Real Motorcycle Dealers vs. "Power Sports" Dealers

Status
Not open for further replies.
So glad I bought both my previous bike as well as my current one from a genuine motorcycle dealer instead of one of the power sports joints. You know the places. Yeah, they sell bikes. But also ATV's, side by sides, personal watercraft.... one such dealer here also proudly displays a lineup of zero turn mowers out front along with the ATV's and bikes. Yeah, that's the shop I want working on my motorcycle.

But you're a bitoger you say, you should be doing your own work. True for routine maintenance, not true for warranty repairs.

You can say what you want about Harley Davidson, but this is yet another thing they do right. Much higher likelihood of expertise residing there than at the bike, lawn mower, and seadoo shop across town. Next up are other brand motorcycle only dealers, they might handle several brands but they only handle motorcycles. Much higher likelihood of expertise residing there as well.

I think it's about a place having a passion for riding or, dare I say, the lifestyle of motorcycling.

I thought Harley sold apparel and the bikes were loss leaders?

smile.gif

So...the mechanic that only works on one type of Motorcycle engine is better? I don't think I would want a Harley (only) mechanic working on the Ducati in your Sig. Just saying you have to look at both sides.

Originally Posted By: LotI
I thought Harley sold apparel and the bikes were loss leaders?

smile.gif

That's true
lol.gif
. A garden tractor mechanic would be right at home working at HD dealer., it sounds like a perfect fit.

Originally Posted By: InhalingBullets
So...the mechanic that only works on one type of Motorcycle engine is better? I don't think I would want a Harley (only) mechanic working on the Ducati in your Sig. Just saying you have to look at both sides.

Actually not what I meant though. Where I bought the Duc, they also sell KTM, MV Augusta, and Triumph. They have Suzuki V-Strom on the floor as well, but didn't notice other Suzuki models, for instance, no Hayabusa on display. They service all brands they sell. But they are a motorcycle shop, and don't sell mules and zero turns. Master tech builds up race bikes. That kind of stuff.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger

Originally Posted By: InhalingBullets

Actually not what I meant though. Where I bought the Duc, they also sell KTM, MV Augusta, and Triumph. They have Suzuki V-Strom on the floor as well, but didn't notice other Suzuki models, for instance, no Hayabusa on display. They service all brands they sell. But they are a motorcycle shop, and don't sell mules and zero turns. Master tech builds up race bikes. That kind of stuff.
The best BMW shop in my area also sells everything Honda, except cars. Never had a service issue with them.

I fail to see the problem. You are only interested in them doing warranty work, and I would assume if they are an official dealer for the different brands that they are certified to do that warranty work.

All the local motorcycle dealers carry a few other things atleast, their brands ATV's for sure, and either honda or yamaha generators. In some shops it might be the motorcycle mechanics that do it all, or maybe they have a guy that does all the OPE.

I see more places carry everything but motorcycles though, right from tractors to weed wackers. Given the prices for some of the side by side ATV's, they are hard to resist.

A lot of the dealers who previously sold only ATVs and dirt bikes around here now sell motorcycles and side by sides. The reason for this is there aren't any legal places to ride ATVs in CT anymore.

Your local motorcycle dealer is nearing extinction. They used to make a lot of their profit on the sale of parts and most of that has been lost to the internet.

If you want to ride a motorcycle then you better learn how to wrench on one because the younger generation now joining the work force thinks that turning a wrench for a living is beneath them.

Harley dealers aren't as bad but just try having your dad's old AMF shovel serviced at your local HD dealer.

I have found most dealerships, not unlike car dealerships, tend to complicate things when it comes to service or repairs. If you have deep pockets and literally no basic mechanical knowledge they work well. I have noticed they are all too happy to replace everything and salvage very little to be considered re-usable. Example would be bad coil pack, they all need replaced, bad caliper, they all need replaced, bad tire, they should all be replaced, alignment checked, and while it's up there we can refer back to brakes, tie-rods etc. Replace.

Also dealerships will sell you factory parts, which I actually like to keep all my bikes and ATVs stock, but dealerships will charge you exuberate prices. They really did themselves in, in this regard. They could just as easily sell online too or charge a small mark up, but They really get greedy. I see this more in lawn and small engine repair places. They are insane.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Are side by sides legal to ride instead of ATVs there?

Those things are crazy popular now

Here it was the opposite for a while, some municipalities allowed ATV's on some roads, but not side by sides. Now both are allowed and only dirt bikes are excluded for some reason.

The one time I brought it to a dealer (recall), the dude that brought it into the shop did not realize that it would not start unless the side stand was up AND he pulled one of the brakes. (This did NOT make me feel warm and fuzzy inside...)

It's a dealer that sells Suzuki and Honda bikes (street and dirt), quads, and side-by-sides.

As far as the dealerships losing parts sales to the internet, some of the more successful ones actually have a significant online presence in their markets.

Some bikes are more conducive to being worked on DIY than others. Oil change and final driveline maintenance is about it for DIY on newer Ducati's unless you possess some relatively good patience, skills and knowledge of the breed, tools, and no one is nearby who is easily offended by profanity. I knew this going in on my last Duc, though. That one hooked me so here I am... replaced it with another.

A bike-only dealer is a wonderful proposition if you live in a climate which allows one to ride year-round. Up here in Canada, this is not our reality (we have this annual happening we refer to as winter), so most dealers have to rely on other product lines to survive (notably snowmobiles). The only ones to escape that reality are, in most cases, Harley dealers, which is great if you want a Harley... I (and many others) don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back