2017 Fusion Hybrid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody here have one? Mini review please......
Not interested in the 2016 version.
Prices now are great!
Thanks
Jim

Just curious why you only want feedback on 2017 vs folks who have had them a while (me for example) ...

How long do you plan on driving the car? The hybrid at 42 mpg will save you only $476 in gas per year over the standard 25 mpg (combined) version. I looked online and the hybrid version is usually at least $5,000 more than the standard version. It would take 10-1/2 years just to break even in fuel costs to pay for the hybrid version.

And then there's the cost of it potentially needing a battery.

$3k on Ford site.

Got mine, gas was a buck more - after seeing it a buck more than that. My own CAFE standards - folks don't buy them just for economy - but not here to start the "e" debate again.
How do you forecast gas prices 10 years out?
They will not be truly economic until supported to get the cost more even.
Toyota is going to a heavy percent hybrid in coming years.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
How long do you plan on driving the car? The hybrid at 42 mpg will save you only $476 in gas per year over the standard 25 mpg (combined) version. I looked online and the hybrid version is usually at least $5,000 more than the standard version. It would take 10-1/2 years just to break even in fuel costs to pay for the hybrid version.

Change the question to "How many miles per year do you plan on driving the car" and the answer will make more sense. Not everybody drives 12,000 miles a year. For folks who drive 25-30k miles a year, a hybrid makes a lot more sense, even with today's low gas prices. Longer range and less time spent filling up or looking for gas. That's important for folks who travel long distances or live in rural areas.

Depending on what a person does for a living, they can't show up in even a higher-trim Prius. Sends the wrong signal to a customer or prospective customer. Nothing wrong with showing up in a loaded Fusion Hybrid since it doesn't look like a fuel-sipping hybrid. Not everybody wants to or can afford to show off their "green" credentials. Believe it or not, there are still quite a few people who absolutely will not listen to anything said by anybody stepping out of a Prius. If that person happens to be a prospective customer, too bad.

For the battery argument, the number of batteries replaced on parallel hybrids like a Fusion Hybrid are pretty darned low. Low single digits low. The warranty on the battery is also pretty long. By the time the average FFH will need a battery, the rest of the car will likely be ready for the junkyard. Or there will be used/rebuilt batteries available. It's basically a non-issue.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Just curious why you only want feedback on 2017 vs folks who have had them a while (me for example) ...

If I were buying a new one then I'd want some feedback from owners over the last few years. So fire away, it should be relevant.

2014 in signature has 65k on it - does 60 miles a day in stop & go traffic.
Only went to dealer for a multi point check - nothing wrong to date at all.
Interesting comment on how vehicles & their drivers are perceived - our Fusion Hybrid is the Titanium edition - so a pretty nice car really. Hybrids are not going away - CAFE standards and all.
From a general interest perspective - I'm sure some folks questioned the first diesel electric locomotive many years ago - they are alive and well - and now AC versions are very efficient. It is The building block of other power systems such as massive drilling equipment to reach extreme depths.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Originally Posted By: Nick1994

Change the question to "How many miles per year do you plan on driving the car" and the answer will make more sense. Not everybody drives 12,000 miles a year. For folks who drive 25-30k miles a year, a hybrid makes a lot more sense, even with today's low gas prices. Longer range and less time spent filling up or looking for gas. That's important for folks who travel long distances or live in rural areas.

Depending on what a person does for a living, they can't show up in even a higher-trim Prius. Sends the wrong signal to a customer or prospective customer. Nothing wrong with showing up in a loaded Fusion Hybrid since it doesn't look like a fuel-sipping hybrid. Not everybody wants to or can afford to show off their "green" credentials. Believe it or not, there are still quite a few people who absolutely will not listen to anything said by anybody stepping out of a Prius. If that person happens to be a prospective customer, too bad.

For the battery argument, the number of batteries replaced on parallel hybrids like a Fusion Hybrid are pretty darned low. Low single digits low. The warranty on the battery is also pretty long. By the time the average FFH will need a battery, the rest of the car will likely be ready for the junkyard. Or there will be used/rebuilt batteries available. It's basically a non-issue.
I used 15,000 miles per year in my calculation which is what the average person drives. Seeing as how the hybrid version first came out in 2013, those batteries are still new. If he drives 15k miles a year and it takes 10-1/2 years for it to break even and the battery dies at 10 years old, that factors in as well. If it's $2,000 for a new battery then that's 4 more years for it to break even again when all along he could have just gotten a gas version and not have had to worry about it.

I would argue that MOST people are purchasing hybrids and electric cars out of principle.
of course, for us gearheads, what do we do? increase the voltage? rewind the motors? ha ha

That would be me. And the 2017 has upgrades and noise cancellation etc. I had an earlier Fusion Hybrid and that is why I solicited only new cars. Plus the hybrid vs the basic Fusion cost analysis is not accurate when gas goes down Hybrids often can be had for pennies over the basic car. Rebates and incentives skew any cost comparisons.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
I would argue that MOST people are purchasing hybrids and electric cars out of principle.
of course, for us gearheads, what do we do? increase the voltage? rewind the motors? ha ha

Not if you already owned a few.........

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: 4WD

If I were buying a new one then I'd want some feedback from owners over the last few years. So fire away, it should be relevant.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Prices now are great!

Hi Jim,

Please define great. Thank you.

At substantial savings especially if you qualify for everything.
This is not a cheap area to live in but today gas was $1.79 I'm sure cheaper in other areas.
That brings hybrid prices even lower.

I won't go that route- lol
SE is good enough for me
smile.gif

Under $21 for a very nice SE

$26,421 for a 2017 Fusion hybrid Titanium msrp of $32,190 is the lowest I see right now.

I am seeing under 19k for that with an msrp of $27,360. Plus tax, title and license. Plus finder fee for me.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
I am seeing under 19k for that with an msrp of $27,360. Plus tax, title and license. Plus finder fee for me.
laugh.gif

Where are you seeing them for <$19K?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back