I hate recycling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been tempted to start dumping waste oil into a $5 Lowes 5 gallon bucket. Rather than filling empty containers and cleaning the outside and a funnel, etc. Fill up a few of those and then make the trip.

140km round trip? I drive farther than that every day, just for work.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: hatt
Originally Posted By: Farmer
Originally Posted By: hatt
Did the place you bought it have recycling? That's where I'd take it.

Nope, WM in Canada doesn't take oil. Truck parts store doesnt either. John Deere does, but that's a 140KM round trip.
Buy all your fluids at JD. Just make a trip every few months. Their customer service should be rewarded.

That will make me poor very quickly. They charge way too much for their fluids which aren't the greatest for the PCMO crowd. The only oil I buy from them is their hydraulic oil as I own about 10 of their machines.

You might have to do what I try to do - get rid of a bit at a time. I leave it too long and then wind up with a stash of used oil. You go through a lot more than I do these days!

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Does WalMart take oil?

I have 60 quarts at my parents' house that I need to get rid of
Yep that's where I take mine.....but yes, they have a limit too....5 gallons per day only....they told ME it's an EPA "limit" for some reason....they didn't have an explanation....but as many auto zones, advanced auto, bennett auto, car quest, and napa auto parts around my City (I count at least 6 in my head....yes....about 15 mile radius!) I don't see a big deal....drop 5 gallons here, 5 gallons here, etc....

I think the 5-gal limit is a DOT thing that most states have. If you haul more than 5-gal of waste oil a stricter set of rules apply. The recycling places have had this rule to comply with DOT for so long that the 5-gal rule is now accepted without question.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
I think the 5-gal limit is a DOT thing that most states have. If you haul more than 5-gal of waste oil a stricter set of rules apply. The recycling places have had this rule to comply with DOT for so long that the 5-gal rule is now accepted without question.

The oil they take will go into a large container. Probably a tote tank.

The receivers just want to keep their cost down, that's why they place a limit on it. If it didn't cost them to get ride of it, or if they were paid for the oil, they obviously wouldn't put a limit on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back