Date on my tires? DOT B77B BV8X?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Michelin LTX M/S2 tires, P265/70r18, was looking for the date they where made, the information on the tires say DOT B77B BV8X. From what I've seen and read that BV8X is/was suppose to be the date info. I don't get it??? Anyone understand this code?

while i'm sure you know this already, the B7 just after DOT says they were made in Dothan AL.

there should be 4 digits following the code you posted, such as 3215, which would be the 32nd week of 2015.

Last edited:
The B7 means Michelin's factory in Dothan, AL

The 7B means the tire size

But only one side of the tire has the date code, which comes after the B77B BV8X. Check another tire; hopefully at least one of them has the code on the outside!

For example
B77B BV8X 3215, which indicates the __ week of 20__ (in this example, the 32nd week of 2015)

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Check another tire; hopefully at least one of them has the code on the outside!

There have been recalls for tires without stamps but in this case, the tire is probably a OWL tire so all tires would be mounted with DOT in.

Common mounting procedure is to ensure all the DOT's face the same way to reduce conicity differences of the tires. Of course, this isn't possible with directional tires.

Originally Posted By: LotI
There have been recalls for tires without stamps but in this case, the tire is probably a OWL tire so all tires would be mounted with DOT in. ........

Sorry, but current rules say the DOT has to be on the side intended out - which means the white side. I am sure NHTSA will not grant exceptions (except for isolated incidences where the tire manufacturer agrees not to let it happen again).

...... Common mounting procedure is to ensure all the DOT's face the same way to reduce conicity differences of the tires. Of course, this isn't possible with directional tires.

Sorry, but conicity is NOT dependent on which side of the mold is up. Conicity can be both positive and negative, meaning the pull can be pushing in towards the vehicle or out away from the vehicle.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
There have been recalls for tires without stamps but in this case, the tire is probably a OWL tire so all tires would be mounted with DOT in. ........

Sorry, but current rules say the DOT has to be on the side intended out - which means the white side. I am sure NHTSA will not grant exceptions (except for isolated incidences where the tire manufacturer agrees not to let it happen again).

...... Common mounting procedure is to ensure all the DOT's face the same way to reduce conicity differences of the tires. Of course, this isn't possible with directional tires.

Sorry, but conicity is NOT dependent on which side of the mold is up. Conicity can be both positive and negative, meaning the pull can be pushing in towards the vehicle or out away from the vehicle.

Thanks for the information. I mentioned the OWL because tire manufactures often don't just have a BW version in order to keep inventory down. Size proliferation is absurd nowadays so having one sku per size can reduce inventory. I notice most vehicles on the road are BW. The new installs that are RWL/OWL seem to be blue...the shops are too lazy to take 5 minutes to scrub.

I mentioned common mount procedures, not construction. Educating a tire tech to pay attention is tough, at least start on the right foot by mounting all tires the same and then use Road Force to find mounting positions on the car.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer

Which did me no good: for years, the tires I ran on my Cadillac were RWL...but I didn't want RWL on that car, so I ran them with the letters flipped in.
mad.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back