new bmw 10w60 turbo oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bobbydavro

I didn't say credentials was the only thing to judge an oil on. However why was it superb?

There is no group III in current 10W-60 either.

You stated TWS had "no ACEA credentials" as a downside of it - indeed its not, it's a virtue for a race oil. You said in critical context that TWS was "only API SJ" - in this case only more virue to be found...
And yes - there's group 3 in current Castrol 10W-60, and not even near the amount of esters TWS had. For me this means much. At the end of the day you can use the oil you want, it's up to you.

Last edited:
Right so an oil needs esters but doesn't need to pass tests developed by the industry to be good?

I don't 'use' oil
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Thebimmerfan
And yes - there's group 3 in current Castrol 10W-60, and not even near the amount of esters TWS had

How do you know this? Genuine question, not an argument.

Right so an oil needs esters but doesn't need to pass tests developed by the industry to be good?

I don't 'use' oil
smile.gif

I guess Castrol Edge Sport 10W-60 didn't pass some "tests developed by the industry" if it wasn't approved for BMW M Power engines, and TWS was the official M Power Oil for years...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Thebimmerfan

I don't 'use' oil
smile.gif

Yeah, that's obvious...

I think they are implying that they formulate oils.

I've been buying Castrol 10W-60 from Amazon.

$10/quart shipped can't be beat.

I'm sure the Shell product in the BMW bottle is great, just like the Castrol product it replaced.

I'm just staying with the Castrol in my son's car since that is all that has ever been in there.

40% savings over the dealer is certainly a plus too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back