Mechanics of no-fault insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.
In most states, if you are not at fault in an accident, you would file a claim with the other driver's insurance provider.

How does that work in a state with no-fault insurance laws such as Michigan? Is it the same, or do you have to file a claim with your own insurance?

You file with your own insurance. 1) Reduced litigation costs should decrease insurance company loss ratios and therefore premiums, but any savings is more than taken up by Michigan's lifetime medical benefits for auto claims. 2) You never have a situation where the insurance companies point the finger at each other and the car sits in a towyard for months.

But you can collect your collision deductible from the other person's insurance. I live in Michigan and just did that (well I don't have collision insurance) but collected $1000 from the other person's insurance after submitting a repair estimate which was somewhat higher than $1000, so I think $1000 is the limit that you can collect and is supposed to cover your collision deductible if you have collision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back