Dirt bikes for our Grandsons

My wife and I have twin grandsons that will be three in a few months and we just bought a pair of Razor MX350s for them to get an introduction into motorbiking. The twins live in Florida and we will take the Razors down there for their birthday. For those of you who aren't familiar with these bikes, the twist throttle is only on/off so I found a source for variable throttles and I have ordered them.

But they are growing fast and in a couple of years they'll be ready for real mini bikes so I just bought a 2001 Honda XR50 for sale locally. It has been modified with XR70 components for the seller's growing son but he included the original swingarm, handlebars and rear shock. This bike will stay here with us in Vermont and the boys can ride it in a year or two when they visit. I'm also on the lookout for another Honda. :D
1708009682074.jpg

Last edited:
Very cool. How many CC's? I assume these are gas-n-go, single speed?

Years ago I mail ordered my kids a 110cc quad Chonda special. It was really neat and that honda knock-off 110cc was awesome. I kept it a few years and sold it.

Awesome! Dirt bikes are the best way to learn. At that age they can fall in the dirt and not get hurt. They will learn valuable skills that will translate onto the road someday if they end up riding street bikes.
I learned on dirt bikes and I am convinced it has saved my skin on a couple occasions on the street.

Perfect activity for a young boy all the way to manhood - builds strength, stamina, balance.

It also builds all important self esteem in learning what you are capable of. Dirt bikes are often a youngsters first taste of freedom if only in a limited off-road way.

A++ move Ausfarht.

Very cool. How many CC's? I assume these are gas-n-go, single speed?

Years ago I mail ordered my kids a 110cc quad Chonda special. It was really neat and that honda knock-off 110cc was awesome. I kept it a few years and sold it.
The Honda is 50cc and nearly bullet proof and it has a clutchless 3 speed transmission.

• Love
Reactions: JTK
My wife and I have twin grandsons that will be three in a few months and we just bought a pair of Razor MX350s for them to get an introduction into motorbiking. The twins live in Florida and we will take the Razors down there for their birthday. For those of you who aren't familiar with these bikes, the twist throttle is only on/off so I found a source for variable throttles and I have ordered them.

But they are growing fast and in a couple of years they'll be ready for real mini bikes so I just bought a 2001 Honda XR50 for sale locally. It has been modified with XR70 components for the seller's growing son but he included the original swingarm, handlebars and rear shock. This bike will stay here with us in Vermont and the boys can ride it in a year or two when they visit. I'm also on the lookout for another Honda. :D
View attachment 203656
My grandsons, 15 and 14, have these Motor Scooters (with 50cc engines, don't recall the brand) in which they ride around town. Those engines are much more powerful than in the Honda bikes I bought for my two kids in the 70's.

I grew up with little dirt bikes. 50cc, 70cc, 90cc Honda's, and larger/motocross bikes when I got older. What a blast they were!!!!!!

I guess this small sized bike is now called a "pit bike". As always, the name brands are best.

I’m curious what the 50 set you back. Here, everyone thinks a 15 year old one is worth $2k and you can get a new one for that. I’m contemplating getting my 4 year old son one in the near future.

I’m curious what the 50 set you back. Here, everyone thinks a 15 year old one is worth $2k and you can get a new one for that. I’m contemplating getting my 4 year old son one in the near future.
It runs good but it's not perfect. The bike has a leaky fuel line and I'll probably replace the throttle cable too and it will need new tires in a year or so but I'm happy with my $750 purchase.

I'm glad I found one before spring because prices tend to rise around here with the temperature.

Incidentally, I received the Razors yesterday. Ebay is running a Presidents Day promotion until tomorrow I think and you can get 20% off when using the code PRESIDENT20. The pair of e-bikes came to a total of $412.78 shipped and I just couldn't resist that. I consider them basically throw-away bikes just for the boys to play with until they are ready for the Hondas.
1708180829496.jpg

Changing the on/off throttle on the e-bikes turned out to be a little more expensive and complicated than anticipated. The first variable throttles that I ordered didn't work so I sent them back and had to order new throttles and new controllers. They are nice though. Here is a shot of the new throttle next to the old one. The new variable throttles include a battery charge level indicator and a keyed lockout that replaces a simple on/off toggle on the faux gas tank. Mom really likes the key lockout feature.:D
1709835029638.jpg

Changing the on/off throttle on the e-bikes turned out to be a little more expensive and complicated than anticipated. The first variable throttles that I ordered didn't work so I sent them back and had to order new throttles and new controllers. They are nice though. Here is a shot of the new throttle next to the old one. The new variable throttles include a battery charge level indicator and a keyed lockout that replaces a simple on/off toggle on the faux gas tank. Mom really likes the key lockout feature.:D
View attachment 207064
Why would they only have on off switches vs a variable throttle? Seems a little odd

Why would they only have on off switches vs a variable throttle? Seems a little odd
Yeah, I was disappointed. From what I could gather, earlier versions had variable throttle and my only guess is that they took the cheap route.

Yeah, I was disappointed. From what I could gather, earlier versions had variable throttle and my only guess is that they took the cheap route.

This really blows chunks.
Without variable control you cant really build skill.
Im bummed alongside you.

Back