap and wanting cheap parts and the job done in one day ---- RUN AWAY! You will lose this as they will surely be back complaining if you only do 1 injector and no plugs...i.e doing the job right.
And that has been my position as well. I figured that I would ask as I am being told by family that I am trying to get my mother to spend money she doesn't have. She is borrowing money for the job and I already beat it death not to expect it in one day. I am disabled with back problems and taking care of the wife so it takes me longer. Last person who worked on around 3 years ago was also a certified mechanic and took her for repairs that I had to straighten out. I am only one she trusts.

And that has been my position as well. I figured that I would ask as I am being told by family that I am trying to get my mother to spend money she doesn't have. She is borrowing money for the job and I already beat it death not to expect it in one day. I am disabled with back problems and taking care of the wife so it takes me longer. Last person who worked on around 3 years ago was also a certified mechanic and took her for repairs that I had to straighten out. I am only one she trusts.
That sure is a tough spot to be in. They should consider your condition over her need for the car in one day. Would you cause a family feud by just refusing the job?

That sure is a tough spot to be in. They should consider your condition over her need for the car in one day. Would you cause a family feud by just refusing the job?
Problem with refusing it is she has been ripped off before so I would have to have a discussion with shop and follow up. Just easier to do it. I only work on her vehicle as I already told everyone else that they will have to put their car in shop if something breaks.

Replaced injectors and seemed like every connector broke. Have a PO443 now. Vehicle runs flat on acceleration but also has similar to a misfire. Checked misfires and same cylinder 4 misfire with plugs and injectors. Moved coil to cylinder 3 as it was easily seen on scanner. Misfire is gone and idles nice and quiet. I guess with cracked connection there's a small vacuum leak. Did check valve which while it's working there's carbon on tip. Will order valve and hard line. The intake valves look nasty and oily so I don't want to disturb them and open that can of worms yet. If I have to remove the heads I don't know what she is going to do as it will take me awhile.

Replaced injectors and seemed like every connector broke. Have a PO443 now. Vehicle runs flat on acceleration but also has similar to a misfire. Checked misfires and same cylinder 4 misfire with plugs and injectors. Moved coil to cylinder 3 as it was easily seen on scanner. Misfire is gone and idles nice and quiet. I guess with cracked connection there's a small vacuum leak. Did check valve which while it's working there's carbon on tip. Will order valve and hard line. The intake valves look nasty and oily so I don't want to disturb them and open that can of worms yet. If I have to remove the heads I don't know what she is going to do as it will take me awhile.
So you replaced the injectors and plugs, but the misfire still persists and it doesn't accelerate well and now has a P0443?

So you replaced the injectors and plugs, but the misfire still persists and it doesn't accelerate well and now has a P0443?
Injector was replaced cause it failed readings on multi meter. Plugs was changed as preventive maintenance although way over due. PO443 is there cause a hard line was brittle since 173k and 12 years. PO443 Could cause of stumble so I will repair that first before I go chasing something that wasn't there before. Once I get all systems to work I will then go farther if need be.

Well I have been out of the loop to long. Last I worked on anything electronically controlled was 2005 after Katrina took my lively hood then back surgery in 010. I bit the bullet and bought month of Aldata and studied the system. It works totally different different than what I was familiar with or even told. Replaced wires between ECM and injector after reading the bulletin. Charging system and all other systems are working as expected and light is off. Lost more hair in the process.

Back