2005 Mercedes S600 V-12 (M275) Mobil 1 0W40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Astro14

Every car guy should own a V-12. It's the pinnacle of internal combustion architecture. A twin turbo V-12 is even better...But this one presents challenges...

I generally agree... so how much are you in for so far on repairs?? How many miles since you bought it?

Is that engine available in an SL with similar benefits and pitfalls?

Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
Not sure why every company over complicates these V12s. Some guys made a cheap and reliable one in their shop. http://www.lsxmag.com/news/the-ls12-the-inside-scoop-on-the-v12-ls-engine/

That engine has yet to run...has yet to pass emissions...or manufacturer reliability tests....

And won't fit under the hood of any production car.

Pretty hard to take it seriously.

Sarcasm is tough to pick up in text. But as of 3 years ago they had one running around in a Suburban, a P51 replica (plane) and another was going in a old Nissan Z.

http://cnj.craigslist.org/cto/5708193486.html

looks like the guy was able to sell it.

Your statement was that he made a cheap and reliable engine.

Should that have been "relatively cheap", FROM a reliable engine.

less than a handful of units in the field doesn't describe reliability in any way, particularly how it was Jury Rigged together...

90 degree V-12 with two 90 degree plane V-8 cranks cut down to 6 cylinder configuration takes advantage of the inherent 90 degree V-Twin balance to overcome ... botched concept and execution.

Not sure why every company over complicates these V12s. Some guys made a cheap and reliable one in their shop. http://www.lsxmag.com/news/the-ls12-the-inside-scoop-on-the-v12-ls-engine/

That engine has yet to run...has yet to pass emissions...or manufacturer reliability tests....

And won't fit under the hood of any production car.

Pretty hard to take it seriously.

Sarcasm is tough to pick up in text. But as of 3 years ago they had one running around in a Suburban, a P51 replica (plane) and another was going in a old Nissan Z.

http://cnj.craigslist.org/cto/5708193486.html

looks like the guy was able to sell it.

Wasn't really intending sarcasm...more dismissal...it is hard to take an engine seriously when it's not really been produced. One or two examples, that don't fit in a regular engine bay, don't meet emissions, haven't been tested over time, and don't have any published performance numbers...it's just a stunt...not a real powerplant...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Every car guy should own a V-12. It's the pinnacle of internal combustion architecture. A twin turbo V-12 is even better...But this one presents challenges...

I generally agree... so how much are you in for so far on repairs?? How many miles since you bought it?

Is that engine available in an SL with similar benefits and pitfalls?

That engine IS available in the SL...in fact, in the SL65 AMG version, the engine is putting out 600+ BHP and 700 ftlbs (factory numbers) in a two door coupe!

Same issues with the SL chassis as with the W220 chassis of the S-class. ABC suspension performs wonderfully, but it has to be maintained: hoses examined and replaced prior to failure, fluid changed, filters changed. The V-12 is the same - phenomenal torque and HP, but intercoolers are a PITA to bleed, ignition coils are known to fail or be broken when changing spark plugs. The basic engine under tha valve covers is bulletproof. Strong, reliable, durable.

Here's a story on an 80,000 mile car with unknown history. Check out the stock numbers, then check out the power after the Renntech upgrades...on an 80,000 mile car!

http://www.superstreetonline.com/how-to/engine/epcp-1110-mercedes-benz-s600/

So, bought mine 4 years ago.

I've driven in 35,000 miles.

Put an extended warranty on it and didn't pay for any repairs during the first two years. During that time, they replaced a front strut (bill was $2,300 for one strut, parts and labor) and the engine oil level sensor ($650 for that).

I've done maintenance: ABC fluid change, oil changes (see UOAs), new pads and rotors with fluid flush, new tires, differential fluid change, trans fluid and filter, spark plugs, cabin filters, air filters, coolant change.

I've done repairs myself, this spring: ignition coil, valve cover gaskets, ABC hoses, ABC accumulators, ABC valve block clean and rebuild, intercooler pump. It ran for two years and 20,000 miles without anything but oil changes and tire rotations, but I had deferred dealing with the ABC issues for that time and decided to tackle it all this spring. Turns out that I had missed the sparkplug replacement window as well...and so, I dove into both. Total parts cost was about $2,500.

A STAR/DAS system is simply a requirement for all this work. OBD II readers aren't sufficient. $550 on ebay and you're able to download all the service information and interface with the computers. About 95% of what STAR does is proprietary, and those codes are what you need to diagnose the car.

Read through this guy's thread: http://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w220/431985-ongoing-maintenance-repair-2003-s600.html

My hero, he's done a great job with his car. Mine has had far fewer issues than his, but he demonstrates that by doing maintenance yourself, you can keep one of these beasts. If I had to farm all my work out to the dealer, this year's repairs would have been over $15,000...and that's impractical. The car is phenomenal: smooth, powerful, quiet and luxurious. There is simply nothing like it on the road anywhere...a Corvette can match its acceleration (and while it goes 0 - 60 in about 4.5, that's not what it was built for...it's particularly impressive from 60 - 120...think autobahn)...but this car does it while coddling four passengers in absolute luxury and with a smooth ride....

However, at dealer prices for repair, I would recommend that you just lease a new one and walk away when the lease is done...

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Your statement was that he made a cheap and reliable engine.

Should that have been "relatively cheap", FROM a reliable engine.

less than a handful of units in the field doesn't describe reliability in any way, particularly how it was Jury Rigged together...

90 degree V-12 with two 90 degree plane V-8 cranks cut down to 6 cylinder configuration takes advantage of the inherent 90 degree V-Twin balance to overcome ... botched concept and execution.

More comments from people who can't pick up on sarcasm, even after I comment about said sarcasm. Yes, obviously this limited test made in a garage is not likely to be a substitute in a production vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back