Mouse Guns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: totegoat
Find a .22 she is comfortable with. If she wants more horsepower, she can tell you.

Yes Ruger makes that nice lcr revolver in 22LR, 22Mag, 357mag/38 special, and 327 magnum, even 9mm I imagine the 357 with a soft normal loaded 38 special would be great.

I know at least one "granny" with hand size and strength issues that likes the Beretta 21 and 3032. The tilt up barrel design makes administrative functions very easy. Chambering and unloading can be accomplished without the necessity of racking the slide and in the event of a malfunction, racking the slide can be accomplished without much had strength. 22LR, 25ACP, and 32ACP don't pack much punch (or recoil), but given the choice between them and noting, they win, especially in capable hands with good shot placement. http://www.beretta.com/en-us/21-a-bobcat/

The .32 is the Tomcat. It doesn't really show in pictures, but it is larger and heavier than the .22 LR Bobcat. I have both; both are fine pocket guns.

Find a .22 she is comfortable with. If she wants more horsepower, she can tell you.

Never use a 22 for self defense for a couple reasons. If you can shoot or afford better...do it.

1. There is not very much out there for self defense ammo.

2. Rimfire is less reliable than centerfire ammo. Rimmed ammo in a magazine fed semi auto also slightly compromises reliable function.

3. It has pretty awful "stopping power". My nephew, in the act of committing a crime was shot with one at a distance of 5 feet. Two the the head and one to the chest. He is up walking around. You would never know he was shot honestly unless you knew him before. Only lasting effect is a lazy eye.

If the person can handle the double action pull....a heavy all steel 4 inch barrel revolver shooting 38 special loads will have almost no recoil.

Originally Posted By: billt460
I too see absolutely zero reason to be carrying a .22 handgun for self defense. There are better guns with more stopping power that are just as easy to handle.

Agreed..and again it goes back to the training issue. A person (man or woman) who can only handle a .22 is not trained enough to be safe to carry. Better off to carry a loud whistle..seriously.

I don't want my wife to carry (and neither does she) bc she doesn't have nor does she want to be trained.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein

3. It has pretty awful "stopping power". My nephew, in the act of committing a crime was shot with one at a distance of 5 feet. Two the the head and one to the chest. He is up walking around. You would never know he was shot honestly unless you knew him before. Only lasting effect is a lazy eye.

Did he complete the crime, or did the .22 stop that, even if it did not leave him DRT?

We got some NOLA trash after Katrina, and it seemed their murder weapon of choice was the .22.

Still, it's better than a loud whistle - if nothing else, it's louder ....

Originally Posted By: Win

Did he complete the crime, or did the .22 stop that, even if it did not leave him DRT?

We got some NOLA trash after Katrina, and it seemed their murder weapon of choice was the .22.

Still, it's better than a loud whistle - if nothing else, it's louder ....

That's because NOLA trash is poor, and .22 is cheap. I know guys like that, as I used to live in LA. The "Deuce deuce" was/is popular because it's cheap to buy, easy to get, simple to forget in the Red. Same for hi-points. They only want it to feed 1 mag, and sink. Used to work with a bunch of felons.

.22 Kills More People a Year Than Any Other Caliber. Easy to research.

Give us a "Reputable " source if its so easy.

And the common cold kills even more. Gonna sneeze on that mugger? Killing isn't the goal. Stopping is.

And falling down stairs kills even more. Why waste money on guns? If you love statistics so much, just lure your assailant down a staircase and be done with it. Your odds are better. Easy to research.

22 coming from a 4 or 6 inch barrel is super anemic compared to that leaving a 16 or 18 inch barrel. As for my nephew....he did commit the crime but when he was shot and left for dead in the parking lot, the criminal he tried to rob took his money back.

BTW....he laid there for over three hours before being found and was still alive.

22 coming from a 4 or 6 inch barrel is super anemic compared to that leaving a 16 or 18 inch barrel.

Not true. It's nowhere near the drop off one would think. With some brands the difference between a 16" barrel and a 6" one is barely 100 FPS. After 18" most brands of .22 LR will slow from a longer barrel. They're made for a maximum velocity out of a 16" barrel. That's why Olympic Free Rifles, as well as many Biathlon Rifles have a false muzzle for the last 6" or more. They want the longer sight radius without the loss of muzzle velocity.

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/22.html

16" 1130 1094 1489 1398 1306 1185 1207 1251 1340 900

6" 1049 993 1321 1249 1165 1063 1101 1133 1093 824

Winchester
Model 63
23" barrel 1031

Ruger
Mark II
10" barrel 1102

Guns and ammo did it a long time ago. If I recall the difference between a 14 inch barrel and a 4 inch was approximately 200fps. But when you are dealing with a low mass projectile like a standard 22, that scrubs off quite a bit of muzzle energy.

So a 22 from a rifle (36 grain going at 1100 fps) is going to have about 98 foot pounds of muzzle energy (according to my muzzle energy calculator)

That same round fired from a 4 inch pistol is going to have around 65 foot pounds of energy, so essentially the round loses about a third of its muzzle energy. That is significant to me when the round has SO little to work with from the start.

Last edited:
-I still have my little FIE Titan 25, but I would only carry it as a last resort. It's still a fun little pistol to shoot, and fairly accurate at typical self defense ranges. Besides that, I'll stick to my S&W SD40VE or Ruger LC9S.

0222141708_zpsf138aa61.jpg

L8R,
Matt

A sad .22 event in Florida this past Sunday:

"Brumby, 64, accidentally shot and killed his 14-year-old son Stephen. He was trying to remove a hot shell that fell into the back of his shirt. He fired a bullet from a .22 caliber semi automatic pistol that hit his son behind him."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back