Best oil for gas generator??

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are the best oil characteristics for a gas generator.

It's a 13 HP Honda air cooled, splash lubrication. It runs at a constant 3600 rpm.

Honda recommends a 10W30 detergent oil and I've been running Mobil 1 10W30. Is there a better oil for this application??

Goal is long life.

Well, I think you can run a more expensive oil from Redline or Amsoil but I can't imagine getting significantly better protection that you get now from Mobil One. Especially since the SuperSyn formulations include moly.

I say stick with what you're using now.

davefr, I take it this thing is new? Then generally, I think the 10W30 M1 SS is fine. If you want to beef up the oil a touch add 1-2 ounces of Schaeffer #132 E.P. additive to the crankcase at each change. Honda 4-stroke single and twin cylinder engines are very robust and the actual engine often outlives the rest of the machine.

Still, how hard do you run this thing? Do you change the oil frequently? How many hours ... or weeks/months/years between changes? Does it have a spin-on filter? How about a mesh screen? How long does it sit between uses?
confused.gif

If you can paint a better picture of how you use this generator, some of us might have more input on oil selection.

--- Bror Jace

Run it 1 hour on 10W30 dino and then change over to M1.

You must have a 7 kW generator if the engine is 13 hp, since 13 hp = 9.7 kW and with an efficiency of 75% gives you about 7.2 kW.

I have a recoil start 5 kW Coleman PowerMate with a 10 Hp Tecumseh that gets run about 5 hrs/year. You know, tornados, ice, and wind bring down the power system occasionally.

Bror's suggestion is excellent since that's what I use; M1 10W30 SS with the #132. I used to use Amsoil 5W30 HDD in winter, but now use the M1 10W30 year round, since it has such a nice low pour point.

I change oil once a year unless I hit the majic 10 hours, which hasn't happened yet. These are high-revving, hot running engines, so feed the beast with clean oil if you do hit the 10 hrs run time.

I also use 1 0z. of Neutra per 5 gal. of gas to keep the fuel stabilized and the carb clean.

If your's is an electric start, keep a trickle charger on the battery.

'Kule, the reason I wanted more info, is because if davefr is going to change the oil very frequently, he'd be better off using Schaeffer 10W30 ... or even 15W40 if the temps are elevated and the machine already has a hundred or more hours on it. As good or better wear protection as M1 ... and a touch cheaper to boot.
smile.gif

The great thing about the 15W40s (Pennzoil & Chevron also great brand choices) is their corrosion protection. Excellent choices if the machine is going to sit idle for long periods of time (months) and then run really hard for a couple days ... in the kind of emergency circumstances described above.

dunno.gif

--- Bror Jace

Yes, it is a new unit that will likely sit for years and then run continuously for days. I do start it up quarterly and let it run for about 15 minutes.

It doesn't have pressurized lubrication or a filter.

Does this change your recommendation??

quote:

Originally posted by Bror Jace:
davefr, I take it this thing is new? Then generally, I think the 10W30 M1 SS is fine. If you want to beef up the oil a touch add 1-2 ounces of Schaeffer #132 E.P. additive to the crankcase at each change. Honda 4-stroke single and twin cylinder engines are very robust and the actual engine often outlives the rest of the machine.

Still, how hard do you run this thing? Do you change the oil frequently? How many hours ... or weeks/months/years between changes? Does it have a spin-on filter? How about a mesh screen? How long does it sit between uses?
confused.gif

If you can paint a better picture of how you use this generator, some of us might have more input on oil selection.

--- Bror Jace

"Does this change your recommendation??"

Not significantly. M1 SS is fine ... but I'd still use a 15W40 fleet-type oil with its strong anti-corrosive properties. Also, that weight is good for sustained runs.

With a competent but less expensive oil in my equipment, I feel better about changing it more often ... which is better since my use patterns mimic yours ... long periods of inactivity punctuated by impromptu torture tests.
wink.gif

--- Bror Jace

Heck yea, if it's an electric start, the 15W40 Schaeffer's or Amsoil 15W40 AME would be the choice.

I use the lighter weight's because it make pulley (recoil) starting much easier in the winter.

And I know the 132 is providing extra corrosion protection against rusting.

[ April 08, 2003, 06:41 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

'Kule, that's a good point. We have two garages, one heated the other not. During the winter we pull the machinery we use during that season (snow blower, generators, etc ...) into the heated one (attached to the house).

So, cold start is almost never a factor for me.
smile.gif

--- Bror Jace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back