Which amsoil for outboards???

Hi folks, fist post here. So, lets talk outboard oil. I have an 18' Lund with a 1996 60hp Merc 2 stroke and an older 1984ish Rude 8hp. I've been reading for a week about which oils are awesome and why, and here's the jist of what I've come up with...I'm prolly wrong.

TCW3 is the latest iteration, targeted specifically at outboards - It keeps the fish alive, burns clean at water cooled temps, but kinda sux as far as lubrication is concerned because too many lawyers got involved.

Jaso FD (or its iso equivalent) is better lubrication, but may not burn as cleanly at water cooled temps, and might kill some fish or something.

Lets keep the discussion to Amsoil only, just so I can keep my head wrapped around it. Lets assume all the fish are already dead, and I want the absolute best protection for my motors...which one do I use? I'm planning to mix 50:1. Do I use the Jaso FD saber? Do I use the outboard stuff that can mix down to 100:1? What about the injector oil? The HP marine looks okay, but it's tcw3. Seems like the interceptor and dominator are more race specific. Would it be wise to mix saber and the outboard stuff together to get the tcw3 burn, but the jaso fd lubricity?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
Buy a quality oil that meets the specs at Walmart.

Save your Amsoil extra cash for ATF, and gear oils for cars & trucks.

Amsoil products are excellent just expensive. I do not believe the expense is warranted for motor oil but is for ATF & gear oil.

So my purchases are only ATF and gear oil.

I do buy Amsoil small engine oil however. But only a couple of QTs per year.

TCW3 gives all the lubrication you’ll ever need in this situation and it absolutely does not ”suck”. You don’t want to be using FD oils in an outboard they run too cool and slow. FD is for hotter running higher rpm engines. I like HP marine but if you’re premixing 50:1 injector would do very well also.

TCW3 with the ratio specified for that engine. You should not change the ratio because of a newer spec oil.

Nothing like the smell of two cycle exhaust in the morning.

In my experience Pennzoil has been a good oil for everyday use for any 2 cycle marine engine. Burns clean, keeps rings clean, and gives good results plus it is easy to find. I do like Amsoil and I have had good results with it in air cooled applications. I have used Amsoil in a few 2 stroke marine engines however I didn't feel that is was superior in performance per it's price compared to a good quality easily available 2 stroke TCW3 oil.

Amsoil states the HP Injector marine is better at breaking down in the water. Low aquatic toxicity
I would use the HP Injector.
The engine you have is oil injected. I think this oil would be optimal for the Merc. I would think the rust additves would be better in the marine specific oils. I would not mix oils. Amsoil does that for you.

I have a new to me 2000yr 60Hp Merc with oil injection. I will be using the Amsoil HP.

JMHO

Back