Aviation Gas 100 LL in your bike?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years ago I ran aviation gas in 2 stroke and 4 stroke bikes. I stoped using it because I was told it would break down the oil among other things and wasn't good for bikes. I have 2 and 4 stroke dirt bikes it seems like it would be better than the pump gas they give us nowadays. 50% VP C12 Race gas does help but the cost hurts. Any comments are welcome.

I will only use 100LL in my dirt bike. The leaded fuel helps the engine last longer (1994 Husky 360WXC 2 stroke) and also reduces wear on the powervalves. This is due to the lead deposits on the parts.

Honda GP bikes experienced a rash of crankshaft failures after the elimination of leaded fuels. In addition, the 100LL is easy to jet, as the fuel is the same from batch to batch.

The additional octane eliminates any chance of detonation and could extend engine life that way also.

As for oil dilution, 100LL is used in Alaska and other cold places to dilute the oil in aircraft. The 100LL evaporates readily and completly after engine warm up.

I think the risk of oil contamination is much lower with 100LL than most pump fuels.

Chris

The only possible problem is if you have a 4-stroke and are running a 100% PAO synthetic oil. Blends are ok. The problem is that PAO can't scavenge the ring area of lead deposits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back