Semis: what has changed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Couldn't a speed limiter be dangerous in a few situations? I don't know if there is an emergency bypass that would last for a few minutes.

yes very dangerous at times. Especially in places like California where trucks are limited to 55 but cars 70. And the cars run 85+.if they did away with split speed limits it would be much safer.the truck I deliver trusses with is only limited by rpm. At least I can hammer down to get around someone if need be. 1900 rpm is 78 mph in it.

Originally Posted By: grampi
my solution is to expand our nation's railways so they can handle more shipments...

They've already done that; a decent percentage of interstate/international cargo that must be delivered via truck is loaded onto trailers/containers, put on container ships/ trains, then delivered via trucks.

http://www.intermodal.org/information/factsheet.php

"the most common application is a truck on both ends for pickup and delivery, with the long-haul accomplished via railroad flatcar service for trailers. Intermodal, in this context, is rail-dependent."

http://www.inboundlogistics.com/cms/article/what-do-you-really-know-about-intermodal/

Last edited:
Driving I-70 between Dayton OH and Indy I have noticed a change in the semi traffic. It used to be that most the trucks were governed to about 65 MPH. I usually set my cruise right on 70 MPH, and in the past, I NEVER had a semi overtake me. Lately, I've been seeing more and more semis running over 70 MPH and passing me by. What has changed? Are carriers removing the goveners? Has the speed limit for trucks been raised? Why are they running faster now?

Cheaper fuel.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Grampi has a thing for trucks. He really enjoys their presence on the road
smile.gif

The FMCSA rules are very against truck drivers' well being. It doesn't operate on a 24 hour schedule.

If you spent as much time driving POVs on the highways as I do, you wouldn't like them either...

I like trucks just fine, and they're usually the most courteous drivers I encounter. UNTIL one that wants to do 67 mph decides to pass one doing 65 mph on the 80-mph limit interstate (or 85 mph limit tollway!) and jams up both lanes for a half mile behind. That's just rude, and for some reason the slower truck always refuses to slow slightly and let the other guy get by faster. They just form a rolling roadblock for the couple of miles it takes to complete the pass at a 2-3 mph speed difference. I've seen passes like that completed with a speed differential well below walking speed at times, too.

Happens ALL THE TIME on I-5 between Sacramento and LA. Cars typically do 75-80 or even higher and then you'll come up to both lanes blocked by a truck governed at 56 trying to pass one governed at 55.

'And your point is?'

^ The point is' ^ ....you're wearing out the 'I don't like trucks and truck drivers topic' ^!

Originally Posted By: gman2304
'And your point is?'

^ The point is' ^ ....you're wearing out the 'I don't like trucks and truck drivers topic' ^!

And again, don't read them...no one is forcing you to...and that isn't what this topic started out as, I was simply asking a question...people who complain about other people's posts really have too much time on their hands...

'I like trucks just fine, and they're usually the most courteous drivers I encounter. UNTIL one that wants to do 67 mph decides to pass one doing 65 mph on the 80-mph limit interstate (or 85 mph limit tollway!) and jams up both lanes for a half mile behind. That's just rude, and for some reason the slower truck always refuses to slow slightly and let the other guy get by faster. They just form a rolling roadblock for the couple of miles it takes to complete the pass at a 2-3 mph speed difference. I've seen passes like that completed with a speed differential well below walking speed at times, too.'

^ The bean counters and safety departments are usually the cause of this. Our trucks are governed to 1,550 rpm's 'though the factory redline is 2,200 rpm's' and 65 mph. If you exceed the rpm's or speed that is programmed into the computer, you get a voice activated warning that you have exceeded the set speed and/or rpm. If you get too many in a set time, you get called into the office for a 'consultation.' If the truck is idled for more than 4 minutes it will audibly give you an 'idle warning'. I have gotten 'idle warnings' while sitting at a stoplight. Our trucks also have an 'early warning system' that beeps if it senses you are too close to the vehicle in front of you. I've had it beep and apply the brakes when vehicles were 1/4 mile ahead of me. It's another world we have to operate under nowadays, and driver frustration has never been higher. If a truck is struggling to get around me and is backing up traffic, I lift off the throttle and let him pass. I have been in that situation at times, and it's usually the young guys who won't give you a break. I only work 1 day a week now and only go to other company warehouses. I don't go to our stores any more and usually never more than 100 miles away if I do work. I had a woman trying to merge onto the highway yesterday, when I had 3 vehicles in the lane beside me and I had a choice of running over the cars in the lane to my left or slow down to allow her onto the highway. I slowed but she slowed as well so she ran out of on ramp and by the time she slowed enough to allow me to get by, we both were crawling along on a 6 lane highway with a posted speed of 70 mph. I'm sure she thought it was up to me to be courteous and move over for her, but what she couldn't see was that I had 3 cars on my left side, and I was pulling one of the newer trailers with the aero skirt under it so she couldn't have seen the predicament I was in. When she finally did pass me she was on the phone and was probably calling the safety dept number that's on the back door of our trailers, telling them what an idiot they have driving for them. I wish some here could ride with me just one day, and see some of the idiots I/we have to deal with every time we get into a truck.

They SHOULD pay far more in taxes, they do far more damage to the roads than do POVs...my solution is to expand our nation's railways so they can handle more shipments...

Of course you realize consumers are the ones paying those taxes?

Rail traffic has already increased. If they went back to the old days of every warehouse being on a rail line we'd have to read your posts about how the trains are blocking the road all the time and something must be done.

