Going to build outdoor firepit, have a few questions.

I have an area roughly 20'x20' that had a trampoline and now we are moving on.

My main debate is using pavers for the area around the pit or just stone, stone would be far easier and cheaper. Any drawback to just stone,.other than having elderly members lose their footing...I figure some flagstone would cure that.

The area can easily be graded for drainage, currently is relatively flat.

I'm likely going with a round pit, about 5' in diameter, (up for debate) and would want to incorporate a grate for occasional cooking but that's not a deal breaker.

Exterior wall , maybe 1-2' high on 2 sides with some warm white mood lighting incorporated into the blocks.

Fairly straightforward and easy DIY, just after any tips and tricks or pitfalls to avoid.

Pretty much a hangout and a place the kids can make s'mores, etc. Thought about running power but might just use low voltage lighting and run a large extension cord for now, may run conduit at a later time.

All input and criticism appreciated.

Reactions: 4WD
I have an area roughly 20'x20' that had a trampoline and now we are moving on.

My main debate is using pavers for the area around the pit or just stone, stone would be far easier and cheaper. Any drawback to just stone,.other than having elderly members lose their footing...I figure some flagstone would cure that.

The area can easily be graded for drainage, currently is relatively flat.

I'm likely going with a round pit, about 5' in diameter, (up for debate) and would want to incorporate a grate for occasional cooking but that's not a deal breaker.

Exterior wall on 2 sides with some warm white mood lighting incorporated into the blocks.

Fairly straightforward and easy DIY, just after any tips and tricks or pitfalls to avoid.

Pretty much a hangout and a place the kids can make s'mores, etc. Thought about running power but might just use low voltage lighting and run a large extension cord for now, may run conduit at a later time.

All input and criticism appreciated.
I just have pea gravel - you could always use solar charged pathway lights - and you get more ambiance from the fire with minimal lighting - just enough for safe walking …

We did stones, so chairs would still well. Some solar lights for the path.

If your designing it yourself, be sure to incorporate some sort of airflow piping or venting so that air can enter from the bottom portion of your firepit. This will aid in minimizing smoke and ensuring a more complete burn.

I did pavers over sand and a kit for the pit itself. Left an open space in the middle so the fire area sits on sand and drains. We also went one course higher with the pit due to the ages of visitors and used concrete adhesive on the top levels for the same reason.

Depending on what surrounds you, I would consider sizing for a spark screen.
masfp.png

Check your local fire department limitations/approvals(if any) for location before installing. Our town requires firepit inspection but they are pretty chill on approval and does not charge.

To get at your main point, you have to consider how valuable secure footing is - e.g., lots of elderly around?

My dad and I built this flagstone area for a fire pit/patio about 15 years ago. We were satisfied with the standing steel fire pit as you can see and went no further. But the issue was all the flagstone. It was a really miserable week of hard work leveling, bedding and laying the flagstone. There is a lot more on walkways and around thatn shown, but still, a difficult job.

AND, it didn’t hold up well at all over time and we had to come back a few years later and mortar it all back in to get a really stable, level surface. So my point is that stones would give a more stable surface more easily if that is an important part of your needs.

3EBB1B96-2327-44ED-BD48-77D0DA6E8999.jpeg

The areas of walkways we did not re-do at that time, we had to tear out about two-years ago and re-lay it because of subsidence over time. (Paid some guys to do that).
1961E7A6-5D32-4B88-A2F6-B396CEA68BA0.jpeg

Thanks for all the tips, late getting back to this but plan to start next week.

I watched a few vids on air inflow and was curious if air only needed to be drawn in from below to exit at or near the top after being heated...or also to flow into the bottom of the pit as well.

I thought about the TSC ring but not drilling holes near the top, but build the cap with about an inch or two gap above the ring, while still overhanging the ring slightly.

The fire rings I see have holes near the top but not many with holes at the base, or can the ring be elevated a few inches or does that even matter?

I did pavers over sand and a kit for the pit itself. Left an open space in the middle so the fire area sits on sand and drains. We also went one course higher with the pit due to the ages of visitors and used concrete adhesive on the top levels for the same reason.

Depending on what surrounds you, I would consider sizing for a spark screen.
View attachment 177968
That's about exactly what I have in mind in regards to the pit itself. Are you using an insert?

Back