09 Lexus RX350 with 26k miles

Through good fortune, my daughter is buying this suv. The owner died and his wife kept it in the garage for sentimental reasons. It was driven occasionally by the son. They have been trying to get mom to sell the car she doesn’t use and finally were successful. They recently put new tires on it. It looks new.
What should I be checking or looking out for in this car?

Through good fortune, my daughter is buying this suv. The owner died and his wife kept it in the garage for sentimental reasons. It was driven occasionally by the son. They have been trying to get mom to sell the car she doesn’t use and finally were successful. They recently put new tires on it. It looks new.
What should I be checking or looking out for in this car?

I would probably replace the coolant with Toyota pink and verify the hoses are in good shape. Maybe consider replacing the serpentine belt. I don't know, just drive it and enjoy. It sounds like a nice find.

Brake Fluid, Oil, and coolant in that order.

Tires were already taken car of but brake fluid will just absorb moisture as it sits. A complete flush at any shop also gives them an excuse to check everything else out in the wheel wells.

2GR-FE from 2009 will need the oil cooler pipe done, if present. (Cooler was a part of the tow prep package. My gut is that most RX got it.) $85 in parts from your dealer. Do it before it lets go and wastes the motor. I did our 2009 Venza a few months ago. The Venza is more challenging than the RX. Just replace the two studs on the oil housing connections with bolts. (M6?)

Keep an eye on the front timing cover oil leak. Wipe things up, but don't feel like you need to fix it.

Keep an eye out for water pump leaks. It'll be dried up pink crust coolant residue down the front cover.

Do replace the hatch lift struts if the hatch is not neutrally buoyant. On these, the struts will fade which over-works that lift motor. Then the motor burns up. Much more expensive than struts.

2009 is going to be the 5 speed transaxle. Trans fluid. Brake fluid. Power steering fluid. Coolant drain and fill (drain the block using the rear block petcock as well as the radiator.) Belt? Wipers? Rear transaxle if AWD? Enjoy the fifteen year old new car. Nice find. Call me if you want to sell.

EDIT - protect the dash from the sun. They tend to crack, a real eyesore on an otherwise nice vehicle.

Last edited:
Check if it's covered, mine was and Toyota paid for the replacement.
I looked before I did ours. I think coverage was 10 years past part phaseout, which was mid 2010.

It was $85 for the kit from the dealer and took me three hours on a harder to access vehicle, including the trip to the store to get appropriate bolts rather than re-using the studs. You'll need the right e-torx socket for stud removal as well as a good assortment of extensions and a swivel. The worst bolt had to be done with 1/4" extensions because 3/8" wouldn't fit into the area. Four out of six were accessible with a box end wrench.

Last edited:
Well, need to check that oil cooler. Some does not have it.
I have a 2010 RX350 that ended up not having that oil cooler at all but I suspect, they put the updated version in 2010 if it has it.
Probably not updated in 2009.

Who knows, they may have changed it already.

That is a good car. Keep driving it hard to get all the oil flowing again.
Cars will break down as much when hardly driven.

Thanks everyone. I read about the oil cooler pipes. It is AWD but no trailer hitch so would it still have this cooler system?
Is the engine transverse mounted on AWD?
2GR-FE from 2009 will need the oil cooler pipe done, if present. (Cooler was a part of the tow prep package. My gut is that most RX got it.) $85 in parts from your dealer. Do it before it lets go and wastes the motor. I did our 2009 Venza a few months ago. The Venza is more challenging than the RX. Just replace the two studs on the oil housing connections with bolts. (M6?)

Keep an eye on the front timing cover oil leak. Wipe things up, but don't feel like you need to fix it.

Keep an eye out for water pump leaks. It'll be dried up pink crust coolant residue down the front cover.

Do replace the hatch lift struts if the hatch is not neutrally buoyant. On these, the struts will fade which over-works that lift motor. Then the motor burns up. Much more expensive than struts.

2009 is going to be the 5 speed transaxle. Trans fluid. Brake fluid. Power steering fluid. Coolant drain and fill (drain the block using the rear block petcock as well as the radiator.) Belt? Wipers? Rear transaxle if AWD? Enjoy the fifteen year old new car. Nice find. Call me if you want to sell.

EDIT - protect the dash from the sun. They tend to crack, a real eyesore on an otherwise nice vehicle.
Good info....thanks.

At that age lubricate the brake slider pins. Engine and cabin air filters are probably due, too.

There is also another oil line for the rear bank VVT system. My 08 Highlander has a rubber hose between it and that could be a fail point. Also there was a recall in that I believe.

Brake Fluid, Oil, and coolant in that order.

Tires were already taken car of but brake fluid will just absorb moisture as it sits. A complete flush at any shop also gives them an excuse to check everything else out in the wheel wells.
Oil, brake fluid, air, cabin, oil filters, coolant, battery, brakes spark plugs, trans fluid, differential fluid and any and all items that need repaired. Have the car detailed, or do it yourself... but spend 16 hours on it. This car is capable of 300,000 miles and more with regular oil changes and maintenance. There are a few possible failure points generally associated with cars that are not maintained well, but nothing to worry about. To my thinking, that car still looks current and is an incredible find. Good luck.

A low mileage 15 year old car isn't much different than one with 200K. I wouldn't get too excited about it, but maybe that's just me.
If its been garaged, the interior should be in very good
condition, if not almost new in appearance. Same with exterior trim parts.

After taking a few older vehicles to higher mileages, its usually not the condition of the drivetrain components that tells on the age. Its the unobtanium seat material or cushion after 200k of seat time, or that piece of plastic moulding on the door that someone scraped in the parking lot that is NLA.

If its been garaged, the interior should be in very good
condition, if not almost new in appearance. Same with exterior trim parts.

After taking a few older vehicles to higher mileages, its usually not the condition of the drivetrain components that tells on the age. Its the unobtanium seat material or cushion after 200k of seat time, or that piece of plastic moulding on the door that someone scraped in the parking lot that is NLA.
The interior may be in good condition, but all of the rubber bits (seals, gaskets, suspension parts) will all be deteriorating from age. Parts will slowly become unobtanium.

I personally think they’re terrible buys.

Back