How long can I go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2012 Honda accord. I am crazy about changing oil and am at 30% life on oci at 6k. Just curious to see if I can go to 7k and do a uoa and not do any harm to engine.
Thoughts?

I guess this really gets down to my not trusting the oci indicator. Yes, they are mostly highway miles.

You can go until it gets down to 0%, but Honda usually recommends changing it at 15%.

If you let it go beyond 0, it will show negative miles!
shocked2.gif

You can use any SN 0w20 or 5w20. You just missed Napa's sale on their house brand synthetic, but it will be on sale again some time. Maybe you might feel more comfortable with the MM using synthetic, but even dino will work.

Kmart has Smitty's syn blend for only $1.69/qt, and it's 10% group IV PAO

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
You can go until it gets down to 0%, but Honda usually recommends changing it at 15%.

If you let it go beyond 0, it will show negative miles!
shocked2.gif

You can use any SN 0w20 or 5w20. You just missed Napa's sale on their house brand synthetic, but it will be on sale again some time. Maybe you might feel more comfortable with the MM using synthetic, but even dino will work.

Kmart has Smitty's syn blend for only $1.69/qt, and it's 10% group IV PAO

Yes, Honda recommends change oil at 15%.

It wasn't Honda it was with E430, I went to negative 500-600 miles with factory filled back in 2001. No harm was done.

I just got the second UOA back on my 08 CRV, first was dealer bulk ?w/20 that the UOA said was comparable to Mobil Super Syn and the second was Val ML Cherry blend 5w/20 at 7,7xx and 7,8xx miles respectively.

I was at 40% on the OLM for each and the lab found no issues and strongly recommend running a full 10k OCI.

If your 12 Accord is the 4 banger I see zero reason not to use the OLM recommendation as long as a quality oil and filters are in place.

Last edited:
I don't see why you couldn't just follow the MM and start planning a change at 15%. This is what I do with out '12 Accord. The MM is a fairly sophisticated IOLM and can be trusted, at least with the four cylinder engine.
The V-6 with VCM might be an entirely different matter.
Are using the recommended 0W-20 or some other grade?
Any 0W-20 will be at least a mostly synthetic blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back