'I like trucks just fine, and they're usually the most courteous drivers I encounter. UNTIL one that wants to do 67 mph decides to pass one doing 65 mph on the 80-mph limit interstate (or 85 mph limit tollway!) and jams up both lanes for a half mile behind. That's just rude, and for some reason the slower truck always refuses to slow slightly and let the other guy get by faster. They just form a rolling roadblock for the couple of miles it takes to complete the pass at a 2-3 mph speed difference. I've seen passes like that completed with a speed differential well below walking speed at times, too.'

^ The bean counters and safety departments are usually the cause of this. Our trucks are governed to 1,550 rpm's 'though the factory redline is 2,200 rpm's' and 65 mph. If you exceed the rpm's or speed that is programmed into the computer, you get a voice activated warning that you have exceeded the set speed and/or rpm. If you get too many in a set time, you get called into the office for a 'consultation.' If the truck is idled for more than 4 minutes it will audibly give you an 'idle warning'. I have gotten 'idle warnings' while sitting at a stoplight. Our trucks also have an 'early warning system' that beeps if it senses you are too close to the vehicle in front of you. I've had it beep and apply the brakes when vehicles were 1/4 mile ahead of me. It's another world we have to operate under nowadays, and driver frustration has never been higher. If a truck is struggling to get around me and is backing up traffic, I lift off the throttle and let him pass. I have been in that situation at times, and it's usually the young guys who won't give you a break. I only work 1 day a week now and only go to other company warehouses. I don't go to our stores any more and usually never more than 100 miles away if I do work. I had a woman trying to merge onto the highway yesterday, when I had 3 vehicles in the lane beside me and I had a choice of running over the cars in the lane to my left or slow down to allow her onto the highway. I slowed but she slowed as well so she ran out of on ramp and by the time she slowed enough to allow me to get by, we both were crawling along on a 6 lane highway with a posted speed of 70 mph. I'm sure she thought it was up to me to be courteous and move over for her, but what she couldn't see was that I had 3 cars on my left side, and I was pulling one of the newer trailers with the aero skirt under it so she couldn't have seen the predicament I was in. When she finally did pass me she was on the phone and was probably calling the safety dept number that's on the back door of our trailers, telling them what an idiot they have driving for them. I wish some here could ride with me just one day, and see some of the idiots I/we have to deal with every time we get into a truck.

Oh, I feel for you. I drive a lot, I sometimes tow a trailer that slows my acceleration and braking down, and I've seen all the same things. Even in an un-loaded muscle car with a TON of surplus power, braking, and handling like the SRT, other drivers can put me into difficult situations, and do so regularly. Usually because they make poor choices or aren't paying attention, just like your lady on the on-ramp (excessively timid drivers are, IMO, one of the most dangerous things to encounter right after distracted drivers, and she probably combined both!) Drivers who pass then immediately brake for a right turn. Drivers who run down a merge lane at top speed but don't even start looking and aligning with gaps in traffic until the last second. People that actively try to block anyone from merging in front of them (heaven forbid!). People who try to turn left across three lanes of packed city traffic instead of going to a light and making a U-turn (can't tell you how many bad accidents happen right outside my office window because 2 lanes stop to let a car turn and the third lane driver has clear road and never slows down).

But I do sometimes see the same bad decisions going on behind the wheel of commercial trucks and busses, also. My gripe isn't with drivers, its with BAD drivers whatever they are driving.

Why slow down for her? She's the one who needs to do the work to change lanes & merge. By slowing down for her you enable her behavior and reward it.

smile.gif

The FMCSA rules are very against truck drivers' well being. It doesn't operate on a 24 hour schedule.

If you spent as much time driving POVs on the highways as I do, you wouldn't like them either...

I used to and never had a problem. They have just as much of a right (or more) to the highway than you. Remember, they pay significantly more tax than you do. Seems to me that you would have a problem with them going too slow if they were going the speed limit.

What is your solution? We don't have enough rail lines to ship everything.

The only ones I really had a lot of problems with were school bus drivers.

They SHOULD pay far more in taxes, they do far more damage to the roads than do POVs...my solution is to expand our nation's railways so they can handle more shipments...

You have absolutely no idea how much an OTR truck pays in taxes, do you. (That isn't a question.)

'Why slow down for her? She's the one who needs to do the work to change lanes & merge. By slowing down for her you enable her behavior and reward it.'

I realize the burden of merging vehicles is on them to do it safely, and she should have realized that an on ramp is for merging into traffic at or close to the speed of the traffic you're merging into. I'm sure she thought I was being discourteous by not moving over for her when she refused to either accelerate or brake on the ramp to allow for a seamless merge. It did create a cluster for a minute or so, but there were no vehicles behind me and I feel when she finally did merge behind me, she should have seen the traffic in the lane beside me and realized I wasn't trying to hold her off from merging. I see stuff like this regularly where ignorant people endanger themselves and others. I'm not going to get into a pi$$ing contest over whose right or who's wrong with a 4,000 LB vehicle, when the vehicle I'm driving weighs 80,000 lbs.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
You have absolutely no idea how much an OTR truck pays in taxes, do you. (That isn't a question.)

No I don't, and I don't really care...

smile.gif

Let me guess. Last months thread was about trucks driving too slow. Now its about them going too fast?

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

No I don't, and I don't really care...

Then how are you any different from a child covering his ears and hollering, "LA-LA-LA-LA-LA! I CAN'T HEAR YOU! when told something he doesn't want to hear?

The truck traffic in OH is about the worst Ive encountered. Ive driven out to Chicago multiple times, and more than once in inclement weather (heavy snow and heavy rain on different occasions). The trucks keep barreling through, splattering windshields, making it very unsafe. Ive also seen more than one semi hanging off an overpass or in the median along there. Not sure what it is with OH.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back