Mobil 1 Delvac esp 5w-40 in Audi q3 TDI

Can I use Mobile 1 Delvac 1 esp 5w-40 in my 2015 Audi q5 TDI. VW lists Mobil 5w30 esp as compatible but not the 5w-40.
Any help appreciated

Delvac 5w40 has an ash content of 1. 5w30 is 0.6. Apparently the ash content is what's bad for dpf. Just don't know if 1.0 is too high

Can I use Mobile 1 Delvac 1 esp 5w-40 in my 2015 Audi q5 TDI. VW lists Mobil 5w30 esp as compatible but not the 5w-40.
Any help appreciated
Delvac 1 ESP 5w40 has an ash level of 1% so technically it does not meet the requirement for your vehicle. Besides it's silly to use HDEO in a passenger car. Completely different operating environments as they're formulated to a completely different set of parameters.

If you want a 40 grade equivalent to M1 ESP 5w30 perhaps look for VW 511.00 Ex M1 ESP 0w40.

The Delvac ESP 5w-40 is going to be an HDEO. Whereas Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30 is a light duty multi-vehicle oil designed to help prolong the life and maintain the efficiency of emission systems in new, emerging diesel and gasoline powered European vehicles. I'd just use the Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30 or a low emissions compatible 5w-40 that meets VW Spec?

What's your oil consumption. Mid to low saps multi vehicle oils are meant to save the cat and dpf because you have to consider that from the factory these engines can burn a lot of oil like a quart every thousand miles and it will not be warrantied because it's deemed "normal" and it has been decided that with this low to mid saps oil being burned at a rate of a quart per thousand should preserve the equipment enough to get out of the warranty.

Any help appreciated

Why would you want to use Delvac ESP 5W-40? You got it for free? :unsure:
If not - I'd keep running some VW 504 00 (or VW 511 00 if you feel better with XW-40 instead).

Delvac 1 ESP 5w40 has an ash level of 1% so technically it does not meet the requirement for your vehicle. Besides it's silly to use HDEO in a passenger car. Completely different operating environments as they're formulated to a completely different set of parameters.
If you want a 40 grade equivalent to M1 ESP 5w30 perhaps look for VW 511.00 Ex M1 ESP 0w40.

Fully agree.

I got a bunch of the 5w-40 for almost free
It meets API CK-4/SN plus and a host of other manufacture's approvals.
I have 1 1/2 pails of it left.
I'm going to try is in a 2022 3.6L Acadia after I use up the last of my 10W40 GTX API SP.
Not technically approved for that application? Don't care.

Any help appreciated
I've been using it in mine. I know it doesn't meet the VW 507 spec but I read somewhere someone had a 3.0 tdi that was using it with high miles (>200k) and no issues.

The one difference I had was mine stopped consuming oil. It was taking ½ a quart every ~1500 miles on 5W-30 and now uses nothing with the Delvac 5W-40 esp, which has to benefit the dpf.

Ive had no issues running Rotella T6, Delvac or Blue 5/40 in my GL320, it does not meet the spec, but multiple analysis have shown no issues over 65k miles. My soot load also has not increased dramatically, and is around 40% using my scanner. A friend runs it in his TDI, along with Rotella and Blue as well, and has not had issues in a few years. Note he ran it before and after he was deleted, no problems while still under diesel gate warranty.

Back