Possibly Defunct HOA Options

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is something I just thought about. And no I have no prejudice here.
That rule of no company vehicles in the driveway is a beauty... People have to work.
Yeah a well drilling truck or tractor trailer is an obvious no no in a development..

The question is.............
Are police vehicles company vehicles hmm 🤔🤔
Two police officers that I know of live there and keep their vehicles in the driveway ..
I'm sure the neighbors see this as a plus no doubt...

If you are on the east coast you know " Len the Plumber" we have a box truck that parks outside too but if I ever need a quick plumber I got one ..or @walterjay 😆

If all of those supposed CCRs have been broken already not sure how any others could be enforced now but I'm not a lawyer. BUT I do know this, my son had a nice 1 acre property with irrigation and a creek at the back. A next door neighbor got a couple of horses (perfectly legal) and you could no longer be in the back yard or sit on the patio because horse flies BITE. Ruined it. People might try to have a no livestock rule enforced if they couldn't enjoy their property as they were accustomed to before. Not your problem if you sold and moved away.

I second the notion of the community vote to dissolve the HOA. I wouldnt be able to add "horse-friendly" on an ad if the HOA rules are still there, regardless if there isn't someone yet to enforce it.

I second the notion of the community vote to dissolve the HOA. I wouldnt be able to add "horse-friendly" on an ad if the HOA rules are still there, regardless if there isn't someone yet to enforce it.
Needs legal advice...

The bylaws should spell out how that vote would have to be conducted ...

If there are no bylaws and the HOA has been inactive, any attempt to organize it could restart the clock....

Needs legal advice...

The bylaws should spell out how that vote would have to be conducted ...

If there are no bylaws and the HOA has been inactive, any attempt to organize it could restart the clock....
If it restarts the clock I am the only one in compliance. 24 of the 25 are not... I suspect those without clean hands unless dumb wouldn't want to entertain finger pointing. Of course I've seen it before . 😂

Not the kind of restart i mean.

The only think id do before i talked to a lawyer would be to find out what's filed at the courthouse read any bylaws or covenants and restrictions. Id make sure i know them better than anyone.

Not the kind of restart i mean.

The only think id do before i talked to a lawyer would be to find out what's filed at the courthouse read any bylaws or covenants and restrictions. Id make sure i know them better than anyone.
Yes I agree and I am on it now
But that said the horse plan was just an option to attract more buyers and a higher price but if it isn't doable...it isn't and I will comply.
Seriously though it became a freeforall. One neighbor says they did this and now so can I...

Still a great area and since no governing body was ever in force I doubt it could ever be reigned in now. I usually avoid HOA's.

This isn't another HOA bash thread.
Probably as bad. :)
Seriously I belong to a supposed HOA.. (You tell me-please)

Small neighborhood of 12 houses from 2003 and two years ago that expanded to 25.
An HOA governing body was never setup, and I was never charged any HOA fees.
My guess is because I removed about 30 acres of mowing from the seller's equation.
All house completed and my lot is the only vacant one.

I own the front entrance and most other lots there run from 2-5 acres.

The issue at hand and yes, I will have to seek legal counsel I know. Just looking
for feedback basically.

There was an architectural committee listed to approve house plans. That never happened.
Once I bought the last lot of the original subdivision back in 2017, he (owner) got lost.
I tracked him down in 2020 at his business but he acted very suspicious and never called me back.

Some of the many rules were.
* You cannot build a house with 100% siding. You need to mix in brick-stone-stucco etc.
* 2600 sq. ft. minimum. In Maryland. Garages and basements excluded of course.
* Any work or business vehicles with names on them cannot be out in the open- garaged only.
* No boats or RVs on the premises
* No detached garages unless they are voted through the committee
* Plus, many more

My issue with my property. No livestock. I was told at settlement by the owner the reason for that
was that they did not want old bathtubs etc. as feeding and watering stations all over the property.

This year I was informed no HOA dues are being collected anymore and no HOA governing body was ever
assembled. All the rules with an asterisk have been broken to put it modestly. The second phase had 5000 sq. ft houses
and bigger blended in with 1700 sq ft ones which break the rules. Company trucks in about half the driveways.
Detached garages and small sheds all over the place. The broken rules go on.

One police officer across from me has 100% vinyl siding and a big Kubota tractor in his lane and a huge RV out back with
his boat. Plus, he lets most of his 6 acres grow without mowing.

My plans changed when my mom passed as I was going to build a house and have her move in with me
as she needed 24/7 care. Sadly, she didn't last long enough to see it :(

Long story short. I am considering selling it and, in this area, if I could sell it to horse people
the sale would happen in days and the price would be far more. Two nieces of mine sold
their houses in this area in 1 day this year. Both had multiple offers.

Not trying to pull a fast one and I need to sweat the details but in my mind no HOA exist.
My original realtor told me when that house was built with 100% siding the rules were out the door.

Should I pursue the horse farm option? Thanks!

Review state law regarding covenants recorded at the public records office.

Would the existing streets and setbacks meet county code?

This isn't another HOA bash thread.
Probably as bad. :)
you probably need to consult Maryland law re: HOA's and find out if they go out of existence if not updated on a regular basis. HOA's are somewhat of a corporation, by my way of thinking and it might be the case if they are inactive for a long period of time you might not have one, or you could take it over all by yourself on your one vote and change the rules.

Maybe I’m missing something but are you trying to rep and warrant to a buyer that they can put horses on the property? You don’t want to get in the middle of that mess.

Seems like the buyer needs to make his own determination and you are as selling as is. You’ll never be able to clear that cloud until either the HOA is dissolved or you put horses on it for 20 years or so.

I think an attorney will say you can take steps to strengthen your position, but this is America and nothing stops neighbors from filing suit claiming they are offended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back