The morality of riding a bike married with kids

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
When I see the H#lls Angels in Daytona Beach, no cop will give any of them a ticket for loud pipes.

That's what attracts some people to ride a Harley.

Why would any cop worth his badge hesitate to do so?
What are the bike boys gonna do?
They might win a battle, but they won't be able to get out of town without losing the war.
In any battle between hooligans and the law, the cops hold all of the cards.

Seems like there are different ways to get killed on a bike - being rear ended is very rare here, I've never heard of anyone on a bike being killed that way, a few bumped of the bike, but it's not considered a major road hazzard. What kills riders here is tourists on the wrong side of the road, particually in the South Island. Worries me on some of the roads I ride - they have big arrows on the road to remind tourists which side of the road we drive on.

Some highschool kids have made a T plate. Last paragraph, those kids lost their father when a tourist took out his bike 48 hrs after landing here.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/taranaki-daily-ne...ymouth-students

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Originally Posted By: grampi
Loud pipes don't matter if the person texting or drunk behind the wheel of a vehicle.

Loud pipes do absolutely nothing towards saving lives...they can't be heard by other drivers until you've gone past...

Personally, I can't stand them anyway. I could barely enjoy a trip to Deadwood, S.D. because the noise while touring around was highly annoying.

I actually don't mind aftermarket pipes as long as the baffles stay in...the straight pipes are obnoxious though...

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
When I see the H#lls Angels in Daytona Beach, no cop will give any of them a ticket for loud pipes.

They might win a battle, but they won't be able to get out of town without losing the war.

I agree.

Originally Posted By: Silk
Seems like there are different ways to get killed on a bike - being rear ended is very rare here, I've never heard of anyone on a bike being killed that way, a few bumped of the bike, but it's not considered a major road hazzard. What kills riders here is tourists on the wrong side of the road, particually in the South Island. Worries me on some of the roads I ride - they have big arrows on the road to remind tourists which side of the road we drive on.

Some highschool kids have made a T plate. Last paragraph, those kids lost their father when a tourist took out his bike 48 hrs after landing here.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/taranaki-daily-ne...ymouth-students

I think you're in a pretty quiet rural area like me. No 4 lane roads with complex traffic lights, no suburban strips of [censored] places to eat, big box stores, and people hurrying around while texting...
You do control more of the factors in how safe your ride is then than alot of people.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
They shouldn't get tickets. The bikes should be seized and destroyed.

Are you serious?
That seems a little extreme although it would solve the problem with a quickness.

Absolutely one hundred percent dead serious. Destroy the bikes and charge the owners for disposal.

Bicycle is bad enough.. have did almost 3k and so far went down twice and nothing major. Have thought about a 50cc scooter for play but I'll pass on the motorcycle. Same reason other's mentioned. My uncle has a screwed up leg due to a dog running out in front of him. Though I know alot of people that do ride and no wrecks. Experience and training is the key.. if the same applied to car/truck drivers most would be dead by now.

Cops down here won't hassle with bikers just for a little noise. Even in places like Miami Beach the cops won't bother the bikers unless they are revving their engines at 2AM leaving a bar.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
My neighbor bought his first motorcycle. His brother has been riding for years and gave him some pointers. He bought a black Honda VTX 1300 I believe it was. His brother told him to put on a loud custom exhaust so everyone would hear him to avoid accidents. It is super LOUD.
I suppose we should all take the mufflers off of our cars, too.
Does making a lot of non-directional NOISE substitute for NO Helmet? I've been riding BMW airheads for over 25 years and I can't say lock of NOISE has made me less safe. But, I wear all the gear.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo
I always wanted a bike and entertained getting one.
That changed while we were on vacation in Maryland in 2006 and came upon a fresh accident in which a guy was laying dead on the ground with his bike on top of him with the front end of a Dodge Caravan on top of the bike. I've never been able to get that picture out of my mind.
I bought a Mustang convertible instead.
I'd never own a convertible, they're dangerous. Maybe they need loud pipes.

I've always felt that, as the head of my household, I have a moral obligation to keep myself as healthy as possible. While it's impossible to insulate one's self against all the possible injuries, accidents or health maladies, it is possible to reduce that risk as much as possible.

Imagine a guy getting killed on a motorcycle, leaving behind a wife and 3 kids. Because of his irresponsible behavior, the wife has to deal with the heartache and financial issues, as well as the loss of her spouse. Depending upon insurance, she may have to file bankruptcy or lose/sell their home. All because her husband wanted to joy ride on a motorcycle.

The kids lose their father at a time in their lives when he is the most important person, and there is no one who can fill those shoes. And it's not as though it were for a reason beyond his control-it was simply because he was selfish and wanted to ride his motorcycle rather than drive a vehicle. Clearly their father felt that joy riding on a motorcycle was more important that being around to take care of them.

The moral question that a man has to ask himself; Is the devastation that my death would cause my family worth joyriding on a motorcycle? And a man has to ask himself if he is the type of person that is willing to put his family through that just to ride a motorcycle?

