0% ethanol gas please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SeaJay
Don't know about Canada, or other US states for that matter. But here in NY state (or at least the NYC metro area) regulations mandate that 10% ethanol be added to gasoline. It is not possible to purchase 0% ethanol, or pure gasoline. Period.

The law is 87 octane has to be E10. Premium can be E0. I can find lots of E0 in upstate NY.

It's actually down to the county level in most states. Here in southeastern Wisconsin some counties are designated as EPA non-attainment areas so we have RFG mandated by law. But in other counties you can buy 87, 89 or 91 non-RFG.

Actually it can be even more granular than county level since a few enterprising cities here in Wisconsin have unilaterally taken it upon themselves to mandate RFG.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
Shell 91 is the only one advertised at the pump as 0 ethanol as far as I know.

Wow, I wish it was like that in the US.

It is in WI. Most stations offer 91 no ethanol. 93 generally has ethanol. And there is a growing number of stations that offer 87 no ethanol.

there are no generalities with ethanol. the only way to know for sure if you have ethanol is to sample and test it, and even if you do and you find E0 once i doubt that with this convoluted mess our government has created that you would get E0 again.

Originally Posted By: Srt20
It is in WI. Most stations offer 91 no ethanol. 93 generally has ethanol. And there is a growing number of stations that offer 87 no ethanol.

Unless of course you live in Kenosha, Milwaukee, Ozaukee, Racine, Washington or Waukesha county.

Originally Posted By: MRtv
I am shocked Canada went down the road of stupid like the US and is using their food supply to dilute gas with ethanol.

Environmentalism has really took off here, and we are doing all sorts of stupid things.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
My turbo loves ethanol spiked gas.

Yep, if apparent octane rating is all you need then RFG is for you. If you're looking for energy density, then not so much.

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
petro canada used to have it but not anymore!i dont want my car to rust away because of this new bad gas

Oh my Lord. You have to be seriously kidding. Folks around my area have been using ethanol laced gasoline since the late 70's. Carbureted engines, Port Injected, direct injected, everything that takes gas. It has rarely been a topic of conversation for several decades. If vehicles were dying a horrible death because of it, we sure would know about it. I am surrounded by 46 ethanol plants, and though we also have wide availability of ethanol free gas, the vast majority still pump E10. I ran a 1974 Pontiac Catalina with a carbureted 400 small block most of its life on E10. Same for a 1979 Ford Bronco with a 351M engine. The Pontiac finally gave out, but not the motor. It died of severe body cancer from salt, not ethanol. Motor was still fine after 250,000 miles.

I am shocked Canada went down the road of stupid like the US and is using their food supply to dilute gas with ethanol.

Really? How much #2 yellow dent field corn do you eat? If you would just do a little research and inform yourself about what goes in and out of an ethanol plant, you would realize that none of the food supply is affected. Even on the back end of the ethanol producing thing, out comes a laundry list of high protein feed products for livestock, stuff for formulating plastics, oils that can also be used for biodiesel production, and the list goes on. Some of these items can only be obtained efficiently by the process used in creating ethanol. Even insulators for spark plugs are made with components derived from corn used in ethanol production.

At least in this part of the country, it isn't done this way. Ethanol is produced using [animal] feed grade grain, not [human] food grade grain. In any case, Esso should be another option to the OP. For best results, email the oil companies. They'll likely tell you. Petro-Canada, at least here, does have E0 premium, as do most stations. You're not likely to find E0 regular anywhere in the country, at least not very easily.

Don't know about Canada, or other US states for that matter. But here in NY state (or at least the NYC metro area) regulations mandate that 10% ethanol be added to gasoline. It is not possible to purchase 0% ethanol, or pure gasoline. Period.

Same for California.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Same for California.

Same for the Dallas/Fort Worth area.

I always smirk at how the folks living in the Corn belt have such a different opinion on this matter... 😁

That is because in the "corn belt" we have been using ethanol in our vehicles longer than anyone else in N. America and have gotten beyond the hype and sky is falling nonsense. We have more engine hours under our belt using ethanol than anyone else, even before the OEM's started building for it. We laugh at those who think ethanol is the destruction of mankind and throw out all kinds of reasoning that doesn't jjve with reality.

Never noticed any mechanical issues with E10. In fact, it enabled me to begin using regular instead of mid-grade in my 89 Accord LXi. BUT, there was a small loss of power. When E10 first became the standard here E0 was the norm outside the metro area and I'd buy it when traveling. I also noticed an almost immediate 10% loss in fuel economy. I watched my mileage closely before and after the switch to RFG here and I went from 29 to 26 combined mpg. So, I hope the result is cleaner air because it is costing us all to use it.

yes there should be a loss in mileage based on the lower energy density of ethanol.

i like to make my decision at the pump as to what I am going to use, even though in my case for the vehicles i drive it has always calculated to be better to put E0 in my tank.

search this forum many threads discussing this at length.

The federal government in all it's infinite wisdom created a bit of a mess in allowing each state to interpret it's 10% ethanol requirement in fuels and not being specific. Each state then created their own standard and that is why different states use different octane fuels to meet the fed standard.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back