1998 Volvo C70

Status
Not open for further replies.
I stumbled upon one of these with 78k miles and am interested. Still, it's an old car. I assume it would need a timing belt. How are the automatics on these?

Originally Posted By: ET16
I stumbled upon one of these with 78k miles and am interested. Still, it's an old car. I assume it would need a timing belt. How are the automatics on these?

Do you like the car?

I think 1998 was the first year.

Originally Posted By: TheExpectorate

Do you like the car?

I think 1998 was the first year.

Yes, but I'm wary, given the age.

The automatics themselves (AW42) are pretty good. I had a 1994 Volvo 850 (same chassis) and with the original transmission, it was running great at 185,000, when it was totaled in a collision. The engine itself is quite reliable, too. Again, I had a 185,000 mile car on which everything worked. It looked like new and ran like new.

However, given the age of this car, and the quirky nature of Volvos, I would only recommend its purchase if you are able to fix it yourself. I turn the wrenches on all my Volvos and they would have been unreasonably expensive to run if I had to farm out the repair/maintenance.

I think C and V70's are the facelift 850 after Ford took over. As Astro14 says, a bit quirky, and I wouldn't want to send my 850 in for all the things that need doing, I do it myself. My 850 sets a trans code and goes into limp mode every few days...I can set it right in a few seconds and reset the lamp with my phone. It's the PRN switch, it can be repaired or replaced, I'll fix it in the summer when I don't need it. A lot of stuff is like that, they can be repaired if you have the time to spend. Probably one of the easiest cambelts to replace - one bolt retains the camblet cover, and you don't need to remove the crank pulley. By the time you've done the job, the Honda Accord owner is still trying to get the crank pulley off.

It's a lot of car, my station wagon is cavernous, and my grandaughter loves the built in booster seat. My turbo goes like stink, and it's the best handling fwd car I've driven. But the ride is nowhere as good as my Mercedes.

Yep. Replaced the PNP switch on mine as well at 120,000 miles. Sits right under the battery...not good for long life...

Wow...you found one that old with so few miles? Interesting that. Obviously I missed your post until now.

Re: Transmission. I've owned the car now for 18yrs. Never any problems with the transmission.

Re: Everything else. If you rely solely on someone else to fix it & pay them for parts, it can cost you a lot of money. I turn my own wrench & buy OEM parts off the net. This year has been far more work than any before. With that said, all is now sorted and she's riding fine and smooth.

You can quickly run into trouble if you allow maintainence to lapse, get a clogged PCV system, don't change the TB when required and use cheap parts in critical areas. However, this goes for many Euro-cars, not just Volvos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back