WM TLE going ECore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: chainblu
I had a feeling this was going to happen. Hey, I guess they had to do something with all those ST filters that got sent back.

Those ST filters either got crushed for scrap or sent to a third party liquidator.

They would not have wasted the time to unpackage, repaint and relabel all those ST filter for reuse.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
I had a feeling this was going to happen. Hey, I guess they had to do something with all those ST filters that got sent back.

Those ST filters either got crushed for scrap or sent to a third party liquidator.

They would not have wasted the time to unpackage, repaint and relabel all those ST filter for reuse.

I know Hoot, it was just a little tongue-in-cheek. Not 100% positive, but actually the filters look a little shorter than the ST versions...

They got clearanced out. Marked down more and more until they sold.
The Ecore design is cheaper to produce. Now is it better than the Orange Can? 6 in one, half a dozen the other, IMO.

For small sizes, the Ecore design cannot be used. IIRC, its under 3" in diameter.

Last edited:
Interesting that another cost-cutting measure is that the TLE filters aren't painted orange; they are simply 'painted' in the grippy stuff with a label on them.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
They got clearanced out. Marked down more and more until they sold.

I guess it depends on the individual store. The last time I saw a ST filter in my local WM, they were all piled in a shopping cart headed to the back of the store, never to be seen again. I WISH they had clearanced them!

For small sizes, the Ecore design cannot be used. IIRC, its under 3" in diameter.

That's probably correct, but then again a 9688 or 3593 is as big as a 3614. No big deal, I just thought it was curious.

chainblu: same here dude.....ours were not clearanced locally....I even consulted the department manager who I am "close" with (she orders me my oil.....lol).....and she said she could not sell them.....they had to all be sent to their claims area.....and yep, they got sent back to Champ Labs or whoever......kind of crazy.....cause yea.....I'm sure they would later be shipped off to Big Lots or soemthing :p BUT.....then again....when was the last time you've seen "store brand generic" at an outlet/discount store....? I have not.....Since SuperTech is a store brand generic.....it's likely they were just "recycled" as any other used oil filter(s)
frown.gif
Kind of crazy....

But yes......funny cause I actually came here about to alert to this.....Though I'm a long time reader/poster....I don't understand the squirmish over the "e core" stuff.....or perhaps I'm not understanding what is "wrong" about it....?

But yea, I was kind of alarmed when the department manager told me of these new filters.....she even showed me the list....and yea, it basically takes 20+ filters, and consolidates them to 9 or so filters
wink.gif

She said she doesn't anticipate any "squirmish" cause yea.....the majority who take their cars to walmart "don't know any better" or don't care what filter goes on there :p Amd well, if people have problems, they can always carry-in their own Motorcraft, Mobil1, K&N, etc....oil filter to be installed on their vehicle.

I was kind of curious though.....cause yea, the "3614" she showed me was "SIGNIFICANTLY" tinier than my PH3614 on my car now now....lol.

framcore.jpg

Replaces PH3614, PH3600, PH8316

I can't imagine going from a 3600 to these new "dinky" filters......BUT.....[censored]....she said a couple of other lube joints have been doing this for YEARS......and they haven't had any complaints (or claims.....lol).

It really makes one think.....how important, really.....is an oil filter...? Lol....Obviously, they are required.....since the manufacturers put them in or you'll have oil pouring out of the oil filter mounting plate :p Lol.....but yea.....kind of crazy. On the other hand.....I can see the "smaller" filter being better for those cold starts I guess...? hehee.

framcore.jpg

Replaces PH3614, PH3600, PH8316

Interesting that they went will an all grippy coating like the PureOne.

The Fram Ecore, the creme de la creme of oil filters. And consolidating applications to the smallest applicable size no less.

On the plus side, unlike the newer Frams, it appears the TLE ecore still maintains it's secondary tapping plate to make installation easier for the TLE mech's.

Wonder if one asks for a Puro Classic instead if's it's $3.27 extra, or less? Either way, worth it imo.

Originally Posted By: sayjac

Wonder if one asks for a Puro Classic instead if's it's $3.27 extra, or less? Either way, worth it imo.

IIRC they would give you a couple dollars credit for the Fram they didn't use and you would pay the difference. So a buck and change would get you a Classic. I don't think it's that common, though. Most folk who use 'express lubes' just aren't that "into" the oil filter scene.

Like Ahoier alluded to, most couldn't care less.

Quote:
Looks like a shrunk-down Valucraft from AZ with grippy paint. Looks like WM is forcing it's suppliers to go cheaper again!

Looks most like the current STP sold at AZ, (or discountinued ST), only with texture and now consolidated/downsized applications. Very similar to what is currently used at Firestone stores for oil/filter service. Based on that, seems less specific to Wally. Somewhat understandable imo with the current Wally shelf price for the popular 7317 orange can at ~$4.65, a little pricey for all that engineered media technology. And, with Fram having the same owner as Champ, they still keep the contract providing a cheaper filter.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
IIRC they would give you a couple dollars credit for the Fram they didn't use and you would pay the difference. So a buck and change would get you a Classic. I don't think it's that common, though. Most folk who use 'express lubes' just aren't that "into" the oil filter scene.

Like Ahoier alluded to, most couldn't care less.

True that. Just curious how a substitution would work, seems fair.

Yeah, right now most Fram Pro sizes are 2.09 and if you ask for say a Motorcraft you get that back off the oil change price. So you just pay the difference.

I just seen a box of these at a local WalMart ,,I inquired about them being in a open case and not and the employee said that is how they come off the truck and they can't send them back ,,I think a instore mechanic tossed them to the shelf where the oil is because they was not individually packaged

Even though these don't seem to pass the BITOG sniff test, Millions will likely be sold with little trouble.

I will hold back on a decision until after I have cut one, used and cut one over a specified oil change.

Frankenstein Fram filters, parts getting switched around inside the canisters. Now Mann owns Wix, will they start to do the same?

Originally Posted By: diddlyd
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Don't you love how companies try and make a "cheapening" of the product a selling point. Hilarious!

Sad part is that very few consumers know the technical aspects of the situation.

the 20 people here on these forums will wring their hands over it. the millions of people who get these filters installed each year will have no problems and happily not waste a moment thinking about it.

so now, who loses?

Those millions are undoubtedly wasting their time fighting and wringing hands over some other product, be it cell phones or computers or places to eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back