2025 Toyota Camry - All Hybrid

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
Toyota has now released the 2025 Toyota Camry. They're all hybrid now, gone are the standard 4 cylinder and V6. AWD is available in all trims.

Toyota hit it out of the park with this IMO, I'm keeping my hopes up for a Camry Prime one day.

Is the gasoline engine part of the drivetrain, or is it completely decoupled and just a generator?

Hope this comes to the UK!

Although the last Camry which recently got discontinued here only had the 2.5 Hybrid FWD drivetrain and could only tow 750kgs.

Is the gasoline engine part of the drivetrain, or is it completely decoupled and just a generator?
This system is a parallel system. Gas engine makes around 180hp in the FXS variant, and drives the wheels in parallel to the electric motor. Unlike the honda system that can't use the gas engine while using the electric motor, and vice versa, this system is more versatile and has a lot more top end oomf. In the honda system, you lose pretty much all torque past 45mph and good luck getting past 60 mph in any reasonable time. In this, the gas engine has plenty of power and since it works in parallel to the electric motor, you have all the power all the time.

Now at the same time, the engine can be decoupled, and thus run only on the electric motors, and while crusing, the engine is recharging the battery because of the second motor/generator. Essentially you have 3 motors attached to a planetary gear set CVT (not belt cvt) thus doing everything all at once (or at least make it seem that way, you can't actually but its close).

This is one of the reasons its the best hybrid system around, because it is truly seamless. You don't have a drop off in power like in separate systems, and you still have a psuedo ev mode unlike the mild hybrids.

Parallel system. I like ours, I suspect higher trims are better, but it really is pretty smooth.

Weber Auto has some good info.

Last edited:
Parallel system. I like ours, I suspect higher trims are better, but it really is pretty smooth.

Weber Auto has some good info.

It really is the most universal and ultimate hybrid system to date. You really can't do it better.
The future is bright if they start scaling down the motor and increasing electric motor power, like on the prime's.

I've had a work from home job for the past 5 years and am currently in the running for a couple of jobs that would have be working back in an office. A good commuting vehicle will be on my wish list as my current car is NOT a good commuter (poor mileage and a manual trans). I was considering an Accord hybrid, but now I think I might just row the 6-speed in traffic until I can check out the 2025 Camry.

Now I see the need to regularly change the fluid!
There's no friction material to shed and few gears to wear. I've been putting off a change on ours, but I'm not sweating it either, it lives a gentle life.

This system is a parallel system. Gas engine makes around 180hp in the FXS variant, and drives the wheels in parallel to the electric motor. Unlike the honda system that can't use the gas engine while using the electric motor, and vice versa, this system is more versatile and has a lot more top end oomf. In the honda system, you lose pretty much all torque past 45mph and good luck getting past 60 mph in any reasonable time. In this, the gas engine has plenty of power and since it works in parallel to the electric motor, you have all the power all the time.

Now at the same time, the engine can be decoupled, and thus run only on the electric motors, and while crusing, the engine is recharging the battery because of the second motor/generator. Essentially you have 3 motors attached to a planetary gear set CVT (not belt cvt) thus doing everything all at once (or at least make it seem that way, you can't actually but its close).

This is one of the reasons its the best hybrid system around, because it is truly seamless. You don't have a drop off in power like in separate systems, and you still have a psuedo ev mode unlike the mild hybrids.
umm, no, that's not how Honda hybrids work.
Not only can you get past sixty expeditiously, you can also do so from seventy to the ton.
Ask the man who owns one.

I like that things are moving toward more and more hybridization as a standard. It truly translates to better MPG unlike the small displacement, high output, turbo engines which in the real world do not always achieve the published MPGs.

Sienna Hybrid (4700lbs) getting 35+ MPG

1700097773041.jpeg

I like that things are moving toward more and more hybridization as a standard. It truly translates to better MPG unlike the small displacement, high output, turbo engines which in the real world do not always achieve the published MPGs.

Sienna Hybrid (4700lbs) getting 35+ MPG

View attachment 188725
That’s pretty incredible. Makes sense when you have a big engine idling all the time in local traffic.

Back