acclimating to heat - tips, please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Bitogers,
what are your tips for a white skinned guy to deal with heat/humidity (beside avoiding it)?

we are talking about 85+, around ATL/GA

much appreciated

Seriously?

That's not very hot....

Google the temperature anywhere in the Middle East today...and then put on 40 lbs of battle rattle, and carry a weapon and ammo, and then make certain that you've got on long sleeves....long pants...boots...and helmet...

You could do what those guys do: carry and drink lots of water. Stay in shape.

Last edited:
Wear long white linen pants, not shorts. Take inspiration from those overseas in hot spots.

Loose fitting, light colored clothing, sun blocker if you're encountering lots of sun, eat light and drink plenty of water, preferably cold water. Get in some A/C if you can, to give your body a break.

Get one of those Patton 18" high velocity fans, to aim at your underhood work area.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Stay away from air conditioned areas.

thank you.
guy at work with heart problems keeps the AC on and at 73 (probably 70F in his office)
if outside is 88-92, basically i would drive home without AC, windows open just to "unfreeze" myself

Come out to my neck of the woods for a month or so then head back to Atlanta. Your first thought will be, man the weather is nice here.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
You could do what those guys do: carry and drink lots of water. Stay in shape.

cold water or just water?
since you mentioned Middle East, what do you think of drinking hot (tea, plant non-cafeinated tea (mint, chamomile, etc))

P.S. this is not a trolling post.
just curious of others (more experienced) ways

Water need not be cold to support you in the heat, but cold water sure cools you off more quickly and feels good.

I'm not a big fan of hot drinks, but to each his own on that.

In the desert heat (and I used to fly a lot in El Centro, CA, in the 110+ heat), and when wearing lots of clothing, you would be astonished at how much water you lose through perspiration. I used to drink a gallon of Gatorade a day in El Centro when I was out there flying, and I was still dehydrated.

I've found that plain water is best, though I will drink Gatorade, or other sports drinks, now and then for a change of pace.

In all honesty, I've spent months in Atlanta, and quite a bit more time in Meridian, MS (similar climate) with and without A/C, and a summer in Pensacola, FL, doing fun activities like running on the beach with an M1 in my hands...while wearing a helmet...

It really comes down to staying hydrated - lots of water. If there is color to your urine, you need to drink more water...

If you're carrying a few extra lbs, then losing them makes a big difference.

85 degrees
crackmeup2.gif

Lots of water and shade.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
85 degrees
crackmeup2.gif

my cookies are better then yours..... with the iffy AC in the mazda5.
i think i need a re-charge

Originally Posted By: double vanos
Loose fitting, light colored clothing, sun blocker if you're encountering lots of sun, eat light and drink plenty of water, preferably cold water. Get in some A/C if you can, to give your body a break.

Good advice.

85 in Georgia is nasty with the humidity! I'd prefer 105 here with low humidity over that.

First, give yourself time to acclimate. You can't rush this anymore than acclimating to altitude. Start off well hydrated BEFORE even going into the heat/humidity.

Second, if you feel nausea, dizzy, or light-headed, then you need to sit down in shade and maybe put your head between your knees. These are signs you're pushing your existing limits. Use a fan if available. You need to cool off, but not too much, if you're still working.

Third, in humid climates, ice water is preferred because sweating is less effective than if you're in a DRY climate. It has more capacity to absorb heat from your core. Extra dry shirts help as a saturated one is well....saturated. Or go shirtless.

The goal is to freely pee clearly frequently...otherwise you're not drinking enough.

Fourth, you didn't mention what type of work you'll be doing in hot, humid Atlanta, but don't get sunburned your first day! Then you're really Toes Up!

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Dont you see 85 during Summer in Chicago?

I was thinking the same thing. I was in Atlanta last week and it wasn't that far off from a hot, humid day in Chicago.

+1
H2O is a given - but Columbia fishing clothes R us ...
I can tell you a good part of my time, money, pain goes to skin cancer and credit all my days of my youth.
Make clothing and sunscreen first and foremost - sweat does not require surgery, chemotherapy, radiation or cremation ...

Wear breathable clothing, go outside and stay outside everyday. You'll adjust eventually, the only time I like cold ac is when I'm sleeping in my bed with blankets
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back