acclimating to heat - tips, please

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it were possible to acclimate to hot weather (I'm not saying it is or it isn't), I would have started in May/June. Not the end of August. It will be cold soon.

I haven't done much this summer. The above average heat makes me feel like I'm walking thru a murkey swamp. I'm looking forward to fall coolness.

When in was in Louisiana, I covered my bedroom window in tin foil then turned the a/c to 50 and would nap during the heat of the day. A 22 year old me couldn't handle heat either. Some peoples metabolism makes them run hotter to begin with.

My goal would be to remove as much humidity from theair as possible in closed spaces. 80-85 is very nice if the humidity is sensible. And sitting in a 70° room half the time really makes you feel worse when you leave it to go out in 85°F.

Outside, drink and don't get sunburned. Avoid labor/excercise if there's much ozone in the air. And those extra pounds (a bushel even in my case) do indeed keep your heat inside. Good in winter not so good in summer...

Wear clothes with moisture wicking fabric instead of cotton. Use sunscreen and a hat if you have to be outside for extended periods of time. If you sunburn easily, wear long sleeves. And drink lots of fluids.

Originally Posted By: pandus13

we are talking about 85+, around ATL/GA

lol.gif

LOL, just ignore it. But if you are going to be in the sun for prolonged periods of time, make sure you stay dehydrated and know signs of heat stroke.

Isn't that typical Chicago Summer weather? How do you deal with that?
smile.gif

there is no solution really. You just have to carry a face moppin' rag around clandestinely. Been a muggy one here this summer with all the rain. It's the humidity that gets you. 95 deg F and humidity so heavy you can taste it. Walking outside from air cond it's like you're getting a big warm wet hug that doesn't let go. Sweating does no good, because it can't evaporate.

I never acclimated to this summer. I am hoping to drop some weight this winter and maybe next summer will be slightly better (less insulation). But in the end, as a redhead, heat&sun are things I have to take in moderation.

Kid's just went back to school--fall is here, right?

Fall. Huh. Fall doesn't get here until Christmas, and then it's over on March 1. Which is when Loozyana goes back into summer.

I third all of the above pieces of advice, and have one more: Don't drink beer, unless you're getting enough water already. In the summer of '86, I worked outdoors, and was still drinking beer every evening. I couldn't get cooled off, it seemed. Nor did I sleep well. I think the stuff messes up your heat balance. That experience is one reason I'm glad I no longer drink.

Year 5 in Texas, coming from New York.

You get used to it. Wear sunscreen every day to keep the skin cancer away.

Also a wide brimmed old man hat when outside for a while.

I also like wearing some of the columbia fishing type clothes , they are light and keep you from getting burned. Take care of your skin and drink tons of water.

Maintain your AC in the house and maintain your car.

To the poster above, Dallas is going up "NORTH" to me. It gets darn cold up there in the winter, too much ice for me.

Hi Bitogers,
what are your tips for a white skinned guy to deal with heat/humidity (beside avoiding it)?

much appreciated

Run your hands and wrists under the cold water as often as possible... or even plunge in icewater.

There was some recent invention that involved heating and cooling the blood going to your core (via the wrist where it was near the surface) to make people more comfortable under various environmental conditions. It's not a huge range of difference, but when a few degrees is too many it seems to take the edge off.

It's what I did on my recent trip to Atlanta - dunk my hands in the water in the cooler whenever we stopped - because my AC been broken for years.

Last edited:
We have had Christmas day with a high of 85, LOL. My kids have swam at the beach on Christmas afternoons.

I would LOVE to have a 85 degree day. Maybe by November we will get a few.

I think Pandus has a legit question. I grew up in the mountains of Northern WV where I never saw it get over 85 degrees. We didn't have a/c there either because it was rarely if ever needed. I moved to Richmond back in 1987 and the first summer was really bad. I thought the heat really sucked, but got used to it over the course of one summer. Now fast forward almost 30 years later and I can't stand the cold LOL.

It's what you are accustomed to. I grew up in a 100 year old home with no AC in downstate IL. We had many summer days where the temp and the humidity were racing to see which would reach 100 first.

I don't recall too many miserable days. We played outside, rode our bikes, went swimming, etc.

Now, in my 6th decade of life, I can't imagine a car without A/C or living in a home without it.

Didn't need it growing up, but someone can't imagine life without it today.

If I had to, I'm sure I could get accustomed again....

Evapo-transpiration is your friend. When outside, try and stay in a breeze as much as possible. ALWAYS wear a hat. Those new type of moisture wicking shirts like Columbia Sports have are really nice and always drink water. Sweating is good for you. As one poster mentioned, have a sweat towel handy and another said...you get used to it. I lived in Guam for 10 years and then planted right smack in Oklahoma....the proverbial wet heat/dry heat argument. Guam always had tropical trade breezes and you'd keep cool enough, Oklahoma has SW winds but lower humidity....lower humidity wins though.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Wear breathable clothing, go outside and stay outside everyday. You'll adjust eventually, the only time I like cold ac is when I'm sleeping in my bed with blankets
smile.gif

Yeah the biggest part of acclimation is your state of mind: becoming comfortable while drenched in sweat and sweating heavily.

Once acclimated, your body will actually sweat more in order to better regulate your core temperature.

It's better here in Kentucky than Georgia, but my shirt and the top part of my pants will still be soaked after a few hours working outside in the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back