MC FL-820S C&P Coming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
The Ford techs I know back in FL remove them with a 1/2" impact and NEVER break ANY!

^^^ this is all that he needs to do. Plenty of YouTube videos using this method with no broken plugs. All he needs to do is install the improved plugs and that will no longer be a problem after this first change.

2015_PSD, you are 100% correct! I have watched my Ford tech friends do this. The very first time I saw it done I told my Ford tech buddy,"You must be out of your rabid mind!"
He ran the truck to operating temperature, cut it off, sprayed each plug well with Ford carb. cleaner, and let 'er rip with the impact! Those plugs were screeching and creeking so bad and loud it sounded like someone was hitting the wall with a sack full of cats! (I am a cat lover and WOULD NEVER harm ANY cats!) But, you get the point of how bad it sounded removing the plugs!
Ford uses anti-seize on the ends of the SAME type of plug upon installation. SMH!
Anyway, I have been staying at my g/f's house lately to try and stay off of my leg. I have not been to my apt. to get my Dremel to cut the oil filter open. She has a Dremel and I will see if she has the cutting wheels. If not I will just go get mine and cut it open tomorrow.
thumbsup2.gif
34.gif

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Originally Posted By: FastLane
2004 should be a 2V still. At least they were in the Mustangs.

If it had the 4.6L it would be the 2V, but the new body style '04 trucks with the 5.4L got the 3V engine.

Correct, but (and I know it isn't but I'm just saying for the sake of it) the Heritage edition '04 F-150 had the 2V 5.4L Triton.

But yeah, the OP's truck being the new gen body will have the 3V 5.4L.

~ Triton

Ford uses anti-seize on the ends of the SAME type of plug upon installation. SMH!

I'd think some anti-sieze on the threads would be a good thing.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Z06, I agree with you.
No offense towards you, but, you must not know very much about the spark plugs in the Ford F150 04-mid year 09's 5.4 3valve engine. Do a Google search and you will understand my original response about the Ford techs putting anti-seize on the ends of the plugs. Actually, they mostly put it on the shells.

Z06, I agree with you.
No offense towards you, but, you must not know very much about the spark plugs in the Ford F150 04-mid year 09's 5.4 3valve engine. Do a Google search and you will understand my original response about the Ford techs putting anti-seize on the ends of the plugs. Actually, they mostly put it on the shells.

How about you just fill up in - I'm sure I'm not the only one who doesn't know all the details of the Ford spark plug fiasco. If they just put anti-seize on the the shells, then what good is that going to do? I'm betting if the plugs had the appropriate anti-seize on the threads they would never seize in the holes and could easily be removed at any time.

Z06, I agree with you.

How about you just fill up in - I'm sure I'm not the only one who doesn't know all the details of the Ford spark plug fiasco. If they just put anti-seize on the the shells, then what good is that going to do? I'm betting if the plugs had the appropriate anti-seize on the threads they would never seize in the holes and could easily be removed at any time.

I don't think anti seize was the issue. It was the plug design or the head design I think. Anti seize can't fix bad engineering.

Originally Posted By: jhellwig

I don't think anti seize was the issue. It was the plug design or the head design I think. Anti seize can't fix bad engineering.

From the sounds of it, the threads were dry and trying to lock-up upon removal ... not wonder they plugs broke off.

I always use anti-seize on spark plugs and torque to specs, and have never had any problems removing them 10 years later.

The very first time I saw it done I told my Ford tech buddy,"You must be out of your rabid mind!". He ran the truck to operating temperature, cut it off, sprayed each plug well with Ford carb. cleaner, and let 'er rip with the impact! Those plugs were screeching and creeking so bad and loud it sounded like someone was hitting the wall with a sack full of cats! (I am a cat lover and WOULD NEVER harm ANY cats!) But, you get the point of how bad it sounded removing the plugs!

Originally Posted By: jhellwig

From the sounds of it, the threads were dry and trying to lock-up upon removal ... not wonder they plugs broke off.

I always use anti-seize on spark plugs and torque to specs, and have never had any problems removing them 10 years later.

The very first time I saw it done I told my Ford tech buddy,"You must be out of your rabid mind!". He ran the truck to operating temperature, cut it off, sprayed each plug well with Ford carb. cleaner, and let 'er rip with the impact! Those plugs were screeching and creeking so bad and loud it sounded like someone was hitting the wall with a sack full of cats! (I am a cat lover and WOULD NEVER harm ANY cats!) But, you get the point of how bad it sounded removing the plugs!

Yes but it wasn't lack of anti seize that caused it.

I think the v10 and v8 fords on the superdutys had the opposite problem and would blow the plug out of the head and have to have a special tool to fix it.

Last edited:
https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-sett...suits-for-2-2m/

https://youtu.be/XOVhhkC3A2c

http://www.f150forum.com/f4/5-4l-3v-spark-plugs-engine-build-dates-before-10-09-07-a-56871/

https://www.google.com/search?q=ford+f15...KHUTTAGUQsAQIMg

Z06, read, watch the videos, and/or look at the pics. But, if you read the original reason behind putting anti-seize on the shells, you will then understand. I am somewhat a Christian person, but after changing these plugs on several of the 5.4 3 valve engines...........well, you can figure it out!
grin.gif

If you look at the design of the plugs in these motors, you'd understand why the issue isn't all about antisieze on the threads. These plugs have a tendency to carbon up on the long extension after the threads. Thus the antisieze in that location being the issue, not the threads.

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
If you look at the design of the plugs in these motors, you'd understand why the issue isn't all about antisieze on the threads. These plugs have a tendency to carbon up on the long extension after the threads. Thus the antisieze in that location being the issue, not the threads.

The anti-seize is the fix for the removal of these plugs in the future. When the shell is coated with anti-seize, in theory, it is supposed to prevent carbon from buiding up on the plug shell, thus, making it easier to remove without breaking.
I am wore out from explaining this plug debacle everywhere or anytime it is brought up. That's why I posted so many links in response to Z06's inquiry, so that members could click onto one or all of the provided links and get educated.
thankyou2.gif

I am very sorry I have not cut this filter open yet. One of my pain management dr's. changed my medicine this past Monday and I am having a hard time staying focused on everyday responsibilities around the house. My g/f went to my apt. this AM to get my Dremel for me. Hopefully I can C&P this filter before the weekend is over.
To be continued..............
frown.gif

I am very sorry I have not cut this filter open yet. One of my pain management dr's. changed my medicine this past Monday and I am having a hard time staying focused on everyday responsibilities around the house. My g/f went to my apt. this AM to get my Dremel for me. Hopefully I can C&P this filter before the weekend is over.
To be continued..............
frown.gif

If she was a good g/f she would cut it for you and post the pics on here....
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back