Daily driver?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would your daily driver be like if there were no government regulations associated with any vehicles licensed to be driven on the street for day to day transportation?

Something early-90s ish and about 2300 lbs. Corolla shaped.

Hate the big A-pillars. A corolla can roll over without killing ya.

No stability control or any of that junk.

No TPMS

We'd probably all be driving cars with no seat belts, efi, abs, airbags etc.

My DD would probably be the same though:

[censored] DUIs!
mad.gif

1992 Audi S4
Audi RR6 Avant V10 TT
R33 OR R34 GT-R
Or any fun fast yet practical ride

Last edited:
Camaro, Chevelle, Gto Judge. Without high fuel costs Id be rollin with BBC or 455 power all day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
What would your daily driver be like if there were no government regulations associated with any vehicles licensed to be driven on the street for day to day transportation?

What would yours be? Judging by your sig vehicles you're not too picky..

Here in Arizona away from the metro areas people drive what they want, period. I see 60s daily drivers, pickups with the cab cut off including the top of the windshield frame, cars with no fenders or hood. Rat rods, T-buckets, trucks on 44s, quads, etc. daily driven.

In Pennsylvania where I spent most of my life the choices were limited by environmental factors...RUST.. so you really couldn't drive, say, an 84 Civic because there just weren't any left.

Today's cars are have more power, are more efficient, and are safer than anything BITD. Will they last 30 trouble-free years? Who knows and who cares?

My perfect DD if I had to do highway driving would be a stripped-down Volvo 740 wagon, A/C, manual trans, no sunroof, no roof rack, no leather, etc. Naturally aspirated red block 4 cylinder.

If I was going to be on surface streets, I would LOVE to have a 1978-80 Ford Fiesta, with very little on it but a 5 speed conversion and a Recaro driver's seat for my aching back.

For that matter, a 2 door, late 60s, early 70s Dodge Dart, slant six/auto, A/C, bench seats, dog dish hubcaps on steelies and a cool light greenish-silver color would be slick.

Don't care about going fast, just like durability and simplicity.

My current M235i or my dearly departed E24 M6- along with a 1970 Camaro Z/28 RS to add a bit of variety.
Basically anything that makes me smile...

The government doesn't stop me from driving anything? What do you mean? I mean I guess maybe a tank or a monster truck isn't allowed.

You can drive a tank in the UK on example. But not the states. All but one of the cars I listed where not sold in the states

Since I'm no longer twenty, probably about what we drive now.
There is little in governmental regulation that greatly restricts what anyone can drive.
I would like to have a Honda Beat as a good weather driver, though. Can't legally import one, although as they grow older it'll be possible.

I liked my Jetta. Turbo diesel, 5 speed manual. No TPMS, traction control, and a number of other mandated things today. Small, nimble, long cruising range. Good visibility.

That said, being in a northern state, my "other" daily driver (for winter duties) might be a Subaru. Something AWD. I don't see the need for daily AWD, but I bet it'd be nice in winter weather.

Of course, if *money* wasn't a limiting factor either, I'd have a third and maybe fourth vehicle. Not daily drivers but otherwise optimized for particular needs. I suspect the liberal in me would want to keep emissions systems up to snuff and to achieve good mpg's. The redneck in me would still have a lifted 4x4 for occasional fun.

Now if we could have some Autobahn-inspired highways...

Something with a loud exhaust and no catalytic converters, oops I already have that, not as a daily driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back