K&N?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: PolarisX
A great job for a quick search, this has been discussed and argued so many times...

Ummm, maybe the air filter has but this was posted in the oil filter section.

Good as any other filter in the price range. Not special, not bad. They shouldn't be much more than comparable M1s or similar brands

Talk has been that since K&N moved manufacturing overseas that the efficiency has gone down. Not sure about the workmanship/quality.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
A great job for a quick search, this has been discussed and argued so many times...

Oops, I'm very sorry!

Use a quality fram ultra for $8.97 and leave it in for 10,000 miles or if you want go the full 15000 miles they are pretty good filters as long as they don't try to "make them better"..

Bought a couple $12 K&N's about two years ago. Then I see hecho en Mexico. But, still $12 ?

Definitely an "over priced nothing special filter". I'm sure it's a fine filter and your engine isn't going to implode but if you think you're getting something "extra" for the premium price, you're not.

I really liked the 1" hex nut but didn't like the micron filtering of the paper filter. So I started using the TRD synthetic filters because they have the 1" hex nut paired with 98% @ 20 microns filtering.

If I didn't have a need for the 1" hex nut I'd use a Fram Ultra.

I thought K&N has that innovative nut welded to the end to facilitate removal/installation of filter?

...and all I'm reading on this topic is "junk" "not innovative" "good as any other filter"

Seriously, have you seen a K&N oil filter before you post?

The K&N for my wife's BMW was available at Walmart and look to be quality; it's made in Korea.

We're going to let 'er rip for a year or so and see how it does.

It has a sweet looking red element.

Napa Platinum is only $7.50 this month
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

Oops, I'm very sorry!

Chuckle,,, it's. Cool.

Originally Posted By: SavagePatch
Definitely an "over priced nothing special filter". I'm sure it's a fine filter and your engine isn't going to implode but if you think you're getting something "extra" for the premium price, you're not.

I really liked the 1" hex nut but didn't like the micron filtering of the paper filter. So I started using the TRD synthetic filters because they have the 1" hex nut paired with 98% @ 20 microns filtering.

The nut is what I like too but the nut alone isn't worth what you pay for one if the filter isn't top shelf. Thanks for your reply I will try and find the TRD filter.

Thanks you gentlemen for your replys.

The current K&N filter is approximately 85% efficient at 20 microns compared to over 99% of many other good filters that are cheaper I would certainly say your paying for a lot of extra money for a welded nut

Originally Posted By: Sealbilly
Originally Posted By: SavagePatch

The nut is what I like too but the nut alone isn't worth what you pay for one if the filter isn't top shelf. Thanks for your reply I will try and find the TRD filter.

Thanks you gentlemen for your replys.

If you have Amazon Prime that's where I get them. I run them for two OCI'S too. Less mess on my '98 Tacoma's 45° downward angled oil filter. Worse design ever!

If you go by the efficiency rating that has been reported for them on this board, probably overpriced. They don't report an efficiency on their box.

What's weird to me is, the STP XL with the same COO and perhaps even made by the same manufacturer rate their filters at 99%>20um using the industry ISO test. It's weird to me because STP XL sold at AZ reports a very solid efficiency rating and K&N reports none, but excluding the dome nut construction looks very similar.

If efficiency rating is important to you, the Ultra spin on filter is likely the better choice in a similar or less price range.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
The current K&N filter is approximately 85% efficient at 20 microns compared to over 99% of many other good filters that are cheaper I would certainly say your paying for a lot of extra money for a welded nut

Did the 85% stat come from K&N themselves?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back