Anyone here brand loyal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was. 15 years ago. Since I mostly drove Alfa Romeo's or Lancia's, Selenia was THE OIL. Quite expensive. These days I prefer Shell, best buy here IMO.

You know I'm not brand loyal, car51.
grin.gif
But I'm a Pennzoil fan...

I just stick to know brands.

Castrol, Mobil, Shell and Valvoline are all brands I have used fairly frequently.

Have probably used Mobil more often than any other brand though.

Beanson304: yeah, your sig has 3 fords on PP
smile.gif
. I'd go PP in all the vehicles as its easier to remember
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Im not brand loyal at all. I use different oils all the time depending on what i feel like using/what is on sale.

If nothing is on sale I would gravitate toward Valvoline or Mobil.

I've also had many different brands of vehicles. Much like oil they are all similar in quality IMO.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Im not brand loyal at all. I use different oils all the time depending on what i feel like using/what is on sale.

If nothing is on sale I would gravitate toward Valvoline or Mobil.

I've also had many different brands of vehicles. Much like oil they are all similar in quality IMO.

+1. Loyal to the deals. Except if no sales/deals, I gravitate towards Havoline and QS.

Originally Posted By: car51
Beanson304: yeah, your sig has 3 fords on PP
smile.gif
. I'd go PP in all the vehicles as its easier to remember
smile.gif

I probably will eventually. But I have some MaxLife to use up first.
cool.gif

I used to be but now I use whatever name brand stuff is on sale. If the name brand stuff is priced high, I use ST oil. WM just had 5w30 for $8 a gallon and I bought several. I realized I worried too much about things that really didn't matter. I'm more likely to get shot at than suffer an oil related failure.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Originally Posted By: Bud_One
Sort of - Prior to BITOG - I was really partial to Castrol GTX , mostly due to their 80's commercials
grin.gif

this one especially
https://youtu.be/QVzpjOOlJwg

Man, that commercial was ALWAYS on TV wasn't it!

This is why my father used Castrol for many of his cars. He had many compact cars at a time when larger cars were more common in the USA.
He used Castrol GTX 20w50 in a 1987 Hyundai Excel and got over 110,000 miles out of it, and when he traded it in, every mechanic at the dealer had to see it for themselves. Nobody else drove an early Hyundai Excel for that kind of distance.

He used whatever Castrol GTX grade was needed in other cars until he decided to use full synthetic in everything. Then he used M1 most of the time.

I'd say that I am brand loyal to Mobil 1 oils. It's for 3 reasons:

First, they were the first (that I noticed anyways) to have the guts to come out with an oil that they said was good for 15,000 miles without hedging. So, I use 5w30 EP in all my cars.

Second, I really liked Pennzoil Ultra, but SOPUS so bungled the marketing of that oil that it became not worth the effort or expense to use it.

Third, my latest car requires dexos1 oil. Since Mobil's bottom of the line synthetic meets dexos1 requirements, I know that M1 5w30 EP is going to meet the dexos1 specifications with a crazy amount of margin.

I'm also brand loyal to Microgreen oil filters, provided I can get them during a half price sale. That way, I get a premium 2 micron filter for the price of an M1 or a Fram Ultra filter. I figure the better filtering can't hurt. However, I change both the filter and the oil at 10k miles on my two older cars, and according to the OLM on my Chevy Volt.

I was as you can see from an earlier post I used Valvoline for the last 30 years just because a mechanic I knew used it.

Thanks to BITOG I'm jumping on the what ever is on sale/rebate wagon since I use conventional, if I used synthetic it may be a different story.

I'm value loyal. If someone were to sell me some redline/amzoil/etc for cheaper than mobil or pennzoil then I'd run it.

Otherwise I look at value. I'll run my $1 a quart mobil 1 extended performance 0w20 before I think about ordering a boutique oil.

If you throw out a couple of scam artist oils, all of the rest are pretty similar. For some unknown reason, I still feel that M1 is one of the best out there, but have absolutely no evidence to back it up. On my tractors, that have hydrostats that take some work to change, I only trust them to M1 15w50. Aside from that, I use ST, Mag1, AZ, Oreilly's, AA, RK, Traveller's plus all the major brands, pretty much interchangably. I just don't see any major differences in brand. I do tend to stick w/ syn in all three cars, not based on any need, but that it's usually only a few dollars more than conventional.
Just to show I'm serious, my 2008 PT Cruiser has 5w30 QSUD in it now, my 2013 Altima has RK 0w20 syn ($2.59@qt, hard to beat), and my 2010 Tacoma has PPPP 5w20.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back