How well does Rislone Concentrate work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the title states, how well does this stuff clean sludge and deposits.

Please NO Auto RX salesmen.
frown.gif

Do what most backyard mechanics did that is actually effective: Use motor flush. The brand does not matter as it's kerosene. It works.
wmhwmw.jpg

I always heard that Rislone could be pretty harsh on your engine. But about 15 years ago I used it in a 1990's Izuzu Trooper that I bought used---didn't notice a big difference. Engine may have run a bit quieter after using it by the directions.

I would prefer a slower cleaning thru multiple oil changes rather than risk busting up some gunk and clogging engine oil galleys which would lead to a burned up engine.

Not much out there on Rislone Oil Treatment. It's been around forever, and it does have active ingredients that don't come back on a VOA like most cleaners you can run in your OCI.

From what I've found in the past it is a slower cleaner, most of it anecdotal evidence.

If the engine is relatively clean but has a few spots you are concerned about Rislone or MMO will probably be ok.
I have a truck with a tick and I've tried short OCIs and MMO in before. Right now I've got 1 quart of Rislone Oil Treatment in it. It still ticks.

However, for inermediate to serious sludge I'd go with just a High Mileage oil and short oil change intervals.
Low and slow is the way to go.
It's when you go fast that you clog a oil screen while away from home.

If you do want to go fast I recommend that you use a premium product.
I hear good things about Amsoil's engine flush, and great things about Kano Laboratories Kreen engine cleaner.

Above all else. If it comes with directions, FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS

Originally Posted By: JC1
I tried it years ago. Save your money.

What's your oil and filter combo?

Vehicle is a '01 Dodge Grand Caravan. Probably seen it on here before with pictures such as valve train or cut open filters.

I was using PYB 5W30 with an Oversize PH8A sized filter. Hastings LF115 currently. With a dose of MMO once in a while.

Right now I put in Mobil Delvac 1300 10W30 with 500ML of Rislone Concentrate with a Hastings LF115. Hoping if anyone on here had an idea if it worked or not.

SuperDave: High mileage oils are very expensive up in Canada. I can pick up PP 5W30 for $5/qt where as QS Defy is about $4.25. VML never goes on sale. If it did I would use it. But its about $33 for 5 litres of it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Farmer

Vehicle is a '01 Dodge Grand Caravan. Probably seen it on here before with pictures such as valve train or cut open filters.

I was using PYB 5W30 with an Oversize PH8A sized filter. Hastings LF115 currently. With a dose of MMO once in a while.

Right now I put in Mobil Delvac 1300 10W30 with 500ML of Rislone Concentrate with a Hastings LF115. Hoping if anyone on here had an idea if it worked or not.

SuperDave: High mileage oils are very expensive up in Canada. I can pick up PP 5W30 for $5/qt where as QS Defy is about $4.25. VML never goes on sale. If it did I would use it. But its about $33 for 5 litres of it.

How bad is the sludge under the valve cover? Do you have links to the pics?

If it's only a small amount, then I would just use whatever oil you can get PYB or otherwise on sale. Canadian Tire had 4.73L Jugs of PP on sale across the country (not every location) for $25-27 a jug.

Originally Posted By: Farmer

How bad is the sludge under the valve cover? Do you have links to the pics?

If it's only a small amount, then I would just use whatever oil you can get PYB or otherwise on sale. Canadian Tire had 4.73L Jugs of PP on sale across the country (not every location) for $25-27 a jug.

Yes I have pictures on here you'll have to look in my posts it's titled "valvetrain update" or something along those lines. I have already bought some PP from that sale. As I posted to share about it. Seems like PYB isn't really cleaning it anymore.

If you have a sludge monster, just fill it with diesel and run it at idle for 10 minutes. Drain and fill with inexpensive synthetic (SuperTech) and run short OCI's like 3K... Low sulfur diesel will cut through a LOT
laugh.gif

I use Rislone Oil Treatment (yellow bottle) on some motors that have possible stuck ring issues. If that does not help, they get soaked over night with Break-Free (carbon gun solvent) in through the plug hole. Then drive it and away we go...

If minor sludge, just run HDEO like Rotella and drive on. Run biggest premium filter that will physically fit to catch as much as possible
smile.gif

Last edited:
Supertech is really expensive up here in Canada. Me buying PP 5W30 is going to be the cheapest. But I already have 8 5Qt containers in my stash.

I have two left over jugs of Castrol Syntec 5W30 so I might use that first.

Here is the update thread you mentioned.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3968183/Hastings_LF115._'01_Dodge_G/C_

Last edited:
" Rislone Engine Treatment from quart bottle (32 oz.) version.

Physical Tests:

Viscosity (cSt 40C) 43.0
Viscosity (cSt 100C) 8.0
Additives (ppm):
Magnesium (Mg) 3
Calcium (Ca) 1935
Phosphorus (P) 422
Zinc (Zn) 503
Boron (B) 8
TMP Ester 11% by weight.

The amount of ZDDP is at a level to supplant the MO's ZDDP when this stuff is added"

Thanks Molakule!

Originally Posted By: WellOiled
Here is the update thread you mentioned.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3968183/Hastings_LF115._'01_Dodge_G/C_

Thank you for finding the thread. I was on my phone earlier. Since the last update this was the only OCI it has had. 1172KM ago to be exact.

Thanks for the specs on Rislone MrQuackers. I assume the Esters in it does the work?

I have used Rislone in the past. It is a pretty safe, slow sludge dissolver/engine cleaner. I would say it is a slightly better alternative to MMO but it is not as versatile.

My 03 Maxima has oil consumption issues. Seems common for these. Only has 110k miles and was always maintained. I installed a new PCV valve and oil catch can to see how much was coming through the PCV. My brother was driving behind me and said still a puff of smoke sometimes when I take away from a stop. Oil must be coming from somewhere, and research says might be rings.
I plan on using the engine flush before my next oil change, and filling with the Rislone concentrate and PHM 10w40 and see if anything is improved. That combo should clean pretty well.

Rislone works with minor sludge problems. The after-effects is what you will notice. It'll either quiet your engine or clean it up a little. Your oil drain pan will tell you if it's working. Unscrew the drain bolt and watch the old oil empty into your pan. You may see a clump or five clumps coming out. The contents in that plastic oil pan will look nastier than normal.

Rislone Works! But it works lightly and slowly. I leave it in the engine for 3K.

Its either the rings or the valve stem seals - if it happens when you accelerate from a stop.

My money is on the rings.

Try BG EPR - - It really helped out our audi oil drinker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back