Anybody run any tohatsu outboards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trading in a Honda 50 for a Tohatsu 90 or 115 2-stroke (still deciding...). They have fewer online complaints and seem to be bullet proof. I read somewhere that they have zinc plated internal water passages ...

I decided to go back to 2-stroke as the boat project is a 1962 and there were no 4-strokes back then. Bearcat and Homelite had not come out yet... The Tohatsu TLDI 2-stroke system deems the most reliable of all of them and they are legal on Tahoe
smile.gif

115 is their biggest 2-stroke. Their 4-strokes were under contract to others for a while... Now the others have their own motors, but Tohatsu seems to be still holding the high ground on reliability
smile.gif

For your aluminum boat project, I suspect the 225 is the sweet spot. HD 5" gear case, so bullet proof lower unit. V-6 at 221 cu inches, so just on the low stress line (near on HP per cu in). 87 octane and 2 gal oil capacity (I read it twice - 2 gallon) so lube is not an issue. Oil pump is crank driven, so it's oiling if it's turning
smile.gif

If not the 225, twin 90's would be sweet if going off-shore
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Do you think that a motor that like you said is perhaps three or four years older would still be qualified to be financed if the right down payment is great and just cannot pay the full price on hand?

Or is having a great credit score number better for them to be safe? Because I would never be in the bad for having a motor repo'd ... That would be a terrible thing to have done. 4 paychecks would take care of that in less than 2 months. And both will be happy. The motor would be not collecting dust. And my boat will scoot a bit better on plane. That's for the 20hp.

As for their 115 hpdl, is it, different boat... How quiet is the motor at crushing at around 30-35mph Gps or does it have that annoying whine that most older two strokes have been notorious with having? Is their 2 stroke of that size still good in reliability and less maintence than a newer 4 stroke?

I just know yamahas are cream of the crop but just higher but not quite as high as evinrudes nowadays since that company BRM OR P,, actually makes CanAm atvs... YIKES! Not popular down here in the south.

Ed's Marine in VA is having a sale on everything but Tohatsu... No TLDI's on sale anywhere really, but they are a slightly lower price point to begin with. I suspect that the USA/Canada makers are having sales to compete better with Tohatsu on price...

For the 20, go to Defender.com and see if they have any demo motors or any of last years still in stock? Defender ships anything up to 30 HP w/o requiring dealer installation for warranty... No sales tax and maybe free shipping
smile.gif

Yamaha is just another 4-stroke company now. They are no better or worse than Honda or anyone else. Mercury make the Sea Pro line for commercial use which means better gear-case and external oil fills, etc. Ed's Marine has them on sale at decent prices (Go to the bottom table http://www.edsmarinesuperstore.com/--custom-table-mercury )
smile.gif

The word is the Tohatsu's are pretty quiet unless WOT... Seems the Evirudes are too, but they cost a lot more for same HP. To get same ruggedness, you need to go the their HO line and that's even more expensive ...

I realize this is an old thread recently resurrected, but wanted to provide a bit of info about Tohatsu (FYI I run a 50HP TLDI and love it).

As has been said earlier, all Nissan outboards are Tohatsus with different paint and stickers. All Mercury engines 30HP and lower (four stroke) are also Tohatsus, but with different exterior styling and branding. Evinrude small outboards (again, four strokes) are also Tohatsus.

So they are out there in places you don't expect. Funny thing is that Tohatsu recently introduced a line of large 4 stroke motors. Those, as I understand it, are actually made by Honda. Go figure.

M

OK, here's the update: I abandoned the chase for modern technology. TLDI and E-Tec are both great. They actually perform better than many 4-strokes in power and fuel efficiency. But for an occasional use boat/motor, I just can't justify $10K...

So, for the restricted lakes, I made a deal with one of my bud's to use his stern-drive boat in exchange for part of the maintenance. His Mercruiser can go on any lake that allows powered boats...

I bought a nice used low'ish time Evinrude 70HP 3-cylinder looper (loop charged) and will be selling my BF 50 Honda. I'm out $1,200 before rigging. Mostly all I need are new cables for the 'Rude. So for now, I'm just going to 2-stroke whine and smoke
laugh.gif

Back to the future again for a 1961 hull. The boat is now typical of a mid-80's repower... Should top out at around 40+ and cruise very comfortably at 25 with reduced throttle.

Meanwhile I have the independent outboard mechanic I bought it from on the lookout for a 90* V-4 Johnson 88~115... Since it shares the same transom bolt pattern and controls, switch is easy-peasy. If he can find one in excellent shape for low $$, I'll be in the 50 mph club in a few years
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back