Low/Mid SAPS oil for propane generator?

Two of my generators are Champion dual fuel inverters, and I plan to only run them on the little 20 and 40lb propane tanks. Would they benefit from a low/mid SAPS oil if being run on propane? My understanding is that there are oils out there specifically for nat gas and propane engines. But, not sure if it would be beneficial to use those in my generator. Owners manual doesn't specify anything other than grade. I understand they would keep it simple, because most folks aren't going to give it any thought. But, we're on BITOG and looking for the best....not just "good enough." And, I've also heard that some engine types don't like the lower SAPS oils. So, I'm conflicted.

I have some Motul that is mid SAPS in 5w-30 and 5w-40. Would be nice to use this, if possible.

I found a thread from about a year ago on this topic. But, it came to a dead end, with no real answer given to the OP.

Thanks.

Like already mentioned just use the grade & any API recommended oil spec. your generator calls for. They don't need any specific oil for the duration you'll probably use them in. My propane Onan calls for regular automotive oil for example.

Very low tech engine design. If you want the best, a Euro full sap with Porsche A40 approval is the best you can get. Your Motul oils would be more than enough. 5w-40 would be my choice.

I'm using SuperTech blend 10w-40 in all my OPE and it's overkill.

Similar but different story. We had a 1985 Dodge D250 van growing up, factory propane option. Ran it to approx 300,000km plus, not sure as it received bigger tires after purchase and it was close to 300 when it was retired in 2006. Ran what ever gas rated oil for its life. Never an issue. I saw a decade ago that there is natural gas/propane rated oil out there. They use it in the gen sets on oil leases.

Amzoil small engine 5w30 specifies use for LP/NG generators. Im not an Amzoil fan at all, but I use it in my 17kw standby genset. Seems to be a very good oil.

Thanks for the responses.
Very low tech engine design. If you want the best, a Euro full sap with Porsche A40 approval is the best you can get. Your Motul oils would be more than enough. 5w-40 would be my choice.

Instead of A40, how about an MB 229.51? 😂

Amzoil small engine 5w30 specifies use for LP/NG generators. Im not an Amzoil fan at all, but I use it in my 17kw standby genset. Seems to be a very good oil.
I couldn’t find that particular verbiage in their documentation. Any chance you can link it for me?

I’ve read that higher calcium levels in oils like an A3/B4 Full SAPS isn’t good on propane engines. I’ve mentioned it a few times here so I apologize if I’m a broken record.

I’ve read that higher calcium levels in oils like an A3/B4 Full SAPS isn’t good on propane engines. I’ve mentioned it a few times here so I apologize if I’m a broken record.
I wonder what european propane engines showed in their manuals? 🤷‍♂️

Are the propane setups on road vehicles OE or aftermarket? I imagine they’d just get a 0,5,15w40 likely with the A3/B4 approval.
Seems plausible. Here's my 1994 non Euro Cummins Onan manual.
oilmklk.jpg

My observations from the very few propane trucks I worked on.
Owners over extended their OCI to the point that they did it when a tune-up was due. Around 30k miles.
Spark plugs came out looking like new.
Oil came out looking like new.

Never heard that - have Redline 10W30 in my newest so that might be too high … (older gens have Delvac 1 5W40) …

Back