Mobil 1 ESP 5W30 or Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: pb379
I know what the TBN should be. That wasn't what the lab reported, hence my question.

My question is: why is that important?
Second question is: why you comparing two oils that are for different application?

Because I want to know where I start baseline.
Not a comparison of these two oils.

If you're doing a baseline, that's perfectly acceptable, and, in fact, what you should be doing. Doing a VOA of an oil at the same lab one is doing trended analysis is the way it should be done.

Thanks Garak. I appreciate the help.

I talked with the lab this afternoon about the TBN being lower than I'd have expected. The tech informed me there will be a difference between the VOA the lab comes up with and what the oil manufacturer states because they use different tests.
ASTM D-2896 is used by the oil manufacturer for new, unused virgin oil.
ASTM D4739 is used by labs in the field to test used oil.

I did ask for them to run the TBN again, just to be sure.

Thanks

The elves and I have parted ways. I am a confirmed M1ESP user now. Especially since NAPA has had a half price promotion for it

I have also come to the conclusion that oils with a genuine difference don't come along that often (Castrol SLX/GC was one of those). I think Mobil 1 ESP is another so I "chase" very few oils now as I find that most times I am interested in a name (Total, Petronas, etc) not markedly improved quality or technology. To each his or her own I say

I think the elves branched out with the whack of A3/B4 stuff Castrol has out there now.
wink.gif

Thank you Doug...I appreciate that. Interesting time coming up...we are considering a Porsche Macan, Mercedes GLA or Infiniti QX30 as we want to downsize our vehicle. If the Porsche, Mobil 1 is definitely my oil of choice and if the Lubrizol tool is to be believed about the only thing that offers equal protection than ESP will be an FA-4 oil (once they are released).

Garak,

Have not spoken with the elves in a while but they seem to have settled into taking the same basic chemistry and tweaking it...not pushing for a real break through. Maybe the new XW-16 oils will spur them to greatness again.

Hello everyone,

I was wondering what are the max OCI you guys are doing with ESP 5W-30 in the US?

I am considering this oil in Europe with ULSF and I am wondering if it can make it for 7500 miles or so.

The elves? Please enlighten me.

When the green GC first came out in the US, was noted to have a slightly sweet fragrance and seemed to produce "magical" results in UOAs, it got my imagination going and I asserted it was made by elves in the Black Forest of Germany. The idea got picked up by others who ran with it and it became kind of a BITOG phenomenon, probably not to everyone's delight it must be said. Here is the official story as I related it. Lead elf Juergen and his colleagues originally brewed fine German lager but they never could get it to sales points at its ultimate freshness because their delivery truck kept breaking down due to oil related issues. SO, for the benefit of their original business--brewing beer--they got into tinkering with motor oil formulations and they were able to come up with a formula (GC/SLX) that kept their truck running reliably. As I said, with the myth in place it became a constant undercurrent for threads on GC. It was a great deal of fun in the midst of a technical forum and it lasted for quite a few years. There you have it.

PS Even though I am now a confirmed Mobil 1 user, I will always think good things about the original GC/SLX. As far as I am concerned, it was a bit "magical."

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: a5m
Originally Posted By: volodymyr
Hello everyone,

I was wondering what are the max OCI you guys are doing with ESP 5W-30 in the US?

I am considering this oil in Europe with ULSF and I am wondering if it can make it for 7500 miles or so.

I am aiming for 7500 miles if putting a lot of long distance miles on the car or 5000 if in a mix of distance and stop and go, especially in really cold temperatures. It will be used in both turbo and non turbo 4 or 6 cyl.

I have no desire to use any shorter intervals barring something really unusual.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pscholte
Have not spoken with the elves in a while but they seem to have settled into taking the same basic chemistry and tweaking it...not pushing for a real break through.

At least it's available.
wink.gif
That side of the issue has improved dramatically in the last few years here. Heck, the only readily available dexos2 oil up here is a Castrol one.

I mentioned in another thread that Castrol needs to get back into F1 sponsorship.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Have not spoken with the elves in a while but they seem to have settled into taking the same basic chemistry and tweaking it...not pushing for a real break through.

At least it's available.
wink.gif
That side of the issue has improved dramatically in the last few years here. Heck, the only readily available dexos2 oil up here is a Castrol one.

I mentioned in another thread that Castrol needs to get back into F1 sponsorship.

I don't know if they will do that or not...they like to move in mysterious ways...kinda like the elves...

When the green GC first came out in the US, was noted to have a slightly sweet fragrance and seemed to produce "magical" results in UOAs, it got my imagination going and I asserted it was made by elves in the Black Forest of Germany. The idea got picked up by others who ran with it and it became kind of a BITOG phenomenon, probably not to everyone's delight it must be said. Here is the official story as I related it. Lead elf Juergen and his colleagues originally brewed fine German lager but they never could get it to sales points at its ultimate freshness because their delivery truck kept breaking down due to oil related issues. SO, for the benefit of their original business--brewing beer--they got into tinkering with motor oil formulations and they were able to come up with a formula (GC/SLX) that kept their truck running reliably. As I said, with the myth in place it became a constant undercurrent for threads on GC. It was a great deal of fun in the midst of a technical forum and it lasted for quite a few years. There you have it.

PS Even though I am now a confirmed Mobil 1 user, I will always think good things about the original GC/SLX. As far as I am concerned, it was a bit "magical."

Interesting story! Thanks for the laughs.

Interesting story! Thanks for the laughs.

Glad you enjoyed it. Before it ran its course the stories got pretty outlandish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back