Meguirs Teck Wax 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so I could not decide on a wax for my Mustang today after a while all the brands start to look the same so I picked the best looking box! .. Ok so how bad did I do I bought Meguirs Teck Wax 2.0 any good?

NXT 2.0 is a good wax/sealant. But its dated and there are options out there with MUCH improved durability. Use it an enjoy. When its gone look at meguiars "Ultimate" line if you liked NXT.

Megs doesn't make a "Sealant", there's really no such thing.

Their "Ultimate" is fine, use it with confidence, just remember to apply in back and forth and not circular) motions to avoid the dreaded swirls.

Sealant is just a common marketing term used to differentiate between a carnauba type wax and a synthetic wax. True, megs doesn't use that term in their marketing but its not really accurate to say they "dont" make a sealant.

Originally Posted By: buck91
Sealant is just a common marketing term used to differentiate between a carnauba type wax and a synthetic wax. True, megs doesn't use that term in their marketing but its not really accurate to say they "dont" make a sealant.

I totally agree with you, it is a sealant but not a very good one. Megs Tech 2.0 was the most disappointing product I ever bought. It looks great initially but has no staying power at all. Longevity is not in its makeup. I gave it away after using it once.

I just put the NXT 2.0 on my Camry today for its first waxing. Will see how long it lasts.

Wow, no love for NXT... I used it for a few years on my 96 and it really did work well. A couple months of water beading with a nice gloss. Like I said above its not the best out there, and certainly isn't any more but its a decent product and you certainly won't hurt anything using it!

I used up my stash on bike frames after switching to newer products for my cars. It does look nice when new and lasts longer than some waxes, especially the old school types.

2 months of protection is not enough. Better finishes and 2x longer protection can be had.

I do like the product, and am aware of its durability limitations. I find it's very easy to apply, and that makes up for durability, at least for me. I'd rather have a product I can apply every couple months in under an hour versus spending a whole day with a product with much longer durability.

Wow, no love for NXT... I used it for a few years on my 96 and it really did work well. A couple months of water beading with a nice gloss. Like I said above its not the best out there, and certainly isn't any more but its a decent product and you certainly won't hurt anything using it!

I used up my stash on bike frames after switching to newer products for my cars. It does look nice when new and lasts longer than some waxes, especially the old school types.

It was like Halo on the XBox. Halo was it. That is all there was to it. Then began the hype for Halo 2. I didnt buy into it, in fact I despised whatever was going on because I knew it could not get better than Century Edition.....they kept delaying the arrival....then it appeared, XBConnect went downhill, blah blah blah, yada yada yada, end of an era.

Moral is, Gold class was and is a nice product, then NxT arrived for whatever purpose?? But at least they still supply the Gold class, albeit with carnauba plus or something different from the original formula.

Originally Posted By: Garak
I do like the product, and am aware of its durability limitations. I find it's very easy to apply, and that makes up for durability, at least for me. I'd rather have a product I can apply every couple months in under an hour versus spending a whole day with a product with much longer durability.

What is this mystery product that requires "a whole day." FWIW I have the NXT 2.0 and the product in the link I posted is much easier and quicker to apply and remove. No waiting for the product to dry, goes on thinner, comes off easier.

I've got a tub of the NXT Tech Wax 2.0 - Paste - at home, and I use it on my daily driver. I apply it with an orbital polisher and a soft pad, and I usually apply two coats.

I can attest to the "it doesn't seem to last as long as I'd like", but I'd say that when properly applied, and topped up regularly with a spray wax like Meg's Ultimate Quik Wax, it holds up decently.

There was a really good thread a while back on the Meguiar's forum explaining some of their product naming strategy and where they use certain terms.

Megs apply the term "wax" for all finish paint protection in their *consumer* line. Ultimate, NXT, Gold Class, and Cleaner are all referred to as "wax", regardless if their composition is a synthetic polymer or carnauba wax.

Moving to the professional Mirror Glaze line, they are a little more descriptive in the product naming. M20 Polymer Sealant and M21 Synthetic Sealent 2.0 are explicitly described as sealants and M26 Hi-Tech Yellow Wax is a wax.

The explanation given is that for the guy walking into an auto parts store and looking on the shelf, a finishing product is a "wax" and using more accurate terms like "sealant" creates confusion. Users of their professional products are more likely to understand and not be confused by the differences.

Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
What is this mystery product that requires "a whole day." FWIW I have the NXT 2.0 and the product in the link I posted is much easier and quicker to apply and remove. No waiting for the product to dry, goes on thinner, comes off easier.

What I'm getting at is that we have people that spend a lot of time on the finish of their cars. We also have products that are much more difficult to apply. We also have products that aren't readily available, like the product you mentioned. I can go to Walmart, Canadian Tire, any parts store, and any car wash, and buy NXT. Here, if I want the product you mentioned, I'm ordering online, or I'm simply not getting it.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy

What I'm getting at is that we have people that spend a lot of time on the finish of their cars. We also have products that are much more difficult to apply. We also have products that aren't readily available, like the product you mentioned. I can go to Walmart, Canadian Tire, any parts store, and any car wash, and buy NXT. Here, if I want the product you mentioned, I'm ordering online, or I'm simply not getting it.

Again, what products are difficult to apply that work better? Name one for me. Judging by where you shop and this conversation I am not sure you even know of quality detailing products. It is in your best interest to check it out, the results are visible and rewarding.

What you're saying is you'd rather drive to a store and buy an inferior product that will last 40% as long and take 100% longer to apply and remove. Rather than click a button and have something superior shipped to your house. I look at it differently.

Most of the detailing supplies they sell at those stores you mentioned are retail products that are mediocre at best. People who do real detailing and paint correction (like me) will tell you that it is junk all day long. I've made many purchases and spent years trying different products, but I quickly realized the difference. In the long run it is cheaper to buy better.

The quality products Megs makes are in their Detailer Line that is not sold in stores. Notice no NXT 2.0 in here. http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-professional-products.html I use two of their products, I have a gallon of 105 cutting compound and 205 cutting compound. And they are not great in comparison to alternative professional products, but effective for their price range.

Here is a 13 year old Mercedes that was a mess. I cut the paint and applied that product I linked. Actually skipped a couple steps, no fine polishing, no glaze, no carnuba. Just raw paint and a sealant. Cell phone pic. It beaded water for 5 months sitting outside.

7992964915_4eaad390e2_k.jpg

Scratched up Escalade, same process.

8052397119_56a8c11910_k.jpg

8052402366_00b963d701_k.jpg

8052431059_bc10a0dd45_k.jpg

Subaru that I have now, light cut and this on top. http://www.autogeek.net/pinsouvwax.html No photo effects.

before

25873356166_8b03633e9a_k.jpg

after

25266530494_2d1421397e_k.jpg

25653374545_98e10dad81_k.jpg

25285772319_2a575aaba3_k.jpg

Paste waxes are often more durable, and take longer to apply, even within one product line and similar price range. Meguiar's gold is even an example. As for where I shop, don't presume to know where I shop. I was pointing out that these products are readily available. The product you mentioned, and I have to repeat myself, is only available to most people online.

I'm not having a war about which product is better, at all. I'm stating that Meguiar's NXT 2.0 is readily available, does an acceptable job, and is easy to apply. If a motorist does that, he's already well ahead of most car owners anyhow. And I am well aware of Meguiar's professional products. As I've mentioned in other threads, I deal directly with some of these chemical companies as part of one of my businesses.

The product you pointed out is sold out at the Canadian distributor, and it's 75% more than retail NXT. Note that the supplier I'm quoting for Wolfgang generally beats normal retail on pricing, so this is an expensive product. I do buy detailing products online, all the time. And, I order some products in industrial quantities.

So, yes, tell me more about a product priced way higher than NXT, and that I can't even buy. I'll put in on my shelf next to my PUP. Oh wait, I can't really get that, either.

I went down into my basement to look because I thought I had in my products of the past bin some of this NXT 2.0 Paste. But I have the original NXT, which always was tough to remove. A quick glance online shows that NXT 2.0 was a big improvement in application and appearance, but I see the same recurring sentiment that it is not durable. It also has cleaning agents in it so you can not effectively layer it, which contradicts Meguiars general advice that you want 2 applications for even coverage. Normally sealants should not have cleaning properties and allow layering (which does improve finish quality).

The reason Meguiars puts cleaning agents in their wax is they know their normal retail customers are not usually doing a proper, wash, clay bar, wash, seal. They wash and seal, to help get a smoother feeling finish they put cleaners in to make up for lack of prep work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back