Pop , I agree with a lot of what you said. I did not ride while my son was young and living at home. I would not call riding a motorcycle irresponsible or that its joyriding, although some do ride that way.

I do think putting yourself and your wife on the bike when you have young kids, is a very poor decision.

I don't ride now, and i will have to think hard before i get another bike.
I would be interested to see the death/injury rates for younger unrestrained riders vs say 50 year old and up riders.

Last edited:
I tuned into this one late and didn't read every single post, but really. I still ride a motorcycle. I did the entire time my wife was pregnant and our two kids grew up. I paid for both my kids to get their bike license and they both ride. My daughter is 17 and I think she has more miles on handlebars then a steering wheel. That said, I always wear a helmet, Always. I see alot of Dumb A's with kids, (My sisterinlaw with a 1 year old) go without one, that's stupid. I also have ALOT of life insurance. Everyone on my side of the family dies young of cancer. My dad at 51 and my mom at 56. Plus a few cousins in their late 40s. So I am well insured, for the cancer or the motorcycle. I would suggest you just get insurance and double accident coverage. Wear a helmet, dont drink and ride wheelies like you did at 18. Can't stress the helmet enough. That is just dumb. Saw a guy hit a deer, his head hit the asphalt and split like a cantaloupe. We were the first people on the scene. My son who was about 15 saw it. I never see him without a helmet on his bike. He is 19. I don't tell him what to do, he seen the results.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
I've always felt that, as the head of my household, I have a moral obligation to keep myself as healthy as possible. While it's impossible to insulate one's self against all the possible injuries, accidents or health maladies, it is possible to reduce that risk as much as possible.

Imagine a guy getting killed on a motorcycle, leaving behind a wife and 3 kids. Because of his irresponsible behavior, the wife has to deal with the heartache and financial issues, as well as the loss of her spouse. Depending upon insurance, she may have to file bankruptcy or lose/sell their home. All because her husband wanted to joy ride on a motorcycle.

The kids lose their father at a time in their lives when he is the most important person, and there is no one who can fill those shoes. And it's not as though it were for a reason beyond his control-it was simply because he was selfish and wanted to ride his motorcycle rather than drive a vehicle. Clearly their father felt that joy riding on a motorcycle was more important that being around to take care of them.

The moral question that a man has to ask himself; Is the devastation that my death would cause my family worth joyriding on a motorcycle? And a man has to ask himself if he is the type of person that is willing to put his family through that just to ride a motorcycle?

Do you drive a car? They're dangerous too. Or how about do you eat? Many foods are unhealthy. Do you drink water? A lot of it has contaminates. Do you work? Many jobs are dangerous. My point is, we can't live our lives in a protective bubble. Yes I ride motorcycles, but I also have $750K worth of life insurance. The money won't replace me if I die in a crash, but my wife will not have to worry about money either...I live my life in a way that keeps me happy...if that means I take certain risks, then so be it...

Riding with the unbelievably annoying blinking headlight and dayglo jacket in mental condition RED with evasive plan A and plan B constantly being updated in your mind as you roll down the road convinced every other driver is out to kill you somehow doesn't seem much fun or satisfying.

Unless you get home and say YES! CHEATED DEATH ONCE AGAIN, I FEEL SO ALIVE!!

Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

Do you drive a car? They're dangerous too. Or how about do you eat? Many foods are unhealthy. Do you drink water? A lot of it has contaminates. Do you work? Many jobs are dangerous. My point is, we can't live our lives in a protective bubble. Yes I ride motorcycles, but I also have $750K worth of life insurance. The money won't replace me if I die in a crash, but my wife will not have to worry about money either...I live my life in a way that keeps me happy...if that means I take certain risks, then so be it...

Grampi, I'm with you. Financially, my family will be very well taken care of if I die. And having lost friends in their early 40's to various cancers, I'm all about doing the things I love while I can. I respect someone deciding the risk of riding a motorcycle is too great for them, but I don't need to be judged as immoral just because I accept the risk. Surf, and a shark could kill you; fly a plane, mechanical failure could see it plummet from the sky; ski, and an avalanche could wipe you out...lots of bad stuff "could" happen anywhere, anytime.

Originally Posted By: hpb
Grampi, I'm with you. Financially, my family will be very well taken care of if I die. And having lost friends in their early 40's to various cancers, I'm all about doing the things I love while I can. I respect someone deciding the risk of riding a motorcycle is too great for them, but I don't need to be judged as immoral just because I accept the risk.

I think that's the OP's point entirely, and answered by your family being very well taken care of.

It's leaving them destitute (through whatever cause of death), while taking additional controllable risks that's at issue.

This just near here, they lose a few every year.

Teenagers testing their mortality is sad and tragic...married men with 3 kids a different kettle of fish entirely.

You can't have a mortgage without life insurance here....although I've spent many years on a bike with family while renting.

Yeah but, how will I survive if my wife dies before I do ? My life will be in danger with no one to clean up after me, my clothes will stink, there will be no food in house, I'll spend all my time in the shed fixing bikes and forget to go to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back