Full Synthetic High Mileage Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a 2008 GMC Yukon (5.3L) that has just over 154,000 miles. It does burn a little bit of oil, however, as often as I check the level (sometimes weekly), I hate having to add oil to bring it back up to full. I am thinking about trying Valvoline Synpower with Maxlife or Mobil 1 High Mileage 5W-30 to see if the consumption is reduced or stopped. Which would the forum use and why? Thanks!

I like Pennzoil High Mileage but recently changed to Max Life because of Pennzoils leaky jugs and the max life seems to be a good oil so far.

Not to make your choice more difficult, but Pennzoil also has a full synthetic Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage option which is a relatively recent offering. This is different from the regular Pennzoil High Mileage in the gold/copper colored jugs.

All three choices are good. What oil are you using now? if you're using one of those brands currently I would say to just pick the same brand's high mileage oil.

I vote for Valvoline MaxLife. Either the synthetic blend or full synthetic. Synthetic Blend is 30%-40% synthetic & seems solid for runs of 7,500 miles.

The full synthetic version is always a good option too.

The 5.3 Vortec is known to burn oil. The 6.0 does it as well but not as bad for some reason, maybe the larger piston bore has something to do with it.

A few GM techs I've spoke to have all pointed out it's due to something that has to do with the cylinder-canceling technology of the engines. Cruising at highway speeds, the back two cylinders shut off and the engine runs in V6 mode to save fuel. Something about this whole process causes them to start burning oil after a certain amount of mileage.

Again, I am not 100% positive on this, it's just information I'm relaying from GM techs. I'm sure there's a lot of reading about it on the internet if you search around some.

Either is good. But I'd try Mobil 1 HM first since it claims to do some cleaning and I had some luck with it in the past in reducing consumption...

I'm running PPHM in 2 of my cars ATM. It's quiet and has slightly improved my gas mileage.

Originally Posted By: jsjonz01
We have a 2008 GMC Yukon (5.3L) that has just over 154,000 miles. It does burn a little bit of oil, however, as often as I check the level (sometimes weekly), I hate having to add oil to bring it back up to full. I am thinking about trying Valvoline Synpower with Maxlife or Mobil 1 High Mileage 5W-30 to see if the consumption is reduced or stopped. Which would the forum use and why? Thanks!

Hi jsjonz01 - You might want to try Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage for your Yukon as it is specially formulated to stop leaks from seals and oil consumption in worn engines. It also provides faster low temperature oil flow, protects in extreme heat and provides better protection from friction. Hope this helps! - The Pennzoil Team

Originally Posted By: cheesepuffs
Anybody try Castrol Edge HM yet?

Running it now. Will do a UOA in about 8k-miles. That's the only way to tell if it's "better" than the last run.

Just changed the oil today with Valvoline Full Synthetic high Mileage 5w30 with a Mobil1 Extended Performance Oil Filter on my vehicle for the first time. Going to see how it run's. Switched from Valvoline Synpower 10w30.

I just put the full syn maxlife 0w20 in the 13 Corolla. Just about to hit 80k. Can't hurt.
Regular maxlife blend 10w40 into the maxima. Last fill was pennzoil conventional high mileage. Hoping to find one it likes best to reduce consumption.

I used M1HM in the past and while it did a great job, I felt like my engine was a little "louder." This is purely my ear and nothing mechanical but both my vehicles seem quieter on Pennzoil HM. I use the old conventional version but they do have Pennzoil Platinum HM now to compete with Maxlife and M1. if it is anything like the conventional version I would recommend that. I'm not due but I will come back with results once I make the switch
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back