09 Lexus RX350 with 26k miles

Turn HVAC system and ensure no funky smells. My parents rarely used 2000 Tundra has 100k(my sister did first 80k till 2008 the they bought it. Sold last year and no matter what next owner did including replacing bits of HVAC the smell urine every time heat or AC used so he dumped it.

I’d get an estimate for full fluid replacement if not done recently (doub it) and inspection of all belts etc . Then figure out if $13k + $xxxxx is worth it to her .

Thanks everyone. I read about the oil cooler pipes. It is AWD but no trailer hitch so would it still have this cooler system?
Is the engine transverse mounted on AWD?

Good info....thanks.
Yes, engine transverse on AWD. The extra differential was mounted below/behind the engine. It's a full time AWD system on that generation. No clutching in or out. Always engaged to all wheels, uses brakes to limit spin.

The "trailer prep package" on that era of toyotas was mostly cooling bits (bigger fan, bigger radiator, oil cooler, and second trans cooler) and a bigger alternator. It did not include hitch or wiring. Toyota's strategy was to sprinkle enough "tow prep" cars into the market that if a customer wanted to tow, the dealer could find one and add the hitch. The 2gr-fe oil cooler was impractical to add later due to the different upper oil pan.
There is also another oil line for the rear bank VVT system. My 08 Highlander has a rubber hose between it and that could be a fail point. Also there was a recall in that I believe.
By 09 the OP should be safe, but doesn't hurt to check.

Our 2009 Venza has been garage kept, and "low miles" for being 15 years old at 90k. Despite the downers in this thread, our rubber bits and trim are in great shape. I have no concerns about parts availability for a 2009 toyota within the next 10 years. I don't know that I'd give $13k for one, but it could be a very respectable automobile, expecially if your daughter plans to put a bunch of miles on it. Granted, the 2009 venza is a generation newer than a 2009 RX or Highlander would be.

Yes, engine transverse on AWD. The extra differential was mounted below/behind the engine. It's a full time AWD system on that generation. No clutching in or out. Always engaged to all wheels, uses brakes to limit spin.

The "trailer prep package" on that era of toyotas was mostly cooling bits (bigger fan, bigger radiator, oil cooler, and second trans cooler) and a bigger alternator. It did not include hitch or wiring. Toyota's strategy was to sprinkle enough "tow prep" cars into the market that if a customer wanted to tow, the dealer could find one and add the hitch. The 2gr-fe oil cooler was impractical to add later due to the different upper oil pan.

By 09 the OP should be safe, but doesn't hurt to check.

Our 2009 Venza has been garage kept, and "low miles" for being 15 years old at 90k. Despite the downers in this thread, our rubber bits and trim are in great shape. I have no concerns about parts availability for a 2009 toyota within the next 10 years. I don't know that I'd give $13k for one, but it could be a very respectable automobile, expecially if your daughter plans to put a bunch of miles on it. Granted, the 2009 venza is a generation newer than a 2009 RX or Highlander would be.
Thanks for the info. She will keep it a long time and take care of it. Her current Mercedes ML has over 280k and still runs good. Lots of little stuff starting to go bad. Temp control door etc. It's a 99.

1712376909445.jpeg

For your daughter’s sake, I really hope it won’t need cam gears. That isn’t uncommon on the pre-2010 era 2GR engines.

Congrats. Is this a sludge-prone Toyota v6? If so watch that.

I’d want to baseline oil, coolant, brake fluid, belts, filters, etc. in time.

She and I like to service our vehicles so we will get everything changed.

Looks a million dollars, enjoy it
But inspect the VVT oil hoses carefully, there was a LSC that ran till 2021

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2014/MC-10109599-9999.pdf

Check your VIN range, or the service history on the Lexus owners website
If it hasn't been done, have it done ASAP

Much like my Camry, they "recommend" 91 octane for best performance
If you don't like the performance or drivability on regular, bump it up
1000010664.jpg

Well she bought it and drove it back east from Denver. Turns out it had 21k on it. It’s loaded. I haven’t seen it yet but will check it out and look for these items. Thanks everyone.
CO vehicle has its advantages due to dry climate. But, some challenges. I would replace all coolant hoses and serpentine belt. Luckily car was garaged as sun is unforgiving here.

Back