Mobil 1 ESP 5W30 or Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
For example, new M1 0W40 FS has HTHS of 3.6cp. M1 5W30 ESP has HTHS of 3.58cp! That is what matter in turbo engine.

that's not true. You want an oil that can resist oxidation for turbos. Has nothing to do with HT/HS.

https://mobiloil.com/en/article/why-the-...charged-engines

Mobil has been head of the curve on turbo performance IMO, starting with Honda's proprietary HTO-06 test that does a far better job of evaluating turbo performance than the TEOST test. HTO-06 tests used oil rather than new.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
M1 5W30 ESP is using VISOM base oils.

Even if this is true, using some VISOM base oil does not automatically mean you can't have good Noack. For a long time, M1 0w-40 was using VISOM base, and still managed to have Noack of around 8.8%, if memory serves me right. With a narrower viscosity spread that a 5w-30 oil has, it should be able to achieve even lower Noack than that.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
M1 5W30 ESP is using VISOM base oils.

Even if this is true, using some VISOM base oil does not automatically mean you can't have good Noack. For a long time, M1 0w-40 was using VISOM base, and still managed to have Noack of around 8.8%, if memory serves me right. With a narrower viscosity spread that a 5w-30 oil has, it should be able to achieve even lower Noack than that.

Oh no, do not get me wrong. I believe that NOACK could be below 8%. It is not definitely above 0W40.
What I meant is that considering it is VISOM, 5.8% seem too low.
I am using it for a reason, and in diesel application, considering I hit redline very often, drive in mountains etc. it consumed so far zero oil.
Only reason why I am going to switch to Valvoline is price+all necessary specs.+good numbers on PDS.
But considering I still have 12ltrs of M1 5W30 ESP, I will continue to use that oil in winter since it is bit thinner then V 5W40.

Well, well, well.

NAPA has Mobil 1 ESP 5W30 on sale for $5.99/L this month, so I'll be stocking up on it. Can't beat it at that price.

Thanks for the replies.

Thanks for the heads up. The ESP usually isn't included in the $5.99 sale. I picked up 6 more liters of the 5W-30 today.

Whenever Autozone has Mobil 1 oil and Mobil 1 filter special - then you could get the 5 quarts of 5w30 ESP and 0w30 ESP with mobil 1 filter for around 30-35 bucks. But not every single autozone carries ESP oils.

So. How well would the M1 ESP 5W30 work in my 2002 Sequoia? Good to go, or good'nuf?

Originally Posted By: pb379
So. How well would the M1 ESP 5W30 work in my 2002 Sequoia? Good to go, or good'nuf?

You mean Toyota Sequoia? Good, overkill, not necessary at all.
First, M1 5W30 ESP is so called Euro 5W30, which is much heavier then 5W30 you need. It will impact your MPG. It is Low-SAPS oil, so designed for cars with complicated emission systems.
Your engine is not designed with these oils in mind. Go get regular Mobil1 5W30 or Mobil1 5W30 EP.

Well, if it decreased my MPG by 5% it would lower my average MPG from 12.7 to 12.1 MPG
smile.gif

I guess I'll get regular old M1 5W30

Thanks

Recently, I've sent a virgin sample of both of these oils to Oil Analyzers for testing. Some things I'd like to share-
Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 TBN 4.28 Oxidation 29 abs/cm

Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5w40 TBN 8.8

What do y'all think?

Why the high oxidation with M1 ESP?

Do you think the testing is ok?

Recently, I've sent a virgin sample of both of these oils to Oil Analyzers for testing. Some things I'd like to share-

What do y'all think?

Who is oil analyzer? Blackstone? Blackstone said that their VOA testing is not as accurate as UOA testing. Reason is that they pay more attention to UOA since they get much more of those samples.
I would say TBN is incorrect. However, TBN in M1 5W30 ESP will be lower then in Delvac because theya re made for different vehicles.
As oxidation, it might be. M1 5W30 had also high TAN results when I did UOA which could be due to Easters in the oil.

Last edited:
pb379 said:
Who is oil analyzer? Blackstone? Blackstone said that their VOA testing is not as accurate as UOA testing. Reason is that they pay more attention to UOA since they get much more of those samples.
I would say TBN is incorrect. However, TBN in M1 5W30 ESP will be lower then in Delvac because theya re made for different vehicles.
As oxidation, it might be. M1 5W30 had also high TAN results when I did UOA which could be due to Easters in the oil.

Complete rubbish... Blackstone would have said that to cover themselves when their own report contradicts the manufacturers tech data sheet.

It was done by Oil Analyzers Inc. It is the lab associated with Amsoil.

What do y'all think?

TBN of virgin :
a)M1 ESP 5W30, being C3, is min 6; and
b)Delvac1 ESP 5W40 , being E7,E9 is min 9 (10.1 to be specific)
blush.gif

I know what the TBN should be. That wasn't what the lab reported, hence my question.

Originally Posted By: fj610
pb379 said:

Complete rubbish... Blackstone would have said that to cover themselves when their own report contradicts the manufacturers tech data sheet.

Blackstone said that!
That their VOA analysis is not as accurate anymore as before since they changed methodology in order to provide as accurate as possible UOA.
If interested, there is their announcement somewhere on this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back