Napa 7045 cut 5000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.

5000 mile on a 2013 Chevy traverse with the 3.6l di engine with 70k on it. Used valvoline max life 5w30 synthetic.

Replace with a fram tg10575.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: robo339
Is that seam separated?

Looks that way in the first photo ... left side of the pleat.

It looks like it is but doesn't seam to be when I try to poke a small screwdriver in it.

I need to go cut the other 7045 I have off this car and see if it looks the same. This thing must be kinda hard on the filters.

This should have been a piece of cake for this oil, filter and only 5000 miles. Standard WIX and NAPA Golds usually don't have this many wavy pleats.
Did you have to add make up oil? How much?

In normal operation, the PCV system vents crankcase gases into a port on the intake manifold. The inlet air is first filtered by the air cleaner and routed to the opposite valve cover from the PCV valve. If there is a loose or leaky hose in the PCV system, the unfiltered air can be ingested through the leak into the crank case. The oil filter has to contain the dirt from all the sources.

Even though this is a relatively new engine, I would inspect all the PCV hoses / piping for leaks. It would not take much of a leak to allow dirt into the crankcase. The PCV valve may need to be replaced also.

Good luck with the detective work.

Originally Posted By: jhellwig
The pcv system is fine. It is a di engine. They are hard on oil.

There's no such thing as a 'fine' PCV system! Reduced displacement and increased knock sensitivity and accelerated inlet tract pollution are never ''fine'.

.... It is a di engine. They are hard on oil.

As you've mentioned this before, and shown some other post use filter examples, I suspect it is a contributing factor to the wave appearance here.

I'm wondering if you did a UOA how the fuel % would look. Fuel dilution would tend to be tougher on media. And it is more common with DI engines.

Thanks for pics.

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
Quote:
It is a di engine. They are hard on oil.

Why is di hard on oil?

DI engines run with a leaner mixture and the piston tops and cylinder heads are running hotter. To compensate the engine designers provide additional jets on the bottom side of the pistons to cool them better. Flowing oil through jets is hard on the oil.

The GM LLT 3.6L DI engines have been noted for cam chain issues. The cam is heavily loaded and thus hard on oil.

I think this series of motors is begging for a more stout oil. But the OP needs to preserve the remaining warranty.

An oil cooler would help.

considering the relatively short OCI/FCI on this filter, I'd say it held up pretty poorly. That thing is ugly. Seems to be something with a more robust media would be a good idea in this engine.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
.... It is a di engine. They are hard on oil.

As you've mentioned this before, and shown some other post use filter examples, I suspect it is a contributing factor to the wave appearance here.

I'm wondering if you did a UOA how the fuel % would look. Fuel dilution would tend to be tougher on media. And it is more common with DI engines.

Thanks for pics.

I have posted a uoa on this vehicle. The fuel dilution wasn't bad but the viscosity was lower than it should be. That is why I use a quart or two of 10w30.

Yeah I just ran out of Valvoline 5w30 in my stash and went to the Mobil 1 I have. I plan on doing a uoa after the next oil change. I only have 5w30 Mobil 1 so it might be low on viscosity again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back